Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Is Evolv: Elektra shoes "waterproof enough" for beach bouldering?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

1climbergirl

Mar 31, 2014, 3:31 PM
Post #1 of 6 (5527 views)
Shortcut

Is Evolv: Elektra shoes "waterproof enough" for beach bouldering?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello everyone, so I brought a new pair of Evolv elektra. I am planning to go beach bouldering next week and I am worried about if the evolv elektra is "waterproof enough". I am currently in the Philippines and brought the shoes here so it's very expensive I brought it for about $140 and I wouldnt want it to go to waste.

I've read some posts here about climbing shoes to be water-resistant somehow but with specific brand but I havent seen any reviews about the elektra being used on water. This is my first climbing shoes that I ever own so I don't know much about climbing shoes. I want to know if they would be ruined or affect the durability when submerged into salt water.

Please no negative comments. Thanks
Edit: so sorry about the price I was mistaken it was $140 not $460.

(This post was edited by 1climbergirl on Mar 31, 2014, 4:58 PM)

marc801

Mar 31, 2014, 4:33 PM
Post #2 of 6 (5515 views)
Shortcut

Re: [1climbergirl] Is Evolv: Elektra shoes "waterproof enough" for beach bouldering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1climbergirl wrote:
Hello everyone, so I brought a new pair of Evolv elektra. I am planning to go beach bouldering next week and I am worried about if the evolv elektra is "waterproof enough". I am currently in the Philippines and brought the shoes here so it's very expensive I brought it for about $460 and I wouldnt want it to go to waste.

I've read some posts here about climbing shoes to be water-resistant somehow but with specific brand but I havent seen any reviews about the elektra being used on water. This is my first climbing shoes that I ever own so I don't know much about climbing shoes. I want to know if they would be ruined or affect the durability when submerged into salt water.

Please no negative comments. Thanks
Expensive? I'll say! $460??? Is that in US dollars? It sure isn't in Philippian Pesos. Just did a quick experiment and "ordered" a pair of Evolv Elektra rock shoes from REI. The shoes retail for $88.95 USD and international air shipping to the Philippines would be $40 USD for a total of $128.95 USD. Is there some kind of additional tax or import duty?

Since the uppers are synthetic and the lining is nylon, there's probably not too much of an issue in getting them wet with salt water, but it's probably best to minimize the soakings. I don't know what the innards of that shoe are made from - there is the possible risk of the mid-sole falling apart if it's soaked too often - but it depends on its composition.

1climbergirl

Mar 31, 2014, 5:09 PM
Post #3 of 6 (5501 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Is Evolv: Elektra shoes "waterproof enough" for beach bouldering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

NO it was about $140 not $460..Woke up in the middle of the night just to correct them. So sorry about that. But for me it is still very expensive for a beginner climbing shoes.

I'm actually not impressed on how evolv elektra was made. When I looked at it closely I think it was just glued or something that worries me. I'm really scared to even wash them. I'm also much more worried when the water may get inside the shoes.

I was wondering if some people here in the site had an experience with getting their elektras wet. I can't afford to buy another one if my shoes get damaged..

marc801

Mar 31, 2014, 8:15 PM
Post #4 of 6 (5437 views)
Shortcut

Re: [1climbergirl] Is Evolv: Elektra shoes "waterproof enough" for beach bouldering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1climbergirl wrote:
I'm actually not impressed on how evolv elektra was made. When I looked at it closely I think it was just glued or something that worries me. I'm really scared to even wash them. I'm also much more worried when the water may get inside the shoes.
All rock shoes are held together mostly with glue. Yeah, there's some stitching, and maybe more on one brand/model than another, but a lot of the major parts are glued together. Getting them wet occasionally, including inside, is no big deal. Soaking them multiple times a week otoh...... And it's not the glue that will fail, but the parts that are glued together.

Glues are pretty advanced these days. Consider that Patagonia and Arcteryx both make mountaineering jackets without a single stitch - all seams are glued together.

brinosaur

Mar 31, 2014, 10:22 PM
Post #5 of 6 (5409 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Is Evolv: Elektra shoes "waterproof enough" for beach bouldering? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Your shoes will be fine. Just be sure rinse them with fresh water and air dry later to keep them from stinking to high hell if you get seawater in them. It will also keep the velcro closures'metal buckles from rusting.

You can get 5.10s very cheaply in Hong Kong and Taiwan, probably for around or less than $100 US after shipping costs. Supporting the local shops is cool and all, but $140 for a budget model shoe is insane.

lena_chita

Apr 1, 2014, 2:09 PM
Post #6 of 6 (5295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I am not quite sure what you mean by "beach bouldering". If you mean that there are boulders on the beach, and you would be landing in the sand, that is very different than water soloing, where you would be climbing over water, and landing in the water, getting completely submerged.

In the first case, you don't have much to worry about, in terms of shoes.

In the second case, your shoes will also be fine, if you rinse and air-dry them afterwards. But yes, they will get wet, the water will get inside the shoes, and if you do the water soloing on a regular basis your shoes will definitely not last as long as they would for someone climbing dry rock.

I do not know of any climbing shoes that would be water-resistant enough not to get wet, in deep-water soloing situation. And everyone I know usually uses old shoes for deep-water soloing, instead of brand new ones.

As a general note, yes, shoes are expensive, and they seem especially expensive to beginners. But they are not a long-term "investment". They are a piece of gear that you will use, wear out, and discard (in less than a year, probably, since you are new).

Also, I seem to recall that you are very new climber with very little experience, and a recent toe injury that resulted from "barefoot bouldering". Perhaps under the circumstances you should reconsider your beach climbing excursion, and stick to the gym for now, saving both your shoes, and potentially the rest of your body.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook