RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

Rockclimber249

May 29, 2013, 3:29 AM
Post #1 of 6 (5453 views)
Shortcut

Good Rappelling Rope????
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys/gals I am looking to buy a 200 foot long static rope for mostly rappelling. I want it to be really rugged and tough so if it goes over a rock it wont get cut and/or frayed. I would think a thicker rope would be tougher right? I found some pay-by-the-foot rope at REI for around .85$ a foot at 11mm. I bought around 80ft of it for practicing ascending in my yard and for being tied into the rock when setting up tope rope. It has only gotten dirty and is just fine(not fraying), but has only seen light use a few times a year and I just love it, but I want a rope I know will be there for awhile. Other than that what would be a GREAT rope for rappelling. At least 200 feet long. Thanks.

mitchy

May 29, 2013, 1:31 PM
Post #2 of 6 (5395 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rockclimber249] Good Rappelling Rope???? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out the Sterling Super Static, 200ft. for around $200.00 bucks. It's freaking burly.

acorneau

May 29, 2013, 1:33 PM
Post #3 of 6 (5395 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rockclimber249 wrote:
Hey guys/gals I am looking to buy a 200 foot long static rope for mostly rappelling. I want it to be really rugged and tough so if it goes over a rock it wont get cut and/or frayed. I would think a thicker rope would be tougher right? I found some pay-by-the-foot rope at REI for around .85$ a foot at 11mm. I bought around 80ft of it for practicing ascending in my yard and for being tied into the rock when setting up tope rope. It has only gotten dirty and is just fine(not fraying), but has only seen light use a few times a year and I just love it, but I want a rope I know will be there for awhile. Other than that what would be a GREAT rope for rappelling. At least 200 feet long. Thanks.

You want a 7/16" (or 11mm) static rope like the Blue Water II, PMI EZ-Bend, or Sterling SuperStatic.

You'll probably have to order a 200' (60m) rope as many stores don't carry that size in-stock. Also, buy yourself a rope protector or two for any sharp edges.

I've used a BWII static for top-rope anchor building for years and it still looks great.

acorneau

May 29, 2013, 1:36 PM
Post #4 of 6 (5394 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mitchy] Good Rappelling Rope???? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mitchy wrote:
Check out the Sterling Super Static, 200ft. for around $200.00 bucks. It's freaking burly.

Even better: Sterling HTP 7/16" x 200' for $130.

http://www.sterlingrope.com/.../o-P110/_/716%22_HTP

majid_sabet

May 29, 2013, 4:53 PM
Post #5 of 6 (5357 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rockclimber249 wrote:

200ft of rope on ebay sales for about $110 all day long. I bought a few sterling and PMI from ebay, no problem

billcoe_

Jun 5, 2013, 8:05 PM
Post #6 of 6 (5192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Good Rappelling Rope???? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought a full roll of 1/2" diameter Sterling HTC. I was unable to damage it in any way after 5 years, fortunately, someone finally stole the most used one. Damned thing had seen a lot of use and had also spent 2 full climbing seasons hanging on a sharp edge gritty rope wearing environment while I cleaned, tossed rocks and worked. I'd go home and just leave it there. Must have rapped and jugged hundreds of times. All that happened is that the rope got stiffer.... and stiffer. Finally, it was about a grade of hardness about mild steel and someone stole it off a new project at a new area. HAHAHAHA! Serves them right. Stiff as wire and now they are stuck with it. I'm sure that they won't be able to kill it.

Downside - heavy rope. I have the other 2 pieces, one a 70m and one a 60m. They're still in great shape. Check yer rap device, this thing clocks in at approx M12.5 thick. It works fine but tight in a gri gri and a Edelrid Eddy if you have one of those.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook