RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

CongoBrad

Jun 20, 2013, 7:16 AM
Post #1 of 10 (14906 views)
Shortcut

moved to the Demecratic Republic of Congo, time to route find
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have checked all the sites, none have routes for the Congo. I have learned that there is a 50 plus foot waterfall near the airport in Kinshasa, time to start setting routes. Does anyone know of any spots here?

rocknice2

Jun 20, 2013, 3:08 PM
Post #2 of 10 (14836 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CongoBrad] moved to the Demecratic Republic of Congo, time to route find [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's like the trail to Half Dome.

CongoBrad

Jun 20, 2013, 3:57 PM
Post #3 of 10 (14811 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] moved to the Demecratic Republic of Congo, time to route find [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

after more research it appears the route will be extra dirty, any tips for cleaning an extra dirty route? a screwdriver to scrape hard junk, wire brush for loose stuff, ...

CongoBrad

Jun 23, 2013, 4:48 PM
Post #4 of 10 (14731 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CongoBrad] moved to the Demecratic Republic of Congo, time to route find [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294187-d1065596-Reviews-Zongo_Falls-Kinshasa.html

I found pics of rocks at the waterfall, its on like donkykong

CongoBrad

Jun 27, 2013, 7:46 PM
Post #5 of 10 (14669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i found another spot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Mangengenge

This one looks even better, and its closer

CongoBrad

Aug 6, 2013, 4:57 AM
Post #6 of 10 (14483 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

So I made my first trip to Zongo Falls to route find! The walls at the Zongo resort were all REALLY wet, so no climbing there. The resort does own a beach about 45 minutes down a rough dirt road. If you pay the resort $6.00 they will supply a guide to show you the way. There is a 1/4 mile long wall that is perfect for climbing, it ranges from about 45 feet to 80 feet. It is a little slabby but has places for protection. it is vertical with nice overhangs.
I tired to find Mt Magengenge but got lost, I will try again soon and let you know what it is like.

distantThunder

Aug 9, 2013, 2:24 PM
Post #7 of 10 (14354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

congo man ... send us some stories about the Congo some time. or send me a PM. have a good time down there.

distantThunder

klimberbob

Sep 23, 2014, 7:35 PM
Post #8 of 10 (13602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CongoBrad - I am going to Brazzaville in a few weeks for work. I may have 1 day free mid week (a Wed) - is there any climbing nearby? Happy to meet up

caldo

Jan 23, 2016, 3:41 PM
Post #9 of 10 (12065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi CongoBrad,
I'm just arrived in Kinshasa and I will stay here for 3-4 years.
Looking climbers around.
Seen Zongo, very dirty rock around but few possibilities.
Still here ?
Caldo
Wink

Rokjox

Feb 22, 2016, 6:35 PM
Post #10 of 10 (11543 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caldo] moved to the Demecratic Republic of Congo, time to route find [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What Fun.

I remember when my father went to Kinshasa as part of a fantastic construction project that was to electrify the nation, increase the production of Aluminum and bring love and peace and civilization to the locals.

When he left, he used the exit in the Airport that goes from the restroom, through the window and out onto the tarmac. From there a short sprint along the runway to where the airplane was getting ready to take off. Something about his paperwork being in a foriegn language or some shit. It wasn't like they had hired Morrison Knudsen to bring a few hundred people in. (It was exactly like that...)

Perhaps they thought they could just kidnap a few dozen engineers and such, shake them down for a few tens of thousands to let them board. Didn't MK have to hire a shitload of Mercs for the remainder of the guys who didn't use the Shitcan window? I seem to recall some such delay they had in leaving. And that was working with the GOVERNMENT. GOVERNMENT paperwork, stamps and seals. And a few million available to pay in bribes...

He made it out just fine. But, I seem to recall some of the guys took another flight.

You will do just fine. I'm pretty sure you may get out OK. Maybe.

But you will have a wonderful story to tell. Maybe.

Hire that fucking guide, he's there to keep you alive, not show you to the end of the road. Carry SEVERAL guns of various sizes and calibers, and a machete, just in case. You need a guard for your guard, both should be hired by the resort/hotel and both must be armed well if you go into the backcountry.

Wonderful Nature there. All kinds of venomous shit. All the rest have teeth, claws and/or a 1/2 ton footprint that can charge at 30 MPH. You should have a grand time. Are you doing off-season or HOT season? Not a lot of difference but ...??

Like I said.

Good Luck.

You will need a case of DEET a month if you don't want a lifetime of sweats and fever from tick, misquito and spider bites. And don't kid yourself, if it says "OFF!" its pure worthless crap. Rub that Deet in DEEP, grasshopper. Skin Cancer is nothing compared to the bugs.

Talk about the last fuckling place on Earth I'd try and climb in.

(Edit made 24 hours later:) Hey Brad, I realize how screwy my post sounds... please understand, I think you are Awesome and am completely impressed, I'd be bloody terrified. Its just thats my take on the thing.

I hope the routs are great. really, I do.

(This post was edited by Rokjox on Feb 23, 2016, 5:09 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook