RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Evandoyer

Jun 6, 2014, 7:57 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2170 views)
Shortcut

Modes of Ascent
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I'm an old hat at climbing, but new to the boards and some of the lingo. I started to fill out some trip reports, just because I like graphs, but I have question on some of the terminology, and some of my unorthodox climbing.

So I guess most of my leads are either Onsight Flash, or Deja Vu (using John Long's definitions). Sometimes, instead of leading straight up, I instead do the first 50-80 feet and then set a top-rope. This is partly so my 8-year old grandson can get some climbing in, until I trust him on a belay stance. At the end of top-roping, I'll TR back to the gear, clean it except for one piece, and then lead on up.

So what would you call that? Is that still an Onsight if I'm not hangdogging?

kennoyce

Jun 6, 2014, 8:02 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2169 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Evandoyer] Modes of Ascent [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Evandoyer wrote:
So I'm an old hat at climbing, but new to the boards and some of the lingo. I started to fill out some trip reports, just because I like graphs, but I have question on some of the terminology, and some of my unorthodox climbing.

So I guess most of my leads are either Onsight Flash, or Deja Vu (using John Long's definitions). Sometimes, instead of leading straight up, I instead do the first 50-80 feet and then set a top-rope. This is partly so my 8-year old grandson can get some climbing in, until I trust him on a belay stance. At the end of top-roping, I'll TR back to the gear, clean it except for one piece, and then lead on up.

So what would you call that? Is that still an Onsight if I'm not hangdogging?

If you hang on the rope and are lowered to the ground you would have to call it a hangdog, if you downclimbed all the way to the ground without weighting the rope you might be able to call it an onsight.

Really though, who cares, just be honest about what you did and have fun.

Evandoyer

Jun 7, 2014, 3:32 AM
Post #3 of 3 (2096 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] Modes of Ascent [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well now, that's the best advice. Just have fun.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook