RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

scienceguy288

Sep 18, 2013, 9:26 PM
Post #1 of 5 (3789 views)
Shortcut

Looking for a midweight down jacket for spotting/belaying and backpacking
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey folks,

My old down jacket is starting to fall apart. I'm a bit wiser now and better know what features I am looking for. I am requesting recommendations for a down jacket that I could use to warm up while belaying or spotting during the winter months, is small/light enough to throw in a pack on a hiking trip to keep me warm at the summit, and doesn't make me look like the State Puff marshmallow man while around the campsite. I am also looking for box baffles. As for down or synthetic, I would prefer down. I definitely want a hood. Of course the fill matters in terms of weight:warmth ratio, but I now know that it isn't an absolute measurement of warmth.

Additional info: I am doing my climbing in the Adirondacks, so temps get pretty cold; especially at night.

Finally, as I am a poor student, the cheaper the better. I like Arcteryx stuff, but it just isn't doable. My price range is 150 and I figure that with patience, I can get some used stuff on Ebay or Geartrade or during January clearances for that price.

Thusfar, I have been looking at the Montbell Frost Smoke, Montbell Alpine Light Parka, Patagonia Down hoody (below 200 on ebay), and Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer (below 200 on ebay), so you have any opinions on those, that would be great.

paool

Sep 19, 2013, 2:40 AM
Post #2 of 5 (3739 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scienceguy288] Looking for a midweight down jacket for spotting/belaying and backpacking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the ghost whisperer (non hooded) and I think it would satisfy all of your requirements and you'd be really happy with it.

I went with it over the patagonia one due to fit (more athletic fit) and it's lighter.

It packs into it's own pocket and becomes about the size of a climbing shoe, so you can easily attach it to a carabiner or something.

definitely spend the lil extra to get it if you need to because this should last you a good 10 years or so and you'll regret it if you don't.

vicinthemac

Oct 11, 2013, 5:43 AM
Post #3 of 5 (3540 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scienceguy288] Looking for a midweight down jacket for spotting/belaying and backpacking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Go with something from MontBell; specifically the Alpine light parka or jacket. The Patagonia and Mountain Hardware are both nice, but both are really lightweight, more like down sweaters really. The MontBell has a lot more fill and will therefore be warmer.

fx101

Oct 15, 2013, 7:34 PM
Post #4 of 5 (3491 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vicinthemac] Looking for a midweight down jacket for spotting/belaying and backpacking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

vicinthemac wrote:
Go with something from MontBell; specifically the Alpine light parka or jacket. The Patagonia and Mountain Hardware are both nice, but both are really lightweight, more like down sweaters really. The MontBell has a lot more fill and will therefore be warmer.

I second the Montbell jackets. They also give you ridiculous bang for your buck.

shimanilami

Oct 15, 2013, 7:50 PM
Post #5 of 5 (3486 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Patagonia MicroPuff and MH Ghost Whisperer are light, but the material is just too thin for any sort of heavy duty use.

I just got a MH Compressor and it rocks. It's synthetic, not down, but it's light and bomber and an awesome design. It's worth checking out.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook