Forums: Climbing Information: General:
I am curious, how many people microwave their shoes?.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Poll: I am curious, how many people microwave their shoes?.
Nothing. Throw in the pack and embrace the funk 11 / 28%
Air dry by hanging shoes off the pack 13 / 32%
Use drying shoe inserts 4 / 10%
Use antibacterial spray inside the shoes 5 / 12%
Use some kind of powder inside the shoes 2 / 5%
Use antibacterial spray on the feet 1 / 2%
Use some kind of powder on the feet 2 / 5%
Freeze shoes to kill backteria 0 / 0%
Microwave shoes to kill bacteria 1 / 2%
Wash regularly 1 / 2%
40 total votes

lena_chita

Apr 2, 2014, 7:47 PM
Post #1 of 19 (11371 views)
Shortcut

I am curious, how many people microwave their shoes?.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

No pancakes. This is serious!

sbaclimber

Apr 2, 2014, 8:36 PM
Post #2 of 19 (11344 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] I am curious, how many people microwave their shoes?. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I know it isn't exactly the "cool" option, but some people wear socks in their climbing shoes, which can also help immensely with the smell...
edit: assuming this has to do with smell...

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Apr 2, 2014, 9:21 PM)

donald949

Apr 3, 2014, 4:49 AM
Post #3 of 19 (11203 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] I am curious, how many people microwave their shoes?. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
I know it isn't exactly the "cool" option, but some people wear socks in their climbing shoes, which can also help immensely with the smell...
edit: assuming this has to do with smell...
Socks are good, when I'm not having a bigfoot day.

Gmburns2000

Apr 3, 2014, 10:18 AM
Post #4 of 19 (11170 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] I am curious, how many people microwave their shoes?. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use mostly my Scarpa Feroce shoes, though sometimes I use my Sportiva... ... shit, the yellow ones with the velcro that were so popular for such a long time - sorry, forgot the name. Anyway, I've never done anything to the shoes beyond the occasional (i.e. - once-per-year) spray with disinfectant when the gym's left it out for folks to use. I put my shoes in my pack, leave them out, forget them in my pack for a week, forget them at home when off to the crag (oops, different problem), etc. Sometimes they smell and sometimes they don't. However, never really had a problem of a strong smell.

I currently live in a city that has over 90% humidity nearly 100% of the time, and I used to climb a lot out of the northeast in the US plus in Scotland (another constant humidity location). When I remove my socks after having walked for about two hours each day (normal shoes) they smell and often my girlfriend sends my sneakers off to the laundry room for detention, but climbing shoes? Just odd that I've never had a problem.

Actually, it's funny because I only have a problem when I wear socks that wick moisture. I never use socks to climb. Not sure what to make of that.

lena_chita

Apr 3, 2014, 1:57 PM
Post #5 of 19 (11128 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] I am curious, how many people microwave their shoes?. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I guess there is also a range of nose sensitivities, to account for "it barely smells" option. There is also a question of how closely you get your nose to the shoes. If you are 6 feet tall and have a +6 ape index, and inflexible back, your nose probably never gets as close to your shoes as it might, for some differently shaped people. Tongue

My shoes definitely smell. I wouldn't say that they smell particularly strongly, in the spectrum range of climber shoes. But I can smell them when I sit down on the ground and take them off after a climb.

Now, I have known people whose shoes smell from 25 feet away, and are really deadly. But most climbing shoes fall into category of "don't want them on the table while eating, and can smell them in the car if the packs were left there on a hot day, otherwise not that bad, wont smell them from 6 feet away."

I have seen a definite decrease in smell when using the DryPointe balls. And I like the fact that my shoes feel drier. And, of course, there is that wonderful opportunity to say" hey, have you seen my balls" on a regular basis.

Gmburns2000

Apr 3, 2014, 2:11 PM
Post #6 of 19 (11125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm short, fairly flexible, and do get somewhat close to my shoes. Yes, they have a smell, but for some reason I only ever smell my feet when using wicking socks, as I said. My gf says that I don't have a problem with smelling bad (body odor, breath, etc), but on warm days when I've walked a lot...

I also take my shoes off after each pitch. Not sure if that helps. I imagine it does.

amarius

Apr 3, 2014, 3:00 PM
Post #7 of 19 (11105 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DIY anti-bacterial spray from isopropyl alcohol and tea tree oil works OK, at least in my opinion. My shoes definitely stink less than other folks' wearing same company's same models. Keep in mind - this is not a scientific or peer reviewed study ;)

As to microwaving - the internal temperature of shoe, probably, needs to get above Pasteurization temperature, which is 165F for "15s instantaneous effect". That might be a little high for various glues. Additionally, microwave ovens are notorious for non-uniformity of heating due to standing waves being formed, and those wavelengths being on the order of shoe size - this might result in both hot and cold spots, and make sterilization procedure less effective.

If I were really into heating shoes up, I would put them in an oven set at 145F and hold it for 30mins, perhaps more. The extended exposure would guarantee even distribution of heat.

lena_chita

Apr 3, 2014, 3:16 PM
Post #8 of 19 (11095 views)
Shortcut

Re: [amarius] I am curious, how many people microwave their shoes?. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope I did not give an impression that I was seriously thinking of microwaving shoes. Wink And putting them in the oven for half-hour.... Ahh, the aroma of baking breadshoes! Definitely a not-for-sale whole-house air freshener.

I can see the rubbing alcohol/tea tree oil being antibacterial. But I personally don't see myself using it. I know what I am capable of, on a regular basis. Hanging shoes off the pack (recently -- with the shoe inserts stuffed into the shoes) is the extent of my capacity for a regular shoe care.

amarius

Apr 3, 2014, 3:44 PM
Post #9 of 19 (11082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can see how shoe inserts, especially made from anti-bacterial wood species like cedar, can have both aromatic and lethal effect.

Question for you - IIRC you drive a Forester; it shares storage space with cabin. Which, in turn, shares aromas with cabin. How do you minimize shoe stink in the vehicle?

I typically use a dry bag - heavy PVC bag that is, when properly closed, impervious to air and water. That, unfortunately, prevents shoes from drying out, leading to stink, and rather ironic conundrum - to minimize stink I make my shoes stink

marc801

Apr 3, 2014, 4:19 PM
Post #10 of 19 (11066 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The basic problem with this and the other thread is that a lot of folks seem to be saying simultaneously:

1. I never do anything to minimize the stink in my shoes. Even the most basic shoe care of letting them dry out thoroughly.

2. Waaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! My shoes stink really bad. What can I do????

There is absolutely no reason for shoes to smell so bad that you can smell them from 6 feet away, or as someone said, 25'!!!! Prevention is easier and more effective than eradication.

Either do something to prevent the stink or STFU, n00bs!

budman

Apr 3, 2014, 5:20 PM
Post #11 of 19 (11039 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With the sand and the heat of the desert, dirt and the smell are a problem for me, especially on those really chossy climbing days. Dr. Bronner's, I prefer the spearmint, works well. Squirt a little into the shoe with a bit of warm water and scrub with a small stiff brush and rinse with a garden hose and let dry. I try and not soak the shoe as not to change the shape unless that's what your after.

Best to you and your not so smelly feet.

p.s. heat as in the sun, oven, microwave could easily get your shoes to delam

6pacfershur

Apr 3, 2014, 7:09 PM
Post #12 of 19 (11002 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
........My shoes definitely smell......

are you sure its your shoes?

moose_droppings

Apr 4, 2014, 5:20 AM
Post #13 of 19 (10924 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
No pancakes. This is serious!

Sure, take the fun out of it.

Wink

dr_feelgood

Apr 4, 2014, 11:17 PM
Post #14 of 19 (10799 views)
Shortcut

Re: [budman] I am curious, how many people microwave their shoes?. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

budman wrote:
With the sand and the heat of the desert, dirt and the smell are a problem for me, especially on those really chossy climbing days. Dr. Bronner's, I prefer the spearmint, works well. Squirt a little into the shoe with a bit of warm water and scrub with a small stiff brush and rinse with a garden hose and let dry. I try and not soak the shoe as not to change the shape unless that's what your after.

Best to you and your not so smelly feet.

p.s. heat as in the sun, oven, microwave could easily get your shoes to delam

BRONNER'S DOESN'T COME IN SPEARMINT, NOOOOOOB!

budman

Apr 4, 2014, 11:34 PM
Post #15 of 19 (10795 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] I am curious, how many people microwave their shoes?. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Actually was climbing before you were born, I would say that that qualifies me not a noob. I remember when cams were not and nuts were a new thing. Since I am older than dirt and had a senior moment, what I was really thinking of was peppermint. But Dr Bronner's sells, at least on their site, spearmint-peppermint in a hand pump container. Mistake on my part but actually learned something for the future through that mistake.

billcoe_

May 9, 2014, 3:19 AM
Post #16 of 19 (10107 views)
Shortcut

Re: [budman] I am curious, how many people microwave their shoes?. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Budman for the old guy win!

Actually, good thread. Old(er) guy here too. I find if I go a multi-day climb, my perpetual athletes foot will start acting up. Baby wipes between the toes will help fix it up. Climbing shoes are THE F**ing WORST for athletes foot. Hot day, feet hot and toes cramped tight together all day. Occasional use of antibacterial spray inside the shoe like Tinactin helps, but the stuff usually gets forgotten on a camping trip where climbing is involved.

ncrockclimber

May 9, 2014, 4:05 AM
Post #17 of 19 (10092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The funk from my shoes can be deadly. To combat this terrible oder, I spray lysol on the inside of my shoes after every workout / climbing trip, and let the shoes air out until dry. If it is humid, I use a fan to help the shoes dry out faster. This is the only method I have found to keep my shoes funk free.

Partner happiegrrrl

May 9, 2014, 7:03 PM
Post #18 of 19 (10024 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ncrockclimber] I am curious, how many people microwave their shoes?. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never had stinky climbing shoes(have had many brands and styles), but don't put them in my pack if they have moisture. Don't wear socks unless it is cold out, either. I guess I am just lucky and smell good.

But I once had a pair of Tevas that were bad stinky. My boyfriend wouldn't allow them in his van and insisted I wash them in fabric stuff before going on a roadtrip in Georgia. It helped - a little - but on the way back, he tied them to the rear window wiper.

They obscured the license plate and we got pulled over in a southern town where the whole force seemed to show up. Four cop cars-true!

Since it was his van, he got out and explained. I heard him telling them "Giver' er a ticket!!!!" They said "It's YOUR car; you will get the ticket.But....we can write a warning."

And one of the cops comes to my side, hands me a paper with warning "Obscured license plate-stinky shoes."

They all had great fun, the southern white men's club, making fun of the Yankee.

But stinky shoes.... I guess the trick would have to be to try to avoid sweat. Sock liners might help. Or rotating shoes every few hours so as not to have them on for a long time. But honestly - I think that using products meant to hide odors probably only makes it worse.

amarius

May 9, 2014, 8:37 PM
Post #19 of 19 (10007 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] I am curious, how many people microwave their shoes?. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That is one amusing story!
Still it gives me ideas - what if tie my climbing shoes to car rack and then go for 80mph interstate ride...
;)

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook