Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

skiclimb

May 27, 2013, 4:43 AM
Post #26 of 36 (6542 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zchandran] Aid downclimbing to avoid bail biners? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

jeez I just thread my rope through the hanger and rap off when I am that hard up for a biner.

(This post was edited by skiclimb on May 27, 2013, 4:45 AM)

marc801

May 27, 2013, 2:56 PM
Post #27 of 36 (6511 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skiclimb] Aid downclimbing to avoid bail biners? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

skiclimb wrote:
jeez I just thread my rope through the hanger and rap off when I am that hard up for a biner.
And there are thousands of bolts where the friction would prevent you from pulling the rope down. Good way to trash a rope as well.

csproul

May 27, 2013, 8:42 PM
Post #28 of 36 (6497 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Aid downclimbing to avoid bail biners? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
skiclimb wrote:
And there are thousands of bolts where the friction would prevent you from pulling the rope down. Good way to trash a rope as well.
Can you even fit a rope and a biner (got to stay clipped into something, right?!) into an average hanger?

marc801

May 27, 2013, 9:02 PM
Post #29 of 36 (6492 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Aid downclimbing to avoid bail biners? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
Can you even fit a rope and a biner (got to stay clipped into something, right?!) into an average hanger?
Maybe, marginally, with a thin enough cord and tiny enough biner....but probably not.

Perhaps skiclimb only climbs in areas where they use the big, honking glue-ins, which would likely have both enough space and are smooth enough to allow a pull-down.

doktor_g

May 28, 2013, 7:54 PM
Post #30 of 36 (6450 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skiclimb] Aid downclimbing to avoid bail biners? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

skiclimb wrote:

Quick way to meet your doom. This is joke (I hope). Skiclimb seems to be a wall veteran but zchandran isn't. Skiclimb is kidding. Don't do this, please. Just leave a biner. It costs as much as a McDonalds burger... and healthier

DrG

dynosore

May 28, 2013, 8:21 PM
Post #31 of 36 (6443 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

How much do you spend on gas and food each time you go out? You're worried about a $5 biner? Consider it tuition. Even a sport rack, rope, shoes, and harness are going to set you back $500 easy. If you're not willing to spend 1% of that so you don't clog up a route with cheap quicklinks, or worse crater trying to get cute to save a biner, might I suggest a different hobby?

zchandran

May 28, 2013, 8:56 PM
Post #32 of 36 (6429 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Aid downclimbing to avoid bail biners? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
How much do you spend on gas and food each time you go out? You're worried about a $5 biner? Consider it tuition. Even a sport rack, rope, shoes, and harness are going to set you back $500 easy. If you're not willing to spend 1% of that so you don't clog up a route with cheap quicklinks, or worse crater trying to get cute to save a biner, might I suggest a different hobby?

I've been leaving bail biners for years, so a better way to phrase this would have been:

"What gear would an experienced aid climber use in order to avoid leaving a bail biner?"

I'm not as worried about bail biners as I am about, say, a linkcam. I miss out on trying a lot of crack climbs just because I don't want to leave a cam if I have to bail. I figure the same technique would work there as well.

Bottom line - I think the answer is that I need to learn basic aid climbing before considering anything else. When I think about it, on a lot of these routes it would be easier to aid upclimb to the anchors, rather than aid downclimb. I just splurged on some basic aid gear such as two etriers, a foot loop, and fifi hook. I'm going to start working on some A0 and A1 sections this season, and take it from there.

csproul

May 28, 2013, 9:57 PM
Post #33 of 36 (6420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

zchandran wrote:
dynosore wrote:

I've been leaving bail biners for years, so a better way to phrase this would have been:

"What gear would an experienced aid climber use in order to avoid leaving a bail biner?"

I'm not as worried about bail biners as I am about, say, a linkcam. I miss out on trying a lot of crack climbs just because I don't want to leave a cam if I have to bail. I figure the same technique would work there as well.

Bottom line - I think the answer is that I need to learn basic aid climbing before considering anything else. When I think about it, on a lot of these routes it would be easier to aid upclimb to the anchors, rather than aid downclimb. I just splurged on some basic aid gear such as two etriers, a foot loop, and fifi hook. I'm going to start working on some A0 and A1 sections this season, and take it from there.
Are you going to have all that shit with you every time you try a crack climb that is hard for you? No, of course not! Learn to aid through short sections of climbing by using what you have on hand; your climbing gear and a few slings and some draws. Stand in slings, or tie a double sling in the middle for a two-step aider. Use a quickdraw for a fifi if you need one (you usually don't). No need to go buy aiders, a foot loop (whatever that is) and a fifi just to learn to aid enough to get you through free climbs that are too hard for you.

doktor_g

May 28, 2013, 10:29 PM
Post #34 of 36 (6412 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Aid downclimbing to avoid bail biners? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

seriously?
I'm an experienced aid climber. 4+ el cap ascents. other valley walls. several wall bails. a handful of rescues....

If I bail, I use a bail biner.... end of story. If I bail on an alpine climb I build an anchor (sometimes with cams) and say f^ck it. My life is worth more than a cam... or a biner... or my buddy's cam (especially my buddy's cam). Lol.

Now go by some aiders and come to the dark side! Bring extra biners...

hyhuu

May 29, 2013, 4:09 PM
Post #35 of 36 (6364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bring a ropegun. Buy him/her a beer occasionally.

5.samadhi

May 29, 2013, 6:58 PM
Post #36 of 36 (6341 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hyhuu] Aid downclimbing to avoid bail biners? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oh man just leave a bail biner, whats the big deal? Do you routinely try routes that you can't even hang your way up? If so maybe you should rethink what routes you are jumping on???

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook