RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

tequilaboom

Jun 8, 2014, 2:48 AM
Post #1 of 3 (3005 views)
Shortcut

Headlamp Advice Needed
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey folks,

I'm looking to purchase a new headlamp to take with me while climbing (miltipitch included). Most likely this headlamp will be used to find the trail back from the top but I can imagine the need to actually climb the last stretch before topping out (just in case it gets dark). I am looking for something lightweight (trying to stay away from the external battery pack situation).

Do you folks have any suggestions? Your headlamp reviews are welcome too!

Thanks for the help!

moose_droppings

Jun 8, 2014, 11:04 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2931 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tequilaboom] Headlamp Advice Needed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Your going to get a lot of different suggestions based on personal preference, so here's mine.

I have a lot of headlamps but my favorite for climbing is the older model BD Spot. It has four .5watt lights for area lighting and 1 watt lamp for good distance lighting. Both modes have 2 stage lighting depending on your need at the time. The .5 watt lighting has more then enough lite for close work along with some range. The 1 watt mode is great for reaching out there for route finding on the trail or rock.

No matter which one you end up getting, always carry spare batteries in another headlamp that has the same battery type. Never trust just one light or one set of batteriess or sooner or later you'll find yourself in the dark.

(This post was edited by moose_droppings on Jul 31, 2014, 4:29 AM)

Partner Jeff
Owner

Jun 9, 2014, 6:25 PM
Post #3 of 3 (2873 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tequilaboom] Headlamp Advice Needed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I really like the Black Diamond Storm: http://www.backcountry.com/...amond-storm-headlamp

Plenty bright enough for me, the red light is useful for not killing night vision, and the waterproof feature, though rarely useful here in California, when it comes in handy it really comes in handy.

Two problems I've had are after using it every night on a month long trip, I noticed small cracks in the lens. This happened with both mine and my wife's. We got replacements under warranty from REI and had the same thing after another ~30 days of usage (spread out over a year this time)

Other problem is we used rechargables and they dropped out rather fast--LEDs are so much more sensitive to the voltage drops that rechargables experience earlier than alkalines. If you stay with alkalines you should be fine, or expect your rechargables to only last a little while before needing recharging.

(This post was edited by Jeff on Jun 9, 2014, 6:26 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook