RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

Partner j_ung

Jan 24, 2014, 2:32 PM
Post #1 of 7 (7599 views)
Shortcut

Meadow River, WV Access Issues
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I didn't see this posted already, so wanted to get it out there. If you're headed to the Other Place or any of the other stellar Meadow River South Side crags, you can no longer drive in. Details on how to access these crags legally can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/...cess/795165373834380

noell

Jan 24, 2014, 5:37 PM
Post #2 of 7 (7548 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Meadow River, WV Access Issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've heard about this Jay.

Anything underway to restore access via the rails to trails road? What a shame. Spent a lot of time down in there!

lena_chita

Jan 24, 2014, 6:06 PM
Post #3 of 7 (7533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
I didn't see this posted already, so wanted to get it out there. If you're headed to the Other Place or any of the other stellar Meadow River South Side crags, you can no longer drive in. Details on how to access these crags legally can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/...cess/795165373834380

Thanks for posting this, Jay. I've heard various short second-hand explanations, but this was a more comprehensive review of the situation.

I guess I won't be going back to my projects there anytime soon. Frown

IPissonurproj

Jan 29, 2014, 3:12 PM
Post #4 of 7 (7303 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a real disappointment. I thought this is the type of thing that participating in the Rendevous and donating to NRAC and the Access fund was supposed to avoid...

roninthorne

Jan 29, 2014, 4:49 PM
Post #5 of 7 (7295 views)
Shortcut

Re: [IPissonurproj] Meadow River, WV Access Issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Working on landowner permission and cooperation before driving across their land and bolting routes on their cliffs for a decade or so, and making contact before the land changes hands from original owners to their numerous descendants and corporate timber companies, seems to be a vital series of steps that were "overlooked".

surprise

roninthorne

Dec 9, 2014, 11:38 AM
Post #6 of 7 (6361 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roninthorne] Meadow River, WV Access Issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My, doesn't this thread seem to be brimming with information on how the AF is cleaning up its mess?

munky

Dec 9, 2014, 1:57 PM
Post #7 of 7 (6346 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roninthorne] Meadow River, WV Access Issues [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing will always carry a renegade, cavalier attitude. Yes, some climbers will play by the rules and be good little soldiers and let marching orders dictate what they do with regards to climbing. Others will do as they please and recreate as they please on our ever-so shrinking wild places. With that said, it's still easy enough to access that entire area, albeit a little more adventurous. You either ride your bike in from the gate at the bottom of Props Ridge ( I think it's Glade Creek), or you park your car on the side of the Meadow Bridge on Rt 19 heading Northbound and walk down to the road and access the various sectors that way.

If you're waiting for the politicians and lawyers to secure access then you might as well climb somewhere else. Rumor has it that they are actually putting in a rail trail in there that will connect to the Greenbrier River trail. I hope they do! We need more trails.

It's like Champe Rocks and every other access sensitive crag around, you do what you have to do. If there is a legal approach that is longer, take it and enjoy the adventure. If not, you know the risks and don't get caught.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook