Forums: Rockclimbing.com: Announcements:
Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Announcements

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 18 Next page Last page  View All

Shroom

Nov 13, 2013, 2:29 AM
Post #276 of 430 (9251 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
Care to give context to this, JT?: http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=2379186#2379186

jt512 wrote:
I've conceded that elsewhere. The majority of users here have gotten not only what they deserve, but what they actually prefer: garbage.

Jay

Which is to say I don't understand your response to Roughster, JT, unless I do a search. Seems there's a long string of people who think you're a detriment to the site. I wonder why that might be?

EDIT: Here's Roughster circa 2005:
roughster wrote:
I would be curious as to the general consensus of the few remaining people who frequented this site who were around at that time really feel the shift from signal to noise was a good choice?

Certainly someone got paid, but in the end, I'll be honest, I feel that time has proven the point. I find it interesting that sites most often take their most prolific contributors, make them mods/admins, then ultimately end up splitting ways based upon the catcalls and pettiness of a few non-contributors. A search back to the mudslingers of 2005 show that very few have posted past 2006 and many of them were obviously troll accounts that abruptly quit contributing once their agenda was accomplished.

Is this the cycle of the modern day internet website? I am honestly wondering if a true signal focused website actually has a chance at success or if the anonymity of the internet and Ring of Gyges just proves too strong of a force?

It's really too bad IMO. RC could've been a contender so to speak. Now? LOL.

Wow. I can't believe I never looked into the origin story of JT. Quite the interesting story, all of which is there for everyone to read. Including the explanation of why he'd be so unpleasant to Roughster.

Tell me, JT, do you really want Jeff to dig into your history with the site, which apparently no one remembers?

Great, another RC witch hunt. But wait, which witch is which?

adatesman

Nov 13, 2013, 2:42 AM
Post #277 of 430 (9245 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Shroom] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Shroom wrote:

Shroom, it seems I may have wronged you in some way, but I have no idea who you even are. Mind at least passing on a link to clue me in as to what I did to you to elicit such hostility?

Or are you just trolling?

EDIT: Seriously. Even USNavy and I are now friends. What say we bury the hatchet? I seriously have no idea who you even are at this point and don't have the slightest idea what I may have done to offend.

(This post was edited by adatesman on Nov 13, 2013, 2:55 AM)

jt512

Nov 13, 2013, 3:15 AM
Post #278 of 430 (9214 views)
Shortcut

Re: [adatesman] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=2379186#2379186

jt512 wrote:
I've conceded that elsewhere. The majority of users here have gotten not only what they deserve, but what they actually prefer: garbage.

Jay

Separating this out, because I see it as key to the discussion. Please, JT, give context to this comment of yours from 2010. Looks to me that you've been nothing but a cantankerous SOB since then, and damned if I can see how that adds to your Signal quotient WRT your comment to Roughster.

I have no idea what you're going on about. The thread was about why the SNR of the site is so low. As I explained in this post in that thread, it is low for two reasons: the structure and culture of the site.

adatesman

Nov 13, 2013, 3:42 AM
Post #279 of 430 (9200 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (9 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
adatesman wrote:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=2379186#2379186

jt512 wrote:

Jay

Separating this out, because I see it as key to the discussion. Please, JT, give context to this comment of yours from 2010. Looks to me that you've been nothing but a cantankerous SOB since then, and damned if I can see how that adds to your Signal quotient WRT your comment to Roughster.

I have no idea what you're going on about. The thread was about why the SNR of the site is so low. As I explained in this post in that thread, it is low for two reasons: the structure and culture of the site.

Would you not consider, Jay, that your participation in the site post 2010 part of the culture here? I'd likely put it as a not only part, but highly influential.

And what I'm going on about is replying to the seemingly undeserved rough treatment you gave Roughster. Details of your history together are a simple search away, and not looking to me that you're an angel.

In fact, I got a kick out of hearing you referred to as the n00b.

(grammar edit)

(This post was edited by adatesman on Nov 13, 2013, 4:03 AM)

Partner happiegrrrl

Nov 13, 2013, 3:05 PM
Post #280 of 430 (9117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oy veh....

I am pretty sure that, with the posts from this thread, and the several people who are long-time/long-gone rc.com users who have posted specifically to help Jeff with dot-connection, Jeff has more than enough information to get the concept that there are several heavy-users of the site have conflicting personalities.

How about we let him workout how to manage things and agree to STFU?

rocknice2

Nov 13, 2013, 5:08 PM
Post #281 of 430 (9078 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

OMG this thread has degraded to the point where I'm starting to miss the spam.

There is still a lot of talent on this site, it does come with different personalities though. We have those who know what they are talking about and deliver with concise and polite responses. Those who deliver with Thor's Hammer and those who know not of what they speak. By far the worst is the WLB.

@adatesman: What are you trying to say? jt512 smacks down nOObs harder than an offwidth at Vedauwoo? Nothing new and Jeff can read all his posts if he so chooses. Can he be obnoxious? Yes, but he also has a wealth of things to contribute. As do you!

satch

Nov 13, 2013, 5:36 PM
Post #282 of 430 (9064 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I agree with happygrrl. Let Jeff make the changes and then let's see where we are. The culture clearly needs to change. I will try to do my part to help with that change. Anyone else game?

majid_sabet

Nov 13, 2013, 10:50 PM
Post #283 of 430 (8988 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jeff] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

with all these old RC members talking, it sound like poor jeff just bought a ford pinto without taking it to the mechanic on the corner to check it out .

Partner happiegrrrl

Nov 13, 2013, 11:03 PM
Post #284 of 430 (8979 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

The difference is, he has the tools to overhaul the Pinto, get it running, and then somehow convince everyone else to suddenly find Pintos desirable.

Gmburns2000

Nov 14, 2013, 12:09 AM
Post #285 of 430 (8955 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
with all these old RC members talking, it sound like poor jeff just bought a ford pinto without taking it to the mechanic on the corner to check it out .

heh - pinto means something different in portuguese.

Partner macherry

Nov 14, 2013, 12:16 AM
Post #286 of 430 (8945 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
The difference is, he has the tools to overhaul the Pinto, get it running, and then somehow convince everyone else to suddenly find Pintos desirable.

those pintos used to spontaneously burst into flames

just sayin"

Shroom

Nov 14, 2013, 12:25 AM
Post #287 of 430 (8941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (14 ratings)  
Can't Post

adatesman wrote:
Shroom wrote:

Shroom, it seems I may have wronged you in some way, but I have no idea who you even are. Mind at least passing on a link to clue me in as to what I did to you to elicit such hostility?

EDIT: Seriously. Even USNavy and I are now friends. What say we bury the hatchet? I seriously have no idea who you even are at this point and don't have the slightest idea what I may have done to offend.

Who I am doesn't matter, you should figure out who you are first. Are you the engineer who ran the Lab, the vindictive grudge holder who blames the end of the world on DDT, JT, and Curt, the guy who pulled all of his thousands of posts off RC and vowed to never come back, the dude who can't help himself from not posting, or all of the above?

I agree with a lot of your sentiments (view my posting history if you want to see my thoughts on JT's posting habits) but you have taken the new owner's thread and turned it into your own personal poor Aric soapbox. Your posts are rambling and shotgun, hoping to hit a target, any target, and you approach posting with the fury of a lovelorn whippet humping a toy poodle. It's obnoxious, unnecessary, and counterproductive. You come across as a whiny little kid who wants his lollypop cleaned after falling in the dirt.

If you want Jeff to know your viewpoint either send him a PM offering to chat on the phone or write a concise email stating your views and send it to him. You don't have to belittle yourself by holding the thread hostage looking to gain support from other users.

In a nutshell, grow up. That is all.

lofstromc

Nov 14, 2013, 12:32 AM
Post #288 of 430 (8934 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Shroom] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (6 ratings)  
Can't Post

Shroom wrote:
adatesman wrote:
Shroom wrote:

Who I am doesn't matter, you should figure out who you are first. Are you the engineer who ran the Lab, the vindictive grudge holder who blames the end of the world on DDT, JT, and Curt, the guy who pulled all of his thousands of posts off RC and vowed to never come back, the dude who can't help himself from not posting, or all of the above?

I agree with a lot of your sentiments (view my posting history if you want to see my thoughts on JT's posting habits) but you have taken the new owner's thread and turned it into your own personal poor Aric soapbox. Your posts are rambling and shotgun, hoping to hit a target, any target, and you approach posting with the fury of a lovelorn whippet humping a toy poodle. It's obnoxious, unnecessary, and counterproductive. You come across as a whiny little kid who wants his lollypop cleaned after falling in the dirt.

If you want Jeff to know your viewpoint either send him a PM offering to chat on the phone or write a concise email stating your views and send it to him. You don't have to belittle yourself by holding the thread hostage looking to gain support from other users.

In a nutshell, grow up. That is all.

+1

Kartessa

Nov 15, 2013, 6:08 AM
Post #290 of 430 (8745 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I left the site due to my ADHD... it wasn't interesting enough to spend hours and hours anymore.

Too much "what rope?" "What shoes" "how do I start climbing" "Where the rock in OH?" threads are boring. Everything else is avocados and coffee.

*Yawn* PC++

onceahardman

Nov 15, 2013, 10:33 PM
Post #291 of 430 (8659 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:

just sayin"

Not true. Pintos NEVER exploded "spontaneously". They did, however, blow up when rear-ended, due to the location of the gas tank.

Partner happiegrrrl

Nov 15, 2013, 10:55 PM
Post #292 of 430 (8650 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

And soooo....

Rear-Ending Pinto = Explosion of Pinto

is to

(Fill In Blank) = Explosion of Rc.com

?

shockabuku

Nov 15, 2013, 11:49 PM
Post #293 of 430 (8628 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:

just sayin"

Actually I think it occurred during rear end collisions when the gas tank was punctured by a poorly designed part of the car.

satch

Nov 15, 2013, 11:51 PM
Post #294 of 430 (8624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure of the full analogy, but I think rear end should be in there somewhere.

JohnCook

Nov 16, 2013, 11:27 AM
Post #295 of 430 (8570 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jeff] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Jeff.
Check the latest posts. There is another load of spam on there. You may need to spend more time deleting it. I used to report it but it never disappeared. It means that I have reduced my visits to this site as I can't be bothered to sort through. When I visit I only view threads with several replies from known names. Other fora get no where near as much spam as this one.

mikebarter387

Nov 16, 2013, 1:33 PM
Post #296 of 430 (8564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  
Can't Post

as you know and I can see your numbers are dropping like flys. I am sick of your don't have a life mod. This place has always been abusive but you'd think there would be more respect out there. I'm done your the new myspace of climbing forum.

dr_feelgood

Nov 16, 2013, 4:39 PM
Post #297 of 430 (8540 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mikebarter387] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mikebarter387 wrote:
as you know and I can see your numbers are dropping like flys. I am sick of your don't have a life mod. This place has always been abusive but you'd think there would be more respect out there. I'm done your the new myspace of climbing forum.

Was that English?

curt

Nov 16, 2013, 6:12 PM
Post #298 of 430 (8523 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
mikebarter387 wrote:

Was that English?

Canadian maybe?

Curt

Partner macherry

Nov 16, 2013, 9:42 PM
Post #299 of 430 (8494 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Hi--I'm the new RockClimbing.com owner--ask me anything [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
mikebarter387 wrote:

Was that English?

Canadian maybe?

Curt

not so much eh!

walkonyourhands

Nov 17, 2013, 12:36 AM
Post #300 of 430 (8464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
curt wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
mikebarter387 wrote:

Was that English?

Canadian maybe?

Curt

not so much eh!

He's right about the disappearing posts though. That's at least what I guess he meant.

(This post was edited by walkonyourhands on Nov 17, 2013, 12:36 AM)

First page Previous page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 18 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Announcements

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook