RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

Qwerelwof

Aug 12, 2013, 7:53 PM
Post #1 of 20 (22504 views)
Shortcut

Colorado vs Washington State?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am moving to either Colorado or Washington, I am a rock climber and alpine climber. Could you help me weigh the pros and cons? Washington has higher quality alpine climbing and good rock climbing but the weather sucks and everything is quite a ways away from the city. Colorado has tons of climbing everywhere but I have no idea about the quality of the alpine climbing... most of CO's big mountains look pretty mild and hikeable to me... please give me your opinion! As a climber, where would you rather live?

marc801

Aug 12, 2013, 8:25 PM
Post #2 of 20 (22490 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Qwerelwof] Colorado vs Washington State? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Qwerelwof wrote:
I am moving to either Colorado or Washington, I am a rock climber and alpine climber. Could you help me weigh the pros and cons? Washington has higher quality alpine climbing and good rock climbing but the weather sucks and everything is quite a ways away from the city. Colorado has tons of climbing everywhere but I have no idea about the quality of the alpine climbing... most of CO's big mountains look pretty mild and hikeable to me... please give me your opinion! As a climber, where would you rather live?
Have you done any research of your own yet? Sure many/most of CO's big mountains are hikeable - those would be the descent routes.
Look up:
Long's Peak
Hallet Peak
Spearhead
Chiefs Head

Check out Darguad's Colorado page:
http://www.gdargaud.net/...oloradoMountain.html
There's a lifetime of alpine climbing just in RMNP let alone the rest of the state.

Edit to fix the missing italic close tag

(This post was edited by marc801 on Aug 13, 2013, 12:53 AM)

jmeizis

Aug 12, 2013, 8:30 PM
Post #3 of 20 (22489 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Both states have good rock and alpine. The alpine climbing in CO is more accessible and ice and snow routes are difficult to find in ideal conditions for very long periods of time. The alpine climbing in CO doesn't have any glaciers and approaches are generally easy to follow and don't involve much distance or bushwhacking.

The alpine climbing in Washington is a bit more of an undertaking and involves glacier travel so even on smaller peaks they seem bigger.

If you are more into rock I'd head to CO. If you enjoy snow, alpine, and glaciers more then I'd go to WA. I live in CO and have limited travel to WA so that's where I'm coming from.

marc801

Aug 13, 2013, 12:57 AM
Post #4 of 20 (22452 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmeizis] Colorado vs Washington State? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Something else to consider: where you would go for a climbing trip may or may not be where you would want to live - there are lots of other considerations. Remember, you climb on some days of the year; you live in some specific place *every day*. Anyone who bases where they live exclusively on their pastime activities is bound to be disappointed at some point.

petsfed

Aug 13, 2013, 1:26 AM
Post #5 of 20 (22450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think per capita, Colorado has way more technically severe alpine climbs than Washington. Washington has more to appeal to the wannabe big-range mountaineer, but Colorado has more to appeal to the wannabe alpinist.

There is a lot of shit rock in Washington and basically no vertical ice.

milesenoell

Aug 13, 2013, 2:27 PM
Post #6 of 20 (22406 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Colorado vs Washington State? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Colorado puts a lot more stuff within a days drive than Washington, especially if you choose a major city in WA.

billl7

Aug 14, 2013, 12:25 AM
Post #7 of 20 (22360 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does the glacier scene matter?

WA: ~180 named glaciers
CO: 16 named glaciers

jomagam

Aug 14, 2013, 1:41 AM
Post #8 of 20 (22351 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billl7] Colorado vs Washington State? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billl7 wrote:

And those are all just permanent snowfields, not glaciers.

billl7

Aug 14, 2013, 3:01 AM
Post #9 of 20 (22341 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jomagam] Colorado vs Washington State? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jomagam wrote:
billl7 wrote:

And those are all just permanent snowfields, not glaciers.

Sigh. NM may not even have permanent snowfields. I miss the Olympics and Cascades ... beautifully wild country.

chris

Aug 29, 2013, 2:42 PM
Post #10 of 20 (21792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it really depends on what you want to get out of alpine climbing, and you have to be much more specific about where in each state you'd consider moving too.

What Washington doesn't have is a lot of easy-to-access ice. Because of our proximity to the ocean, cold temps are moderated by the Pacific and our ice season is extremely short. The dedicated ice climbers here get after it when its in, get disappointed often, and visit Canmore and Ouray regularly.

What we have is BIG and remote. With a few exceptions (hello, Rainier), the Cascades average 8000-9000'. But our valley floors average 1000-2000', so we're actually talking about 6000-7000' of difference.

Bushwacking is a requisite skill here, where we have triple canopy coniferous forest with slippery alder and several types of thorny plants to negotiate. Glacier travel skills are necessary for a lot - but certainly not the majority - of alpine climbs. The alpine rock is often quite good - not Sierra clean, but not limestone choss like some other places!

I've lived in Jackson, Wyoming and Bishop, California, and I chose to make Seattle my home. I can drive 45 minutes to Snoqualmie Pass, two hours to Leavenworth or Rainier, three hours to Baker or Hood, and in 5 hours I can be in Washington Pass, Smith Rock, or Squamish.

Last note - part of the reason I chose Seattle is because I'd rather ski all the time and ice climb a little. And the snowpack here cannot be beat by anywhere else.

shimanilami

Aug 29, 2013, 8:30 PM
Post #11 of 20 (21751 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One key factor is that Colorado has legalized marijuana for recreational use.

Wait. So has Washington.

Cool

I like your style, Qwerelwof.

(This post was edited by shimanilami on Aug 29, 2013, 11:15 PM)

jjanowia

Aug 29, 2013, 9:21 PM
Post #12 of 20 (21740 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What do you like better - good Mexican food? Or hipster culture? I'm assuming the choice is Denver vs Seattle.

petsfed

Sep 1, 2013, 5:03 AM
Post #13 of 20 (21586 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chris] Colorado vs Washington State? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chris wrote:
Last note - part of the reason I chose Seattle is because I'd rather ski all the time and ice climb a little. And the snowpack here cannot be beat by anywhere else.

In what sense? In terms of shear depth, its true. The maritime snowpack is thick, and has more water than any other kind of snowpack. In terms of quality, I beg to differ. Corn is not powder, and even days on hero corn is nothing like days on packed powder.

That said, the shear scale of the mountains out here, and the fact that you can ski a glacier 12 months out of the year, means that for a certain kind of alpine climber, its pretty awesome.

daneburns

Sep 1, 2013, 5:29 AM
Post #14 of 20 (21580 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Colorado vs Washington State? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"petsfed"I think per capita, Colorado has way more technically severe alpine climbs than Washington.

Doubt that....

In reply to:
There is a lot of shit rock in Washington and basically no vertical ice.

Wrong again. Some shit rock (generally basalt at small rock climbing areas where you nca climb all winter long) and a whole lot of decent to above average granite. Ice like anywhaere comes and goes. When conditions are good they cna be really good for ice and decent access.

If you ski there is not much to choose from. WA wins that one hands down if you want to ski 9 months of the year on lifts. BC even more.

curt

Sep 5, 2013, 2:27 AM
Post #15 of 20 (21393 views)
Shortcut

Re: [daneburns] Colorado vs Washington State? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

daneburns wrote:
If you ski there is not much to choose from. WA wins that one hands down if you want to ski 9 months of the year on lifts. BC even more.

Well, you can do that in Colorado too. A-Basin normally opens in mid October and closes on the 4th of July.

Curt

daneburns

Sep 5, 2013, 6:37 AM
Post #16 of 20 (21367 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Colorado vs Washington State? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No question A-basin is good. May be just not the quality and the opportunity to ski so many places as you have for late season in WA and you can add Hood to that list but that is Oregon :).

CO certainly has more to offer if you are an ice climber. But then if you really like to climb ice Canada is just that much further way from CO. And it is not close for most of WA. Easily accessed Mixed? CO again by a fair margin

I'd also give CO the nod for more rock, but not any better rock.

jomagam

Sep 5, 2013, 4:43 PM
Post #17 of 20 (21313 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Colorado vs Washington State? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
Well, you can do that in Colorado too. A-Basin normally opens in mid October and closes on the 4th of July.

Curt

By normally you mean sometimes, right ? 3 seasons ago that was the case, but in 2012 closing day was early May, and this year early June. Usually the last couple of weeks are shitty skiing anyways. The first month is pretty bad too with a couple of runs open on man made snow.

I'd say 5 solid months of skiing in the Summit county resorts.

Partner cracklover

Sep 5, 2013, 4:56 PM
Post #18 of 20 (21310 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jjanowia] Colorado vs Washington State? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jjanowia wrote:
What do you like better - good Mexican food? Or hipster culture? I'm assuming the choice is Denver vs Seattle.

Except that nearly all the Mexican restaurants I've found in Denver are total crap. They sell nothing but canned (or canned-tasting) Americanized garbage.

GO

marc801

Sep 5, 2013, 9:10 PM
Post #19 of 20 (21279 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Colorado vs Washington State? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Except that nearly all the Mexican restaurants I've found in Denver are total crap. They sell nothing but canned (or canned-tasting) Americanized garbage.

Tamayo?
Tarasco's New Latino Cuisine?

Partner cracklover

Sep 6, 2013, 4:26 AM
Post #20 of 20 (21250 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Colorado vs Washington State? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
cracklover wrote:

Tamayo?
Tarasco's New Latino Cuisine?

Never been to either, but thanks for the recommendation, I'll try to check 'em out!

GO

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook