RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

majid_sabet

Nov 19, 2013, 8:36 PM
Post #1 of 15 (12281 views)
Shortcut

Rental gear for climbers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am helping a friend to add a section in his business and rent climbing gear to international climbers accept rope and harness.Basically you travel to a country, check and rent your gear and climb, return gear (just like rent a car) pay the fees and you are done.

now , what is fair price on renting climbing stuff ?

gunkiemike

Nov 19, 2013, 10:31 PM
Post #2 of 15 (12250 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Rental gear for climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
now , what is fair price on renting climbing stuff ?

What's your life worth?

Seriously, maybe $50/day for a full kit.

rocknice2

Nov 20, 2013, 12:57 AM
Post #3 of 15 (12226 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Found a use for all the gear you bought on eBay. You should get the renal fee up front, you know just in case.

It may work but I would want gear in really good condition. 50 dollars a day sounds about right.

(This post was edited by rocknice2 on Nov 20, 2013, 12:58 AM)

dagibbs

Nov 20, 2013, 12:17 PM
Post #4 of 15 (12179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What gear?

Sport rack? Trad rack? How complete? Aid Rack? Aid rack, and haul gear, and full big-wall everything, including porta-ledge and pig?

What are damage rules? If you damage a piece, you buy it? At a discount if worn? How do you define "damage"? Is a bent wire on a cam enough damage to be damage?

How much does an extra piece of luggage cost? I should be able to get most everything I need into an extra piece of luggage, so any rental that costs me more than that probably isn't worth it. So, if it costs me $100 each way to bring my gear, that means I won't want to pay more than $200 total for rental. So, if I'm doing a serious climbing trip -- a week or more -- I'm not going to want to pay more than $30/day for a week, or $15/day for two weeks.

If I'm on a business trip, and sneaking in a day, or weekend, of climbing -- this might be more helpful. But, then, hopefully I'm hooking up with someone local to climb, and they have gear.

majid_sabet

Nov 21, 2013, 5:53 AM
Post #5 of 15 (12127 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dagibbs] Rental gear for climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dagibbs wrote:
What gear?

Sport rack? Trad rack? How complete? Aid Rack? Aid rack, and haul gear, and full big-wall everything, including porta-ledge and pig?

What are damage rules? If you damage a piece, you buy it? At a discount if worn? How do you define "damage"? Is a bent wire on a cam enough damage to be damage?

How much does an extra piece of luggage cost? I should be able to get most everything I need into an extra piece of luggage, so any rental that costs me more than that probably isn't worth it. So, if it costs me $100 each way to bring my gear, that means I won't want to pay more than $200 total for rental. So, if I'm doing a serious climbing trip -- a week or more -- I'm not going to want to pay more than $30/day for a week, or $15/day for two weeks.

If I'm on a business trip, and sneaking in a day, or weekend, of climbing -- this might be more helpful. But, then, hopefully I'm hooking up with someone local to climb, and they have gear.

you were able to fly to most far away places with 2 bags but now you get 1 freebee and the other ,$250 per extra bag if traveling outside of US on most airline and that is for 50 lbs.

your rope is 16 lbs
basic rack is 25 lbs
harness, shoe and misc another 10 lbs

you are already at 50 lbs without your personal clothing, backpack and other stuff.

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Nov 21, 2013, 5:53 AM)

JimTitt

Nov 21, 2013, 8:28 AM
Post #6 of 15 (12115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
dagibbs wrote:
What gear?

you were able to fly to most far away places with 2 bags but now you get 1 freebee and the other ,$250 per extra bag if traveling outside of US on most airline and that is for 50 lbs.

your rope is 16 lbs
basic rack is 25 lbs

you are already at 50 lbs without your personal clothing, backpack and other stuff.

Luckily I normally go climbing with someone else so I throw half the stuff in their baggage!
The default position for Euros who fly with dirtbag airlines with minimal luggage allowance is to buy a cheap rope at the destination and only take old personal gear (socks, teeshirts etc). End of the trip dump the old clothes and bring the rope home.
Paying $50 a day to hire a rack for a couple of weeks or take my own and buy a rope for $100 seems pretty easy to work out anyway!

dagibbs

Nov 21, 2013, 10:27 AM
Post #7 of 15 (12107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

Really? $250? My quick survey of one (Delta, a big player) gave far cheaper than that. For domestic (and Canada), it was $25 first baggage, $35 second. For international, it was free for first and varying between free and $100 depending on where you go.

US Airways was either free or $100.

rocknice2

Nov 21, 2013, 11:58 AM
Post #8 of 15 (12093 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My take on it was that your traveling on a sport trip or bouldering and a particular destination has a trad line you want to do. Just rent-a-rack for a couple days.
If the plan is to trad climb for anything longer than a week, then I would bring my own gear and pay the luggage fee.
I don't believe the $250 fee for extra bags. Which airline charges this Majid?

marc801

Nov 21, 2013, 3:51 PM
Post #9 of 15 (12059 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dagibbs wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Really? $250? My quick survey of one (Delta, a big player) gave far cheaper than that. For domestic (and Canada), it was $25 first baggage, $35 second. For international, it was free for first and varying between free and $100 depending on where you go.

US Airways was either free or $100.

There's also the option of shipping your gear ahead of you if you're on an extended trip.

Regarding Majid's claim of $250 - perhaps for some airlines, but most are much less. Remember Majid, Google is your friend. Search on <international air travel extra bag rates> and the very first non-sponsored link is: http://www.farecompare.com/...e-baggage-fee-chart/

JimTitt

Nov 21, 2013, 7:24 PM
Post #10 of 15 (12040 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Rental gear for climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There's also the option of shipping your gear ahead of you if you're on an extended trip.

This is how we move our bolting gear around Europe, getting a hundred kg of bolts and gear on the plane is virtually impossible, the resin doesn´t fly for sure and the drill batteries are a hassle.
$18 for 25kg anywhere in Europe is better than carrying it myself as well!

TheWolf

Nov 30, 2013, 5:31 AM
Post #11 of 15 (11881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

My company has had a rental division. We have suspended it this year as we gear up and I was involved in another project. We only did big wall gear, ledges, haul bags and hardware, hooks, heads, ascenders, hammers, and passive gear. No cams, or soft goods. We only supplied Yosemite bound climbers.

What is your target climbing area. Maybe we can partner up for referrals

Partner happiegrrrl

Nov 30, 2013, 3:43 PM
Post #12 of 15 (11859 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JimTitt] Rental gear for climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The default position for Euros who fly with dirtbag airlines with minimal luggage allowance is to buy a cheap rope at the destination and only take old personal gear (socks, teeshirts etc). End of the trip dump the old clothes and bring the rope home.

Smart!

ncrockclimber

Nov 30, 2013, 4:47 PM
Post #13 of 15 (11839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

your rope is 16 lbs
basic rack is 25 lbs

Majid, all of those weights are grossly incorrect. A 70M 10.1MM ( 63 g / m ) weighs less than 10 lbs. Maybe a HUGE aid rack weighs 25 lbs, but not your average lead rack. Finally, there is NO WAY that harness, shoes and misc gear (?) weighs 10 lbs. Your weight estimates, like almost everything else you write, are BS.

edit for typo

(This post was edited by ncrockclimber on Nov 30, 2013, 4:48 PM)

majid_sabet

Nov 30, 2013, 5:24 PM
Post #14 of 15 (11821 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ncrockclimber] Rental gear for climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ncrockclimber wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

your rope is 16 lbs
basic rack is 25 lbs

Majid, all of those weights are grossly incorrect. A 70M 10.1MM ( 63 g / m ) weighs less than 10 lbs. Maybe a HUGE aid rack weighs 25 lbs, but not your average lead rack. Finally, there is NO WAY that harness, shoes and misc gear (?) weighs 10 lbs. Your weight estimates, like almost everything else you write, are BS.

edit for typo

I wasn't talking your weekend rack in AZ but just weight of 2 jumar alone is 1 lbs and when you travel overseas to climb you always run it to surprises such as "ohh shit, we don't have this cam size or the rap anchor is missing" therefore you carry little more than you may need so go get your passport and start traveling .

lena_chita

Dec 1, 2013, 12:50 AM
Post #15 of 15 (11780 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
ncrockclimber wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

your rope is 16 lbs
basic rack is 25 lbs

edit for typo

I wasn't talking your weekend rack in AZ but just weight of 2 jumar alone is 1 lbs and when you travel overseas to climb you always run it to surprises such as "ohh shit, we don't have this cam size or the rap anchor is missing" therefore you carry little more than you may need so go get your passport and start traveling .

Your attempt to convince people is failing so far.

I know people who flew to US from overseas. They used a combination of strategy that Jim Titt mentioned earlier in the thread (buying some gear at destination), as well as seeking people at their destination of choice who would be willing to loan them so me gear.

I have both loaned stuff like tent, thermarests, etc. and borrowed them from friends while traveling. On some occasions we had flew to a destination, bought couple pieces of gear that we couldn't borrow, and then left them for the partners we met up with, as a token of thanks for the help and gear that they have loaned us.

Other than crash pads, I never really had a need to rent any gear while traveling.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook