RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

jberk

Jun 5, 2013, 8:43 PM
Post #1 of 16 (10193 views)
Shortcut

Rope Bag
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey I am pretty new to climbing but I see a bunch of people with rope bags that turn into a tarp on the ground so the rope stays clean. Is this really necessary? Should I just buy a cheep tarp at the home depot?

majid_sabet

Jun 5, 2013, 9:10 PM
Post #2 of 16 (10187 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jberk] Rope Bag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

jberk wrote:
Hey I am pretty new to climbing but I see a bunch of people with rope bags that turn into a tarp on the ground so the rope stays clean. Is this really necessary? Should I just buy a cheep tarp at the home depot?

buy a military duffel bag off ebay. its heavy duty and most come with straps and generally waterproof.

jberk

Jun 5, 2013, 9:19 PM
Post #3 of 16 (10170 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Rope Bag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
jberk wrote:

buy a military duffel bag off ebay. its heavy duty and most come with straps and generally waterproof.

Thats what I currently have. Ive been seeing rope bags that expand into a tarp for the ground so that while someone is belaying the rope lays on the tarp as opposed to the ground. Is this necessary?

majid_sabet

Jun 5, 2013, 9:23 PM
Post #4 of 16 (10166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jberk wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
jberk wrote:

Thats what I currently have. Ive been seeing rope bags that expand into a tarp for the ground so that while someone is belaying the rope lays on the tarp as opposed to the ground. Is this necessary?

the rope bag/tarp things are over priced and i generally just use small nylon tarp

dagibbs

Jun 5, 2013, 11:13 PM
Post #5 of 16 (10143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jberk wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
jberk wrote:

It isn't necessary, but it can be convenient.

If the ground is wet, or has lots of loose, especially loose & fine dust/sand, then it is a generally good idea to try and keep your rope (and other gear) away from it. A tarp is useful for this, but it doesn't have to be one built into your rope bag.

But, none of that is necessary. Lots of people coil their rope, and carry it strapped over their backup, and throw it on the rock/ground when they get there.

UpToTheOzone

Jun 5, 2013, 11:52 PM
Post #6 of 16 (10123 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dagibbs] Rope Bag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It will help keep the rope clean, especially if there is mud or crud on the ground. A tarp is fine, I used one for a couple years before buying a rope that included a ropebag. Paying $40 is ridiculous when a $5 tarp will suffice. On multipitch routes you will have to skip the rope bag anyways

gosharks

Jun 6, 2013, 2:57 AM
Post #7 of 16 (10099 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jberk wrote:
Necessary? No. But highly convenient. I never have to flake my rope out and also keeps it out of the dirt/mud. Packing up is also a simple 30s affair instead of having to stand there doing a butterfly coil.

kpb

Jun 6, 2013, 4:17 PM
Post #8 of 16 (10029 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Expensive rope bags are for suckas! A small, 6x8 tarp at REI costs $3-5.

If you want a bag for jumping from route to route at the crag, the Ikea shopping bag is the bomb.

iknowfear

Jun 6, 2013, 8:49 PM
Post #9 of 16 (10002 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kpb] Rope Bag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kpb wrote:
Expensive rope bags are for suckas! A small, 6x8 tarp at REI costs $3-5.

If you want a bag for jumping from route to route at the crag, the Ikea shopping bag is the bomb.

[image]http://www.climbingzine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/ikeabag-300x199.jpg[/image]

Ikea bags are great until the rope coils around the straps and makes a big mess. Plus the dust stays in.

I like rope bags:
no coiling (Coiling 60 m+ ropes is a bitch)
easy end finding
(Tip: if you always tie the top end to the bag with an overhand and the bottom with a fig8 you NEVER have to search for your rope end to start climbing...)
Your rope lives longer (less dirt )

I think you could spend your money on worse things than on a good rope bag. But its not necessary.

(This post was edited by iknowfear on Jun 6, 2013, 8:50 PM)

ChaseLeoncini

Jun 6, 2013, 11:01 PM
Post #10 of 16 (9985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Buying a rope bag can be expensive and there are much cheaper ways of keeping your rope clean and away from things that can hurt it as some have said above. But, if you are looking for a good name brand i personally like the Elderid Caddy Bag.
The rope sits in the middle of the bag and the tarp opens up around it. When your finished, pull up all corners of the tarp and the rope just slides in.
The tarp is about 6x6 too. Which is nice.

moose_droppings

Jun 7, 2013, 3:47 AM
Post #11 of 16 (9949 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

An old nylon backpack can be had for a song and hardly weighs anything, toss in a small tarp and your good to go for cragging. Pull the pack by itself out of your pocket on multipitch for flaking the rope into. Beats stacking the rope sometimes.

bearbreeder

Jun 9, 2013, 2:54 PM
Post #12 of 16 (9819 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iknowfear] Rope Bag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

iknowfear wrote:

Ikea bags are great until the rope coils around the straps and makes a big mess. Plus the dust stays in.

flake it properly into he bag and it wont catch on the straps

as to dirt IME its more likely that dirt will get kicked onto the tarp than a bag with walls

if dirt does get in ... just shake the bag out and re flake the rope into the bag ...

Wink

walkonyourhands

Jun 9, 2013, 7:41 PM
Post #13 of 16 (9800 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Rope Bag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
iknowfear wrote:

as to dirt IME its more likely that dirt will get kicked onto the tarp than a bag with walls

if dirt does get in ... just shake the bag out and re flake the rope into the bag ...

Wink

its that easy Tongue

Syd

Jun 9, 2013, 10:44 PM
Post #14 of 16 (9783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought a rope here and was surprised that they included a rope bag with built-in tarp free.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/climbing-ropes~d~191/

jberk

Jun 10, 2013, 3:31 AM
Post #15 of 16 (9757 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kpb] Rope Bag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks!! Just picked one up.

iknowfear

Jun 11, 2013, 11:36 AM
Post #16 of 16 (9692 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] Rope Bag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
iknowfear wrote:

Wink

If I wanted to flake my rope, I would not get a rope bag...
(yes, I'm THAT lazy)

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook