RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

scienceguy288

Feb 5, 2014, 8:13 PM
Post #1 of 7 (3996 views)
Shortcut

Question regarding Devils Tower access and religious rights
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all,

I am working on a little class project regarding Native American land rights and wanted to focus on access issues at Devils Tower National Monument. As some may know, Devil's Tower is a sacred site for several Native American tribes, including the Lakota, Crow, Cheyenne, etc. As such, many tribes request climbers to not climb it; especially during June when they are practicing religious ceremonies around the monument. This is a voluntary request, and climbers are not legally required to heed it. I was hoping to hear some first hand accounts of how the climbing community at large and climbers in the area feel on this issue. Also, if you know of any other such access issues, I would very much appreciate hearing about them. Also, I set up an anonymous poll here:https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HK8NZMP where you can vote what you would do in this situation. You may have noticed that I also listed this post in I few climbing forums. I did so to increase my sample size. Although this isn't official research so it's not a major issue if my data is inaccurate, I would prefer not double counting people. So, vote in one; not all of them.

Thanks!

sbaclimber

Feb 5, 2014, 8:24 PM
Post #2 of 7 (3989 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scienceguy288] Question regarding Devils Tower access and religious rights [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ummmm, what if I don't currently live in the states.....?

granite_grrl

Feb 5, 2014, 8:37 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3985 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scienceguy288] Question regarding Devils Tower access and religious rights [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That was a terrible survey. It makes me wonder if you have ever climbed at the Tower, much less visited in the month of June.

scienceguy288

Feb 5, 2014, 8:38 PM
Post #4 of 7 (3984 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Question regarding Devils Tower access and religious rights [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You're right. I haven't done either. Would you please care to clarify your statement as to how I might improve the survey?

scienceguy288

Feb 5, 2014, 8:41 PM
Post #5 of 7 (3977 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] Question regarding Devils Tower access and religious rights [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:

Sorry. There should be an "other" category now.

sbaclimber

Feb 5, 2014, 9:49 PM
Post #6 of 7 (3924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

scienceguy288 wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:

Sorry. There should be an "other" category now.
Cheers!
I always wanted to climb DT, just never got to it while still in states. Still on my tick-list though.Cool

moose_droppings

Feb 6, 2014, 2:16 AM
Post #7 of 7 (3889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't done DT for a few years now, but ever since the natives have claimed it as one of their shrines, we have honored their request. Eleven months out of the year is better than none which I fear is something that could happen if respect is not given.
I personal feel that in my life time the NPS will invent a reason to ban all climbing there anyway.

Sorry, I don't do anonymous surveys or polls.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook