RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

LethargicMind

Nov 18, 2013, 5:28 AM
Post #1 of 11 (5330 views)
Shortcut

Shoe Brands
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone have any thoughts on brands of shoes, specifically Scarpa? I am looking into possibly getting a pair, but was wondering if anyone has had some. My current pair are Evolvs.

rocknice2

Nov 18, 2013, 12:39 PM
Post #2 of 11 (5261 views)
Shortcut

Re: [LethargicMind] Shoe Brands [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

LethargicMind wrote:
....??.........????............um..........shoe.........................???....................................oh......a thought ... crossed my ... mind..........Evolv..........fuck it ........... too much ... work...............

sungam

Nov 18, 2013, 3:01 PM
Post #3 of 11 (5240 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Scarpa makes some good shoes. Build quality tends to be good.

lena_chita

Nov 18, 2013, 3:13 PM
Post #4 of 11 (5232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

LethargicMind wrote:
Anyone have any thoughts on brands of shoes, specifically Scarpa? I am looking into possibly getting a pair, but was wondering if anyone has had some. My current pair are Evolvs.

Starting a new thread on the same subject you just asked a couple of days ago really wouldn't help you. So far, your posts are very appropriate for your username... but seriously, further duplicate threads on the same subject will be recycled. You've been warned,

Scarpa shoes are good. So are Evolvs. So are 5.10s, La Sportivas, Tenayas.

YOU NEED TO TRY THEM ON. You have to decide what kind of shoes you want-- down turned or flat, lace-up, velcro, or slip-on. And then you have to try every shoe in that category that you can, and pick one. You will never be able to try every single shoe in existence, and that's O.K. There is likely to be a shoe among the ones you can get that will fit.

Nobody else can choose a shoe for you, and certainly not over the internet.

If you really have been climbing for 3 years (unless we are talking once-a-month kind of climbing?) you should know all of this by now. And unless you are a teenager, you should have had plenty of opportunities in 3 years to travel and to try shoes in other places and stores, as you traveled. If you haven't yet, start now. Look for shoe demos at various climbing events. Look for gear stores when you visit family in other towns. Pay extra to order a bunch of model online and then return, Just use your brain, it helps.

sungam

Nov 18, 2013, 3:29 PM
Post #5 of 11 (5226 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Shoe Brands [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why did you leave out Mad Rock, Climbx and La Sportiva, Lena? Are they not good enough for you?

gunkiemike

Nov 19, 2013, 10:35 PM
Post #6 of 11 (5154 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LethargicMind wrote:

I have a pair of Scarpas and I like them.

So therefore they are what you should buy.

(see the problem with this?)

LethargicMind

Nov 20, 2013, 3:08 PM
Post #7 of 11 (5111 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] Shoe Brands [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

The value is the sam ewith any customer review. No intelligent person buys something because someone else liked it. However, if everyone has had issues with Scarpas then I wont waste my time trying several on.

(See the value with this?) <- I can further explain if need be.

curt

Nov 20, 2013, 4:36 PM
Post #8 of 11 (5094 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LethargicMind wrote:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p;sb=score&mh=25

You're welcome.

Curt

granite_grrl

Nov 20, 2013, 9:25 PM
Post #9 of 11 (5057 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LethargicMind wrote:
The value is the sam ewith any customer review. No intelligent person buys something because someone else liked it. However, if everyone has had issues with Scarpas then I wont waste my time trying several on.

(See the value with this?) <- I can further explain if need be.

I hate to be rude, but after climbing for three years don't you know anyone who wears Scarpa shoes?

Regardless, they are a quality brand, as are the other brands you lsited in your other thread.

gunkiemike

Nov 20, 2013, 11:41 PM
Post #10 of 11 (5048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

LethargicMind wrote:

I challenge you to find ANY climbing gear or service discussed on this or any other climbing forum where "everyone" has "issues" with the quality. See, that's the problem. Whether we're talking about resolers, ropes, cams, or shoes, there's always someone out there who is very satisfied, and there is also someone out there who's badmouthing it and telling folks to look elsewhere.

Buy what fits, and don't drag your toes.

M.

JohnCook

Nov 21, 2013, 12:11 PM
Post #11 of 11 (5016 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Shoe Brands [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

And Red Chilli, which are about the only shoe which fit my wierd foot shape (very wide at the fron, very narrow heel, and short end to end, a bit like a duck really!)
And to OP Like everyone else will be telling you, get out and try shoes on. It is an individual choice and only you will know what feels right for your feet!

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook