RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

mikebarter387

Sep 27, 2013, 3:44 AM
Post #1 of 15 (8583 views)
Shortcut

Three slide and grab hitches that ain't gonna kill you to learn
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Prusik: Always had trouble figuring out the spelling to this till putting pen to paper. The go to knot for most North Americans.
Klemheist: I guess the second best known of it's sort. They claim a better choice for icy ropes.
French (Freedom) Prusik/autoblock: Does amazingly well in technical papers. Which can be found on this site with a little searching.

https://itunes.apple.com/...ers/id713696476?ls=1

( Edited cause the grammer police ain't done got beter tings too du.)

(This post was edited by mikebarter387 on Sep 27, 2013, 10:33 AM)

JimTitt

Sep 27, 2013, 7:17 AM
Post #2 of 15 (8551 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mikebarter387] Three slide and grab hitches that ain't gonna kill you to learn [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

mikebarter387 wrote:
prusik: Always had trouble figuring out the spelling to this till putting pen to paper.

Clearly you still have trouble with this. Capital P next time please.

meanandugly

Sep 27, 2013, 9:22 AM
Post #3 of 15 (8535 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JimTitt] Three slide and grab hitches that ain't gonna kill you to learn [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

JimTitt wrote:
mikebarter387 wrote:
prusik: Always had trouble figuring out the spelling to this till putting pen to paper.

Clearly you still have trouble with this. Capital P next time please.

I always have a capital pee in the morning.

zchandran

Oct 3, 2013, 4:49 PM
Post #4 of 15 (8300 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mikebarter387] Three slide and grab hitches that ain't gonna kill you to learn [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm climbing almost at a 5.9 level now, so I'm not sure I should even be bothering with the beginner forum...

But anyways, serious question on the hitches:

I usually go with the Prussik as my default because I can tie it with one hand. I like the Bachmann the best, followed by the Klemheist. Are those knots that someone with limited manual dexterity can do onehanded, without spending dozens of hours practicing?

Z.

mikebarter387

Oct 3, 2013, 6:24 PM
Post #5 of 15 (8282 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zchandran] Three slide and grab hitches that ain't gonna kill you to learn [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess we would have to better define "Limited dexterity " . My guess is most likely yes. However I am not sure of a situation where this would be required. In most if not all improvised rescues the first course of action is to escape the belay by tying it off.
Do me a favour and don't make up some unlikely situation that would never happen. You can worry about that when it does, which it won't. If you are really worried about it spend dozens and dozens of hours practicing.

zchandran

Oct 3, 2013, 7:31 PM
Post #6 of 15 (8263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not dropping cams left and right, but last time I tried a Bachmann with one hand while on rap I fiddled with it for 10 minutes and wound up holding the biner in place with my mouth which looked fairly stupid.

This would just be for single pitch where I want to throw a hitch on, while on the rope. More of a toolbox skill than a rescue one. Right now I just tie a prussik with my left hand. If I could do a Bachmann I'd love to do that instead since it's so much easier to control the rest of the way down. Barring that, I like the Klemheist much more than the Prussik.

rocknice2

Oct 4, 2013, 3:10 AM
Post #7 of 15 (8222 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zchandran] Three slide and grab hitches that ain't gonna kill you to learn [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zchandran wrote:
I'm not dropping cams left and right, but last time I tried a Bachmann with one hand while on rap I fiddled with it for 10 minutes and wound up holding the biner in place with my mouth which looked fairly stupid.

This would just be for single pitch where I want to throw a hitch on, while on the rope. More of a toolbox skill than a rescue one. Right now I just tie a prussik with my left hand. If I could do a Bachmann I'd love to do that instead since it's so much easier to control the rest of the way down. Barring that, I like the Klemheist much more than the Prussik.
You're not making any sense. Only for single pitch but not multi? Putting a hitch on past way down?
There are better ways to stop yourself or add friction to the rope, part way down, without fussing with a knot. But we don't need to tell you that, you can almost climb 5.9.

edge

Oct 4, 2013, 3:31 AM
Post #8 of 15 (8217 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

zchandran wrote:
I'm climbing almost at a 5.9 level now, so I'm not sure I should even be bothering with the beginner forum...

I usually go with the Prussik as my default because I can tie it with one hand. I like the Bachmann the best, followed by the Klemheist. Are those knots that someone with limited manual dexterity can do onehanded, without spending dozens of hours practicing?

Z.

Is this Aaron Ralston?

socalclimber

Oct 4, 2013, 9:20 AM
Post #9 of 15 (8184 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edge] Three slide and grab hitches that ain't gonna kill you to learn [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edge wrote:
zchandran wrote:

Z.

Is this Aaron Ralston?

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

Ahhh yes. Beginners posting advice in the beginners forum. How about this for a title with a little more reality attached:

Three slide and grab hitches that ain't gonna kill you to learn, but could kill you if you don't know them

(This post was edited by socalclimber on Oct 4, 2013, 9:24 AM)

mikebarter387

Oct 4, 2013, 11:51 AM
Post #10 of 15 (8169 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And they wonder why I drink!

socalclimber

Oct 4, 2013, 2:34 PM
Post #11 of 15 (8149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like that!

A simple explanation that my wife constantly reminds me of on a daily basis:

What do you call a guide who just broke up with his girlfriend or wife?

HOMELESS

If this stupid shutdown doesn't end soon I'll be homeless as well! It's hard to guide when you can't bring clients into the park!

I missed your signature. It's pretty constant for the advanced beginners dispensing advice they clearly don't have the experience to back up around here. Get used to it!

Then there's the pricks like me running loose...

Cheers!

zchandran

Oct 4, 2013, 4:47 PM
Post #12 of 15 (8126 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] Three slide and grab hitches that ain't gonna kill you to learn [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

socalclimber wrote:
edge wrote:
zchandran wrote:

Z.

Is this Aaron Ralston?

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

Ahhh yes. Beginners posting advice in the beginners forum. How about this for a title with a little more reality attached:

Three slide and grab hitches that ain't gonna kill you to learn, but could kill you if you don't know them

I'm sorry, are you having a reading comprehension problem?

I said those are the knots that I like. I repeat - "I". I certainly didn't advise anyone to use them. I just wanted to know how to tie a Bachmann one handed, but apparently you can't ask anything on here anymore without it turning into drama central.

I remember when you could ask something on RC without six elitist dillholes flexing nuts at you. And then people are clueless enough to wonder why the forums aren't what they used to be. (rolls eyes)

zchandran

Oct 4, 2013, 5:32 PM
Post #13 of 15 (8115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You drink because otherwise you'd realize your Youtube videos have production quality that a high school sophomore would be ashamed of... Wink

Just kidding, and thanks for the information. I asked someone over at Mountain Project and got my answer about the Bachmann. So the trick apparently is to wind the cordolette through the biner upside down and then invert the knot. That way the biner is resting against the ATC and not going anywhere when you get it started. I'm not sure I'm describing it well, but I tried it and it works great, so I'm set.

rocknice2

Oct 4, 2013, 9:42 PM
Post #14 of 15 (8069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Don't be so quick to roll your eyes. Your approach to securing the rappel is flawed.
There's only a few situations where you'd want to add a hitch. If friction is insufficient then it's much faster and safer to clip a biner to the leg loop and pass the rope through it. Add a wrap for more friction. You could do a leg wrap, passing the rope behind you then up between your crotch. This is not that comfy with summer shorts on.
To stop and lock off completely, just wrap the rope around your leg a few times. 3 usually does it. Clip the trail end to the rope above you so it doesn't fall of your leg. Now you can remove a stuck cam or even use both hands to make your hitch.

There is no need to practice tying single handed knots.

patto

Oct 5, 2013, 6:35 AM
Post #15 of 15 (8037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Prusiks are constantly misused on rappel.

Knowing how to tie them is just enough information to get people in trouble.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook