Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Nut size suggestions
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

ricotomo

Apr 1, 2014, 11:36 PM
Post #1 of 6 (3946 views)
Shortcut

Nut size suggestions  (North_America: United_States: New_York: Adirondack_park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi guys. I'm going to be in the Adirondacks for the first time in a few weeks with a couple friends. We will be sticking to the Keene valley area and plan to do a lot of easy (under 5.7) long routes, like on the chapel pond slab. I don't do alot of trad climbing and wanted to make a few additions to my rack. I have one 1-12 set of nuts. What are the most common crack sizes? If I have a few bucks to add a few what sizes would you folks recommend? while I'm here does anyone route suggestions?

tl;dr what size nuts should I buy to climb in the Dacks?

sbaclimber

Apr 2, 2014, 7:40 AM
Post #2 of 6 (3907 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ricotomo] Nut size suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you have anything to supplement nut sizes 11+? (e.g. cams or hexes)
I climbed easy routes in the 'dacks for a number of years with only 2 full sets of DB wires. Based on my experience, and the routes I climbed, I think you will for the most part find doubles in the mid (6-10) range the most useful.
What crack size is the most common is hard to say, but a lot of the easier slab routes have finger sized cracks and constrictions.
For the wider stuff (e.g. chimneys) you are going to be wanting cams / hexes anyway.
As far as route suggestions...Chapel Pond Slab is definitely the best place in Keene for long easy routes. I always wanted to do the Wiessner Route on Washbowl, but never got around to it. Is supposed to be good though.
If you want to do some shorter stuff (i.e. if the weather isn't looking too stable) the Creature and Beer Walls are both close by with lots of easy stuff that can be protected with nuts.

rocknice2

Apr 2, 2014, 11:55 AM
Post #3 of 6 (3877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well it's impossible to tell what size nuts you have. The numbers don't correspond to any standard size, each company is different.
I'll assume you have a full set of nuts rated for free climbing [>6kn].

The easy multi pitch slab routes just don't take much gear at all.
Chapel Pond Slab and Poko Slab are amazing but runout. Micro cams help but creative nut placements work too.

The easy single pitch cracks are mostly in the finger to hand size.

Recommended rack for beginner at the Dacks:
Full set of nuts and cams from BDc4 .4 to 3, the 4 is useful in some 5.8 cracks.
Double up the nuts with DMM Alloy Offsets and cams in .75 - 2 range

ricotomo

Apr 3, 2014, 12:19 AM
Post #4 of 6 (3818 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] Nut size suggestions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
Well it's impossible to tell what size nuts you have. The numbers don't correspond to any standard size, each company is different.
I did not know that.

I also wanted to ask you guys if you guys also have a free camping recommendation? don Mellors guide has one spot marked in a pullout by the pond but its right by the highway...

dagibbs

Apr 3, 2014, 3:54 PM
Post #5 of 6 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ricotomo wrote:
Hi guys. I'm going to be in the Adirondacks for the first time in a few weeks with a couple friends. We will be sticking to the Keene valley area and plan to do a lot of easy (under 5.7) long routes, like on the chapel pond slab. I don't do alot of trad climbing and wanted to make a few additions to my rack. I have one 1-12 set of nuts. What are the most common crack sizes? If I have a few bucks to add a few what sizes would you folks recommend? while I'm here does anyone route suggestions?

tl;dr what size nuts should I buy to climb in the Dacks?

If you don't already have a set of cams to supplement the nuts, I would suggest thinking about supplementing with tri-cams rather than another set of nuts. Definitely pink & red, probably black & brown as well.

dagibbs

Apr 3, 2014, 3:56 PM
Post #6 of 6 (3779 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ricotomo wrote:
rocknice2 wrote:
I did not know that.

I also wanted to ask you guys if you guys also have a free camping recommendation? don Mellors guide has one spot marked in a pullout by the pond but its right by the highway...

Adirondack state park allows free wild camping most anywhere in the park. You should check the details of the rules, but it is something like at least 100 feet from any road or water source (and, possibly, established trail), and not above some altitude (maybe 4000 feet).

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook