Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

onceahardman

Sep 29, 2013, 11:51 AM
Post #1 of 31 (7320 views)
Shortcut

Remember when...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

This site was about rock climbing, and not packed with spam?

I think I've had enough.

ncrockclimber

Sep 30, 2013, 6:05 PM
Post #2 of 31 (7218 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Remember when... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I come here about once a week to see what is happening. Every time it gets worse. As of today, I am done. I am deleting this site from my Safari top sites. I remember when Jung was managing this place and the forums were awesome. Now, it is just a sad shell. It has gone from a great community to a total shit heap in less than 5 years. Whatever. There are other places for me to get my internet climbing fix...

wonderwoman

Sep 30, 2013, 7:39 PM
Post #3 of 31 (7188 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ncrockclimber] Remember when... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

See you guys over at Mountain Project!

Partner cracklover

Sep 30, 2013, 7:41 PM
Post #4 of 31 (7187 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Is there another site you'll be heading to mostly?

GO

onceahardman

Sep 30, 2013, 9:51 PM
Post #5 of 31 (7138 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Remember when... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Curiously, a moderator seems to recommend Mountain Project. Why would that be?

I'll stop in there, but I don't know whether I will actively post yet. I'll probably lurk for a while...unless somebody is doling out sketchy PT advice!

Maybe see you over there.

curt

Oct 1, 2013, 5:40 AM
Post #6 of 31 (7081 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
This site was about rock climbing, and not packed with spam?

Hell, I can remember when sex was safe and climbing was dangerous.

Curt

Partner cracklover

Oct 1, 2013, 3:21 PM
Post #7 of 31 (7032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
Curiously, a moderator seems to recommend Mountain Project. Why would that be?

I'll stop in there, but I don't know whether I will actively post yet. I'll probably lurk for a while...unless somebody is doling out sketchy PT advice!

Maybe see you over there.

She's a former mod, actually. She turned in her notice six months ago. Except there's nobody left (quite literally) to receive her resignation and take her off the mod list, and one can't do that oneself.

GO

dagibbs

Oct 1, 2013, 4:45 PM
Post #8 of 31 (7009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also read, and occasionally post, at ontarioclimbing.com, supertace, mountainproject, and ukclimbing.

Sadly, rc.com seems to have the best forum software of the lot -- it is the only one that actually seems to do anything like a half-decent job of tracking what I have, and haven't read, and being able to take me to the most recent un-read post in any of the many different discussions. So, I'll continue to check back here, too.

Partner cracklover

Oct 1, 2013, 5:57 PM
Post #9 of 31 (6976 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dagibbs] Remember when... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dagibbs wrote:
I also read, and occasionally post, at ontarioclimbing.com, supertace, mountainproject, and ukclimbing.

Sadly, rc.com seems to have the best forum software of the lot -- it is the only one that actually seems to do anything like a half-decent job of tracking what I have, and haven't read, and being able to take me to the most recent un-read post in any of the many different discussions. So, I'll continue to check back here, too.

Agreed. It's clear (in retrospect?) that a lot of investment was made on this site. It's actually one of the reasons I don't look at the others as much. It just takes more work to pop in and see what's new on stuff you're interested in.

GO

markc

Oct 1, 2013, 8:06 PM
Post #10 of 31 (6948 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Remember when... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
dagibbs wrote:

Agreed. It's clear (in retrospect?) that a lot of investment was made on this site. It's actually one of the reasons I don't look at the others as much. It just takes more work to pop in and see what's new on stuff you're interested in.

GO

Despite reading rec.climbing for years, my brain now protests the single-stream forum on the Taco. On top of that,it still seems biased to the west coast. I've peeked at Mountain Project, but it's not even clear which area they consider Pennsylvania to fit in. (I'd vote Eastern, but some may claim otherwise.)

Still, rc.com should stick around. I still need an unimportant email address for various sign-ups.

marc801

Oct 1, 2013, 9:38 PM
Post #11 of 31 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Remember when... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

markc wrote:
On top of that,it [Supertopo] still seems biased to the west coast.
West coast? More like mostly California, and only a handful of areas at that. I don't think I ever remember a thread about Smith Rock or The Index Town Walls.

edge

Oct 2, 2013, 4:57 AM
Post #12 of 31 (6866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Please accept my resignation. I don’t care to belong to any website that will accept people like me as a member".

milesenoell

Oct 2, 2013, 7:09 AM
Post #13 of 31 (6852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been wishing it wasn't the case, but sadly I think it's long overdue. I think I'll be following your lead and bidding adieu to this site as well.

Partner macherry

Oct 2, 2013, 1:58 PM
Post #14 of 31 (6788 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Remember when... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
"Please accept my resignation. I don’t care to belong to any website that will accept people like me as a member".

they always come back. (tm)

jt512

Oct 2, 2013, 4:41 PM
Post #15 of 31 (6756 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Remember when... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
edge wrote:

It helps if there is something to come back to.

edge

Oct 2, 2013, 8:29 PM
Post #16 of 31 (6703 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Remember when... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
macherry wrote:
edge wrote:

At this point, the site is dead. The same old topics get rehashed over and over, and there is no sense of community. I keep a tab open on my phone to check in occasionally, but the spam and lack of interesting topics make me leave after a quick check.

Years ago I used RC to meet some great people in the New England area, most of whom I am still friends with. It was the old community that made the site for me, and the virtual kinships were also key. On my recent road trip, I stayed at j_ung's house, met Camhead and Lena, climbed with Notapplicable in the New, Climbingtrash in Zion, and even Dingus at Sonora Pass. They were all good people who I was psyched to know online and then hook up with when I was touring.

I don't care for the MP forums , and only use that site to log my ascents and new routes; the data base is easy and intuitive, and blows RC out of the water.

I spend most of my time at the Taco , and that has led to some great contacts in my new home of Boulder, including leads on housing and work. I ignore 80% of the posts there, but the user base is a wealth of information. Besides, I am a washed up, once upon a time, BITD kind of guy, so I can relate. Heh.

Partner macherry

Oct 2, 2013, 9:39 PM
Post #17 of 31 (6680 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
jt512 wrote:
macherry wrote:
edge wrote:

At this point, the site is dead. The same old topics get rehashed over and over, and there is no sense of community. I keep a tab open on my phone to check in occasionally, but the spam and lack of interesting topics make me leave after a quick check.

Years ago I used RC to meet some great people in the New England area, most of whom I am still friends with. It was the old community that made the site for me, and the virtual kinships were also key. On my recent road trip, I stayed at j_ung's house, met Camhead and Lena, climbed with Notapplicable in the New, Climbingtrash in Zion, and even Dingus at Sonora Pass. They were all good people who I was psyched to know online and then hook up with when I was touring.

I don't care for the MP forums , and only use that site to log my ascents and new routes; the data base is easy and intuitive, and blows RC out of the water.

I spend most of my time at the Taco , and that has led to some great contacts in my new home of Boulder, including leads on housing and work. I ignore 80% of the posts there, but the user base is a wealth of information. Besides, I am a washed up, once upon a time, BITD kind of guy, so I can relate. Heh.

give me you new addy, i'll come by next summer.

Syd

Oct 2, 2013, 10:13 PM
Post #18 of 31 (6671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Leave and the spammer has won !

jt512

Oct 2, 2013, 10:17 PM
Post #19 of 31 (6668 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Syd] Remember when... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Syd wrote:

When the web site owners don't care enough about the site to maintain it, then the spammers deserve to win.

Syd

Oct 2, 2013, 10:29 PM
Post #20 of 31 (6658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good point.

Partner macherry

Oct 3, 2013, 1:20 AM
Post #21 of 31 (6626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Syd wrote:

When the web site owners don't care enough about the site to maintain it, then the spammers deserve to win.

this is correct

i'm still surprised that there are mods still around. if management doesn't care enough to answer their pm's why would anyone still mod.

edge

Oct 3, 2013, 3:22 AM
Post #22 of 31 (6610 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Remember when... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
edge wrote:
jt512 wrote:
macherry wrote:
edge wrote:

Well , that's quite presumptuous of you ...

OK, I'll do it. Maybe the local climbing areas will even be open by then.

6pacfershur

Oct 3, 2013, 3:45 AM
Post #23 of 31 (6601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so glad i have a loving family, fulfilling job and huge wilderness area to play in half a mile from my front door and dont need this website to satisfy some empty void in my Being....

Partner macherry

Oct 3, 2013, 4:07 AM
Post #24 of 31 (6594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
macherry wrote:
edge wrote:
jt512 wrote:
macherry wrote:
edge wrote:

Well , that's quite presumptuous of you ...

OK, I'll do it. Maybe the local climbing areas will even be open by then.

of course it's presumptuous.

if i can get the climbing gear out of retirement. it's been a while. other than that, the hubby and i like to hike

marc801

Oct 3, 2013, 4:26 AM
Post #25 of 31 (6588 views)
Shortcut

Re: [6pacfershur] Remember when... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

6pacfershur wrote:
so glad i have a loving family, fulfilling job and huge wilderness area to play in half a mile from my front door and dont need this website to satisfy some empty void in my Being....
You really seem to miss the entire concept of discussion forums.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook