RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

keith_b00ne

Jul 26, 2013, 5:54 PM
Post #1 of 7 (7899 views)
Shortcut

Pull Line or Twin Ropes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have been climbing a lot more alpine and multipitch routes that require two ropes for decent. I have been taking two full ropes (9.8 & 10.2) and the weight sucks. I am thinking about carrying a 7 mil static cord and using it as a pull line on the 9.8. Would you use an EDK to attach the cords of different diameter? or...... should I bite the bullet and buy a set of twin ropes? The latter is more expensive and that's the only reason I'm not jumping on that idea.

maldaly

Jul 26, 2013, 6:33 PM
Post #2 of 7 (7889 views)
Shortcut

Re: [keith_b00ne] Pull Line or Twin Ropes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I've done it both ways. I loved having a 7mm tag line because it wasn't in the way while climbing; it sat in my pack. The problem is 2-fold:

First, because of the differential rope stretch and friction through your device, even with the static, you need to have the lead cord through the anchor point especially if that anchor point is webbing. Pulling the fat rope through the anchors with the skinny line is really really hard. On occasion it is impossible.

Second, If you rig it the other way around and use the fat rope to pull the skinny line through (careful there) the the skinny always--every time-- gets hung up somewhere or twists itself into a Gordian knot.

In short I love the skinny line idea as long as that line was in my pack. In every other situation, twins or doubles were better.

Mal

dugl33

Jul 26, 2013, 6:58 PM
Post #3 of 7 (7879 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

keith_b00ne wrote:
I have been climbing a lot more alpine and multipitch routes that require two ropes for decent. I have been taking two full ropes (9.8 & 10.2) and the weight sucks. I am thinking about carrying a 7 mil static cord and using it as a pull line on the 9.8. Would you use an EDK to attach the cords of different diameter? or...... should I bite the bullet and buy a set of twin ropes? The latter is more expensive and that's the only reason I'm not jumping on that idea.

I've been climbing on skinny ropes for a few years now and I love using them (pmi verglas - dual rated for twin and double rope technique).

1.) They pack well for long approaches and each person can carry one.

2.) They work really well in ATC guide mode.

3.) Straight forward for full length raps.

4.) Light weight to carry and lead with.

In short, if you can swing the cost, once you get used to using them you'll probably be stoked to have them. You can use them just for alpine and trad multi-pitch and abuse the fat ropes on sport climbs and cragging.

bearbreeder

Jul 26, 2013, 7:14 PM
Post #4 of 7 (7865 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the REAL advantage of a half rope system is that you can lead back up in an emergency on one strand

the REAL disadvantage is that they are more expensive and tend to wear out pretty quick, especially on hard multi where you may take whippers and you may have to drag your second up

dont get a twin rope ... get a ~8mm half rope that is rated for half AND twin if you are doing that route

personally i climb mostly on a single these days .. if i need to bring a second rope up itll be a thin half that i trail ... that way i can still get back up a rap if the rope is stuck

Tongue

keith_b00ne

Jul 26, 2013, 7:35 PM
Post #5 of 7 (7857 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did some quick math.

9.8mm + 10.2mm = 16.5 pounds
2, 9.8mm = 16.1 pounds
9.8mm + 7.0mm static = 13.49 pounds
half 8.8mm x 2 = 12.6 pounds

That helps see the difference in weight on long approaches. The static line isn't much difference in weight than the half ropes, but the halfs are certainly more functional.

USnavy

Jul 29, 2013, 5:17 AM
Post #6 of 7 (7788 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maldaly] Pull Line or Twin Ropes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

maldaly wrote:
Pulling the fat rope through the anchors with the skinny line is really really hard. On occasion it is impossible.
I dont have much problem doing it and I use 6mm for a tag line. But I guess it depends on what you climb. If you climb hard, vertical routes it will be easier to pull through than if you climb slabby routes.

chris

Jul 29, 2013, 6:10 PM
Post #7 of 7 (7708 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Pull Line or Twin Ropes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had enough issues with wear using twins and halfs that I've given up and switched back to using a 7mm tag line. I rig it with the lead line through the rappel anchor, overhand x 2 on the 7mm, and then tie a figure eight on a bight on the 9.2mm lead line immediately next to the overhand (on the running end, not the tail). This gets clipped to the lead line below the anchor.

Now I can do a single rope rappel on the lead line, confident that the overhand know won't accidentally pop through the rappel biner/ring/quicklink. I can also run the 7mm through the rappel device if I want (it helps me manage it) without worrying about the 7mm feeding faster than the other.

If I'm worried about the knot/biner getting stuck in the terrain when I pull the rope, I switch back to a conventionally double-rope rappel and just watch the 7mm carefully. Knots on the ends, folks.

I'd be open to doing it with a 6mm, but I'm still using a 7mm until it gets to worn/cut to short for anchors.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook