RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

keith_b00ne

Jul 26, 2013, 5:47 PM
Post #1 of 4 (5199 views)
Shortcut

Mt Humphrey, California
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am interested in climbing Mt Humphrey in Inyo National Forester this year. (Probably in Aug/Sept) Two people in our four man team are newbs so we are going to do the class 4 northwest face. Anyone every done this? I am new to the sierra wilderness permit system and am concerned about permits being difficult to get since I didn't reserve them in advance. What's my odds on getting walk in permits? Any alternative mountains in the area in the event we can't get permits? I may try a car to car if we can't get an overnight.

(This post was edited by keith_b00ne on Jul 26, 2013, 5:48 PM)

WOLF_Larsen85

Dec 6, 2013, 11:18 PM
Post #2 of 4 (5019 views)
Shortcut

Re: [keith_b00ne] Mt Humphrey, California [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am interested to know how this trip turned out? I was about to post for some info on this mountain for Dec/Jan...I was planning a car to car. Did you end up on the mountain?

keith_b00ne

Dec 9, 2013, 10:10 PM
Post #3 of 4 (4948 views)
Shortcut

Re: [WOLF_Larsen85] Mt Humphrey, California [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

WOLF_Larsen85 wrote:
I am interested to know how this trip turned out? I was about to post for some info on this mountain for Dec/Jan...I was planning a car to car. Did you end up on the mountain?

I ended up getting so much better feedback on route quality that I ended up climbing Bear Creek Spire as an overnighter. That doesn't help you much, but I plan on doing Mt Humphrey this summer.

graniteboy

Jan 8, 2014, 12:41 AM
Post #4 of 4 (4824 views)
Shortcut

Re: [keith_b00ne] Mt Humphrey, California [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Humphreys is far easier to do as a car to car than Bear Creek Spire. But you'll need some clearance on your vehicle to make that a reality. The road from the Buttermilks to the trailhead has gottenmangled from ATVs. Perhaps a better option for access is to mountain bike in from the Con-Edison pipeline access road that takes off just uphill from the south lake turnoff. Once you're on the climb itself, The little snow/ice gully usually has a small bergschrund that opens up about early sept, and after you get up that gully, it's a pretty low key alpine rock pitch to get to the summit. A little bit of loose stuff, so pay attention. I'd say the summit pitch is 5.4 ish. Trend right. Look for the vintage 1950s piton, too.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook