Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
I need climbers' advices about climbing shoes!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

1climbergirl

Jan 12, 2014, 11:09 AM
Post #1 of 6 (4749 views)
Shortcut

I need climbers' advices about climbing shoes!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, so I've been climbing for almost month now, and I want to know WHAT PROPER SHOES A BEGINNER SHOULD HAVE. So basically, I moved in to Asia and there's not much outdoor shops here unlike in the US. I found a store luckily but I only found what is called an EVOLV brand climbing shoes. They are very expensive and I don't wanna regret buying expensive shoes. There are many categories such as "slip ons", "lace-ups" etc. Since I don't anything about anything with climbing gears I need some advices.

[EDIT] It doesn't have to be for some "real rock climbing". I would only use them for indoor rock climbing gym. Hope my stupid question make sense.

I need recommendations for CHEAP, QUALITY, EVOLV shoes FOR BEGINNERS.

Hoping for your replies. Thanks!

(This post was edited by 1climbergirl on Jan 12, 2014, 11:12 AM)

brinosaur

Jan 12, 2014, 3:09 PM
Post #2 of 6 (4679 views)
Shortcut

Re: [1climbergirl] I need climbers' advices about climbing shoes! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Go for the Elektera or Defy model. Aim for 1/2 to 1 full size down from your street shoe, without socks. Rockstars and bandits are more expensive, but make for a decent shoe for beginners. All of the above are models from Evolv.

Curious, where in Asia are you? Most of the proshops in Asia carry more than one brand, and Evolv is not one that is commonly sold there.

6pacfershur

Jan 12, 2014, 10:09 PM
Post #3 of 6 (4636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if your gym rents shoes, try them, if you like them, maybe they would sell you a used pair....

1climbergirl

Jan 13, 2014, 1:41 AM
Post #4 of 6 (4618 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brinosaur] I need climbers' advices about climbing shoes! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the advice. I want to get my own climbing shoes than buying second hand.. Unimpressed

brinosaur wrote:

Curious, where in Asia are you? Most of the proshops in Asia carry more than one brand, and Evolv is not one that is commonly sold there.

I'm from California but moved in to Philippines. I found a store there and they have only EVOLV shoes. Shipping rate is so expensive. Was thinking about getting Defy or Elektra but then you suggested even better. Never tried any Evolv before so can you please tell me what you mean by "decent shoes"?

Thanks again

brinosaur

Jan 13, 2014, 3:06 AM
Post #5 of 6 (4593 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

By "decent", I mean shoes that are equally suitable for beginners as they are for more advanced climbers. The models I mentioned are affordable, and provided that they are properly fit they will perform well on most types of climbs.

In addition, Evolvs are fairly well made and sturdy -- they are not prone to delamination and are generally more wear-resistant than other brands. I've had shoes from other companies (including very pricey La Sportivas) that fell apart for reasons other than regular wear-and-tear.

If you can find a pair of new Evolvs for less than $100 (~5000 pesos?), you're looking at an OK price. In the US, the Defys and Elektras go for about $80-90, which is pretty low as far as climbing shoes go. Shop around if you can, however. For instance, In Taiwan and HK I regularly found 5.10s (a generally mid-expensive priced shoe in the US) for almost 30-40% less than prices in America.

(This post was edited by brinosaur on Jan 13, 2014, 3:12 AM)

brooklynclimber

Jan 13, 2014, 5:11 AM
Post #6 of 6 (4573 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brinosaur] I need climbers' advices about climbing shoes! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My daughter bought a pair of Evolv shoes - they're purple and I think are called Elektra - as her first pair. She was twelve when she bought them, and they have held up quite well. She's used them in the gym and outdoors a few times as well. I just bought her a new pair, not because the Evolv's wore out, but because she outgrew the shoes.

The shoes she had were well suited to a beginner, and the gym where I climb recommends them for new climbers.

You should also be aware that you can get shoes re-soled when they wear out, but shipping from the Philipines might be expensive. Most places I know about are in the US, but I'm sure that there are places closer to you.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook