Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Any truth to Quarry shutdown rumor ?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

gregory_huey

Mar 28, 2014, 7:28 AM
Post #1 of 10 (8607 views)
Shortcut

Any truth to Quarry shutdown rumor ?  (North_America: United_States: California: Riverside_County: Riverside_Rock_Quarry)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello All,
I heard a nasty rumor this evening at a local climbing gym that after the recent injury at the quarry, "the city" is "shutting the quarry down", and that a land-owner had recently showed up to tell people it was private property and they had the leave. Is this (or anything remotely similar) true?

(Apparently I need to specifically ask for replies only from either quarry locals, or those with direct knowledge of this particular incident)

kennoyce

Mar 28, 2014, 4:21 PM
Post #2 of 10 (8477 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gregory_huey] Any truth to Quarry shutdown rumor ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gregory_huey wrote:
Hello All,
I heard a nasty rumor this evening at a local climbing gym that after the recent injury at the quarry, "the city" is "shutting the quarry down", and that a land-owner had recently showed up to tell people it was private property and they had the leave. Is this (or anything remotely similar) true?

(Apparently I need to specifically ask for replies only from either quarry locals, or those with direct knowledge of this particular incident)

I highly doubt it, but I'd talk to Louie Anderson as he is the go to source of info for the quarry. his username on here is socalbolter so just send him a PM.

bandycoot

Mar 28, 2014, 6:22 PM
Post #3 of 10 (8455 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] Any truth to Quarry shutdown rumor ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If the rumors turn out to be true, can you please send an e-mail to the Allied Climbers of San Diego? Thank you!

http://www.alliedclimbers.org

socalclimber

Mar 30, 2014, 12:24 AM
Post #4 of 10 (8333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This issue has been at a slow simmer for a long time. It's been debated on this site before. Like it or not, the owners have a right to their property.

We will see what happens.

gregory_huey

Mar 30, 2014, 12:34 AM
Post #5 of 10 (8330 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalclimber] Any truth to Quarry shutdown rumor ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello,
I of course do not debate the right of the property owner to control their property. However, I was under the impression that the owner did not mind climbers - since not only do we not litter, but we also periodically clean up the property and help the police catch people who do illegally dump there. I thought that we had developed a good relationship with the owner?

So, my question is this: has there been any recent, dramatic, decisive change in this situation? and, have other parties become involved, such as the city? Perhaps because of the recent injury and helicopter evac made issues more high-profile?

(This post was edited by gregory_huey on Mar 30, 2014, 1:00 AM)

socalclimber

Mar 30, 2014, 12:49 AM
Post #6 of 10 (8325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I'm not Louie.

Fred20

Apr 1, 2014, 8:39 PM
Post #7 of 10 (8154 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hope it's not shutdown, some pretty cool climbs there, despite the fact that it's a dump and we had ATV's shower us w/ some rock fall in Feb.

jt512

Apr 1, 2014, 11:34 PM
Post #8 of 10 (8132 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

socalclimber wrote:
This issue has been at a slow simmer for a long time. It's been debated on this site before. Like it or not, the owners have a right to their property.

It's not quite that straightforward. California law provides for recreational access to private property under certain conditions. It would be up to a judge to decide, as I understand it. Here, for example, hikers prevailed over property owners for access to the El Prieto trail.

socalclimber

Apr 1, 2014, 11:47 PM
Post #9 of 10 (8130 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Any truth to Quarry shutdown rumor ? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup, Jay is correct. It's a can of worms. The problem will be that if the owner decides to exercise his rights of ownership, somebody would have to take him to court.

This is why I love people talking about law suits. What they fail to understand is that they are EXPENSIVE!

td

Jul 15, 2014, 1:10 AM
Post #10 of 10 (7490 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That link to the legal case is interesting reading; however it's not clear whether the same precedents apply to the Riverside quarry. You will notice that they divide the history into several eras, the most important being pre- 1972. In that case the court found that the trail had a historic and overt "implied public dedication." In addition, it was shown that the land was used "for a period of time in excess of five years preceding March 4, 1972, for public recreation purposes." Can that be shown for the quarry? If not, I would not put any eggs in a legal basket. Instead, the likely best path is through relationships with the land owner, the county planners and supervisors, and options such as the Access Fund land conservation campaign.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook