Forums: Community: Campground:
Sty's Post Count Increaser
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 1723 1724 1725 1726 1727 1728 1729 1730 1731 ... 1814 Next page Last page  View All

Gmburns2000

May 30, 2013, 6:59 PM
Post #43151 of 45342 (4811 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

taking advantage of donny's broken keyboard and snagging the PT

Gmburns2000

May 30, 2013, 7:00 PM
Post #43152 of 45342 (4810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000

May 30, 2013, 7:03 PM
Post #43153 of 45342 (4809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

btw - not sure how this came up recently, but i was in a conversation about South Park. I haven't seen it in years and don't know any of the new characters, but I still think Big Gay Al's Big Gay Animal Sanctuary is the best episode they've ever done. I think that was the third episode. Talk about blowing their load early eh?

Partner epoch

May 30, 2013, 8:12 PM
Post #43154 of 45342 (4802 views)
Shortcut

Re: [donald949] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
So speaking of washing ropes. As I noted I washed my 2 60m ropes. Used the Sterling Wicked rope wash. Just dunked and sloshed them in a plastic tub. Got a ton of dirt out. Rinsed them about 6-8 times each, and by the end very little soap film in the water. But they still had a soapy feeling film on them as they dried.
Any one else notice this. Any recommendations on what to do? Use a diff soap? Let them soak overnight for the last rinse off? Is it just the way they feel when damp? Or???
Any help here?
Or am I going to have to post in general?????
When my roaps get old and dirty i buy a new one.

Partner epoch

May 30, 2013, 8:14 PM
Post #43155 of 45342 (4801 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
So speaking of washing ropes. As I noted I washed my 2 60m ropes. Used the Sterling Wicked rope wash. Just dunked and sloshed them in a plastic tub. Got a ton of dirt out. Rinsed them about 6-8 times each, and by the end very little soap film in the water. But they still had a soapy feeling film on them as they dried.
Any one else notice this. Any recommendations on what to do? Use a diff soap? Let them soak overnight for the last rinse off? Is it just the way they feel when damp? Or???
Any help here?
When my roaps get old and dirty i buy a new one.
when I need to wash one i daisy chain it all up nice and neat and use woolite, or a small meausure of nixwax.

Partner epoch

May 30, 2013, 8:23 PM
Post #43156 of 45342 (4797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Any help here?
PC++?

[image]http://wpb.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/31/2012/08/ferris-bueller-boring.png[/image]

I never liked washing my ropes. Yeah, it works to get the dirt off, but I've always found it took a long time to dry them.

I have no idea if that film is good or not. sorry

TL;DR: There is nothing wrong having a small film.

Back in my guiding days we would wash our core toproping ropes every two weeks or so as they would grime up pretty good with aluminum bits and dirt. Edelweiss ropes, nice ones, that went from yellow to brown. We would daisy them up all nice and stick them in the industrial front-loading washing machine we would use to wash rental gear in. Three ropes at a time with a cap full of Woolite; and in later days Nikwax. Wash, rinse, spin dry and then we'd run the cycle again without soap to get a full rinse on the ropes. For drying I made a custom rope rack in the back of the shop that we would saddle the ropes over. Could hold about 6 ropes without an issue.

In a moderately ventilated space in the Japanese humid summers the ropes would dry overnight and be ready for use the next day. Now, and even when I'm ice climbing, I'll wash a rope, set it through the cycle again to rinse it really good, and saddle it over a door in the house for drying. It's dry overnight.

If you are using a special rope wash there may be a bit of wax built into the wash composition. This is to aid in increasing the longevity of the rope being washed and to give it a bit of waterproofing. Usually I only wash a rope once in it's life - outside of the industrial applications of guiding - and usually the only ropes I wash are the dry-treated ones; knowing that the treatment helped keep the rope cleaner in the first place.

With the Sterling stuff, it is formulated for ropes and I wouldn't worry about a minute residue being present. It will help keep the rope supple and running through your devices. Oh, and get a rope bag. Use the rope bag - IKEA bags are great - and keep that rope off the ground! Seriously!

Partner epoch

May 30, 2013, 8:26 PM
Post #43157 of 45342 (4794 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Any help here?
PC++?

[image]http://wpb.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/31/2012/08/ferris-bueller-boring.png[/image]

I never liked washing my ropes. Yeah, it works to get the dirt off, but I've always found it took a long time to dry them.

I like washing the ropes occasionally.
My thinking goes. Get the dirt out, with less dirt there is less wear, and ropes last longer. Yea they take a long time to dry. But I'm not going anywhere anytime soon.
Thinking back now, I pretty sure the last time I washed one it got a film on it. The concern there is the soap will hold the dirt and the rope gets dirtier faster. Defeating the purpose.

where do you leave it to dry?

Mine have taken up to a week to dry in the past. Since I don't have a good indoor space to leave it for a week, it always seemed inconvenient.

I do get your point though.
I left mine outside basically in the shade for a day. But brought them in since then. Have an extra room, office/computer room. Sitting in the plastic tub I washed them in.

After rinsing with the Sterling rope wash they always feel a little slick, but it will be unnoticeable after it dries and a couple of pitches. Loop the rope over a clothesline outside in the shade, or inside over the shower rod (takes longer.)

We are in WV tonight; tomorrow I meet J-ung at his place for a few days and he is hooking me up with a whitewater run on the Lower New River. I don't think I will be able to climb here though, trying to save my climbing days away from the wife for out west in a week or so.

See if he'll show you his hole. Well, more likely he'll insist on showing you his hole.

Report back about Jung's giant hole, will ya? There still isn't any resolution about his hole or what's down in it!

Partner epoch

May 30, 2013, 8:28 PM
Post #43158 of 45342 (4793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
prepped a couple of canvases for work later. kind of excited about two particular projects. added two new piece of art to the site, too. one turned out pretty nice in spite of my inability to take a good picture of it (it has straight lines and I need the camera angle to be perfect to preserve those lines in the photo - didn't happen) and the other is a little disappointing. I thought it would be better than it was, but it just doesn't feel right. I think I'm going to paint another version.

This one I discovered via therapy. Yeah, seriously. My therapist asked me to paint about my childhood, so this is the one I did for the first seven years. Yes, the lines are straight in the original.

Infância

[image]http://www.gregmasonburns.com/uploads/1/7/5/5/17559949/4064483_orig.jpg?104[/image]

And this one I'm waiting back from the owner of the flamenco school I go to for drawing to get some info from her before I officially name it. At the moment, it's simply named "Flamenco" but I think it will be "Sevillana" or "Sevillanos"

Sevillana

both are small (20 x 30 cm) and oil on canvas.
Looks like a wonky uterus.

Gmburns2000

May 30, 2013, 8:31 PM
Post #43159 of 45342 (4789 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
prepped a couple of canvases for work later. kind of excited about two particular projects. added two new piece of art to the site, too. one turned out pretty nice in spite of my inability to take a good picture of it (it has straight lines and I need the camera angle to be perfect to preserve those lines in the photo - didn't happen) and the other is a little disappointing. I thought it would be better than it was, but it just doesn't feel right. I think I'm going to paint another version.

This one I discovered via therapy. Yeah, seriously. My therapist asked me to paint about my childhood, so this is the one I did for the first seven years. Yes, the lines are straight in the original.

Infância

[image]http://www.gregmasonburns.com/uploads/1/7/5/5/17559949/4064483_orig.jpg?104[/image]

And this one I'm waiting back from the owner of the flamenco school I go to for drawing to get some info from her before I officially name it. At the moment, it's simply named "Flamenco" but I think it will be "Sevillana" or "Sevillanos"

Sevillana

[image]http://www.gregmasonburns.com/uploads/1/7/5/5/17559949/701801_orig.jpg?151[/image]

both are small (20 x 30 cm) and oil on canvas.
Looks like a wonky uterus.

that's art for you. amazing what you'll see.

and yes, it's a woman.

donald949

May 30, 2013, 11:39 PM
Post #43160 of 45342 (4777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Ma, you here lurking???
Quick question. How is the climbing and skiing in your neck of the woods? Close/far, lots/little, easy/hard?
The reason I ask. We are having issues at my work location. While I haven't been actively looking for new employeement, I have looked at the different things that do end up coming my way unsolicited. ie linkedin. Turns out there are some jobs in the Richland area.

You going to hold out for the buyout or skip it and head off somewhere else before it happens?
Hard to say, some daze I'm ready to quit. Last couple of weeks have been more mellow. The problem is, I'm about 8 years from retirement. As such there is a significant amount that my retirement lump sum goes up every year.
Also, the buyout for me would be a little over years pay. Assuming the buy is the same as those who just left. I'm kind of caught between a rock and a hard place. Just holding tight for now.

donald949

May 30, 2013, 11:43 PM
Post #43161 of 45342 (4775 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
btw - not sure how this came up recently, but i was in a conversation about South Park. I haven't seen it in years and don't know any of the new characters, but I still think Big Gay Al's Big Gay Animal Sanctuary is the best episode they've ever done. I think that was the third episode. Talk about blowing their load early eh?

The Fonze waterskiing.

Gmburns2000

May 31, 2013, 12:03 AM
Post #43162 of 45342 (4772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Ma, you here lurking???
Quick question. How is the climbing and skiing in your neck of the woods? Close/far, lots/little, easy/hard?
The reason I ask. We are having issues at my work location. While I haven't been actively looking for new employeement, I have looked at the different things that do end up coming my way unsolicited. ie linkedin. Turns out there are some jobs in the Richland area.

You going to hold out for the buyout or skip it and head off somewhere else before it happens?
Hard to say, some daze I'm ready to quit. Last couple of weeks have been more mellow. The problem is, I'm about 8 years from retirement. As such there is a significant amount that my retirement lump sum goes up every year.
Also, the buyout for me would be a little over years pay. Assuming the buy is the same as those who just left. I'm kind of caught between a rock and a hard place. Just holding tight for now.

Yeah, hold on. Eight years isn't a lot of time. I know, it probably feels like eternity, but imagine how much extra you're getting for each year you stay. Make them make the move. It'll cost them more and you'll get more out of it.

I assume that the one-year buyout also includes an early retirement?

Gmburns2000

May 31, 2013, 12:04 AM
Post #43163 of 45342 (4771 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

The Fonze waterskiing.

you never heard the expression "jumping the shark"?

Partner macherry

May 31, 2013, 4:58 AM
Post #43164 of 45342 (4759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

donald949 wrote:
Ma, you here lurking???

climbing we're an hour away from frenchman's coulee...basalt fun. city of rocks is a weekend trip. close to levenworth and some other trad climbing. and bend is 3 hours away...smith rock.

as for skiing, i'm usually in canada for the winter. but crystal is a few hours away. small hill the blue is just over an hour. white pas is about 2hr. drive. good road biking.

i could pm you more info

edge

May 31, 2013, 9:08 PM
Post #43165 of 45342 (4744 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
edge wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Any help here?
PC++?

My thinking goes. Get the dirt out, with less dirt there is less wear, and ropes last longer. Yea they take a long time to dry. But I'm not going anywhere anytime soon.
Thinking back now, I pretty sure the last time I washed one it got a film on it. The concern there is the soap will hold the dirt and the rope gets dirtier faster. Defeating the purpose.

Mine have taken up to a week to dry in the past. Since I don't have a good indoor space to leave it for a week, it always seemed inconvenient.

I left mine outside basically in the shade for a day. But brought them in since then. Have an extra room, office/computer room. Sitting in the plastic tub I washed them in.

After rinsing with the Sterling rope wash they always feel a little slick, but it will be unnoticeable after it dries and a couple of pitches. Loop the rope over a clothesline outside in the shade, or inside over the shower rod (takes longer.)

We are in WV tonight; tomorrow I meet J-ung at his place for a few days and he is hooking me up with a whitewater run on the Lower New River. I don't think I will be able to climb here though, trying to save my climbing days away from the wife for out west in a week or so.

Have fun dude. It's been a wet spring and the water is up!

I'm rolling in Friday night and leaving sunday if you change your mind about the climbing.

Looks like I can get out Sat. Call me at 6038333037 ASAP.

Gmburns2000

May 31, 2013, 9:53 PM
Post #43166 of 45342 (4736 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
edge wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
donald949 wrote:
Any help here?
PC++?

Have fun dude. It's been a wet spring and the water is up!

I'm rolling in Friday night and leaving sunday if you change your mind about the climbing.

Looks like I can get out Sat. Call me at 6038333037 ASAP.

in case he doesn't call or read this, pm'd

Kartessa

Jun 1, 2013, 2:13 AM
Post #43167 of 45342 (4723 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sooo... since I'm newly unemployed, I had a lightbulb moment today and will be starting my own business in the next 2 weeks :)

Kartessa

Jun 1, 2013, 2:14 AM
Post #43168 of 45342 (4721 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] Sty's Post Count Increaser [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Sooo... since I'm newly unemployed, I had a lightbulb moment today and will be starting my own business in the next 2 weeks :)

There is much work to be done :)

edge

Jun 1, 2013, 2:20 AM
Post #43169 of 45342 (4713 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:

Will you be stocking halogen and LEDs, or strictly incandescents?

edge

Jun 1, 2013, 2:22 AM
Post #43170 of 45342 (4711 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Floated 7 miles of the Lower New River today with the wife; hoping NA returns my call so I can flail on sandstone tomorrow.

Gmburns2000

Jun 1, 2013, 2:22 AM
Post #43171 of 45342 (4710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Kartessa wrote:

Do tell so we can steal celebrate your idea.

Just kidding, of course, but enquiring minds want to know. small business with a big idea and long-term value, or just something to keep you going during your bouts of unemployment?

Kartessa

Jun 1, 2013, 2:39 AM
Post #43172 of 45342 (4706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Kartessa wrote:

Just kidding, of course, but enquiring minds want to know. small business with a big idea and long-term value, or just something to keep you going during your bouts of unemployment?

A bit of both... I'm mad-skilled in the kitchen and I'm setting a sales space to peddle my wares.

Kartessa

Jun 1, 2013, 2:43 AM
Post #43173 of 45342 (4699 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Kartessa wrote:

A bit of both... I'm mad-skilled in the kitchen and I'm setting a sales space to peddle my wares.

French pastries... non-medicinal unfortunately

Gmburns2000

Jun 1, 2013, 2:50 AM
Post #43174 of 45342 (4696 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
Kartessa wrote:
Kartessa wrote:

French pastries... non-medicinal unfortunately

sweet, sending some down south will help you expand to intl markets.

Gmburns2000

Jun 1, 2013, 2:51 AM
Post #43175 of 45342 (4695 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

which will also allow me to

First page Previous page 1 ... 1723 1724 1725 1726 1727 1728 1729 1730 1731 ... 1814 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook