Forums: Climbing Information: Access Issues & Closures:
AZ Hiways- the Fight for Queen Creek, Phase 2?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

roninthorne

Jan 2, 2014, 12:14 PM
Post #1 of 1 (3076 views)
Shortcut

AZ Hiways- the Fight for Queen Creek, Phase 2?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, now that the Resolution land swap bill has passed away (for now), what is the story on the proposed new highway 60 plan that would swing the existing road line up out of Iron Canyon to instead cross Northern Devils Canyon at the power station, punch down through Apache Leap as an elevated roadway a la Linville Gorge and arrive at the valley floor far enough away to finally kill superior and eliminate all public/recreational access via existing roadways leading into the region?

I'm curious, since I've heard virtually nothing about this from any climbers, but have had several discussions with AZDOT and SRP engineers and managers about the plan. I thought they had planned to close the access road to the power station (Serro Rd) through part of 2014 to do major improvements for bringing in some heavier transmission equipment for upgrading the plant.

Is there still a problem with ticketing if you park in the big pullout just uphill and opposite the road to the far side of Lower Devil's? I remember when I was finishing up some of the routes on the Stormwatch and in the Hall of Doors that I often found one of those orange stickers on my windshield when I got back, and finally stopped because I was afraid of coming back to find my ride had been towed to Globe or something just as heinous.

Thanks for any info.

(edited for a "Doh!" moment)

(This post was edited by roninthorne on Jan 2, 2014, 12:25 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook