Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

UpToTheOzone

Sep 12, 2013, 1:23 AM
Post #26 of 26 (1825 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Climbing a 5.10c? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

.10c is pretty good on a first day... However I climbed a 5.10b on my first day of outdoor climbing, in tennis shoes! I was top roping, hanging, and struggling, but I topped out using my physical fitness, mostly hand holds, and zero technique. Now I climb 5.11a/b, 6 years later, and just redpointed my first 5.10d on gear. Basically just find what motivates you to climb. If it's fun, then stick with that and don't worry about the grades.

When I first joined this forum, 6 years ago and under a different user name. I was asking questions about safety, what in the heck back clipping was, how to clean anchors, and other "dumb" questions. People flamed me and called me a troll, but every now and then I got a useful answer. I didn't have a very good mentor at first, but once I found one, both my skills and my knowledge about safety and rescue increased. The best advice I'd give you is to find a mentor in SLC and learn everything you can from them. Little and Big Cottonwood canyons are both littered with hundreds of classics routes, if you like being outside it beats momentum any day! Momentum is great for the winter, but being outside, exposed and above a bolt makes climbing so much more enjoyable.

Don't forget that climbing is dangerous. Every piece of gear says this for a reason! The gym makes everything feel very safe, but when you're leading outside, you'll likely find yourself in a situation where a fall will result in a serious injury!

Ask as many questions as you can on here until you find a mentor, use this site, or mountain project, to find a mentor. The climbing gym is great, but in my experience the staff don't climb outdoors very much and if that's your goal, they will not be your best bet

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook