Forums: Community: Campground:
You are not wanted here.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 4115 4116 4117 4118 4119 4120 4121 4122 4123 ... 4213 Next page Last page  View All

lena_chita

Jul 31, 2014, 5:06 PM
Post #102951 of 105309 (4493 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snoopy138] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
bummer about the knee but at least you were in control of the decision.

I myself spent the weekend in texas, getting fatter, weaker and drunker. It was pretty fun for the most part. Woulda tried to track down the koala for some climbing, but it was just a 48 hr trip. Hopefully get out for a day this weekend.

I did manage to lose my license some how. Getting on the plane without one wasn't that hard. I tried to make a dmv appointment to get a gnu one, but the first appointment isn't available for a solid month. WTF.
What, you need an appointment to get a drivers license? California is weird...here you just show up. Older kindling now has a earners permit. Oh boy!
Leathers, not earners!
That doesn't work either. I suppose the narcs kicked in... or your child is a wise-man protege....

If any wise-man would take him, I am open for negotiations. Unfortunately, wise men are way to wise to take on teenagers.
I do not think this means what you think it means.

either that, or she's got interesting plans for her kid.

LOL. It is never fun to explain word play that wasn't understood the first time.

I assumed you were talking about Wise men, as in band, because of the leathers. But responded as if you were talking about wise-men, e.i. shamans. Or biblical wise men. In my mind both of those made sense. I guess not.

granite_grrl

Jul 31, 2014, 6:26 PM
Post #102952 of 105309 (4485 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

House flies are bad this year. They keep buzzing around me here at the office.

Anyway, just tried to kill one with a flyswatter. It was a long shot, it was sitting on the handle of my desk. Anyway, I hit it, it goes flying....right down my shirt! And it's still alive! And there were people right there, so I couldn't hardly start feeling around in my shirt to try to get rid of it.

It did fly out and fly away. I just wanted to tell someone about it.

That is awl.

Partner camhead

Jul 31, 2014, 8:51 PM
Post #102953 of 105309 (4469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
camhead wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Oh yes, the flight home was cool. I was looking out the window and saw this amazing rock formation! Just a massive castle coming up out of a plane, with a couple dikes radiating out. Looked at the google later and saw it was Shiprock, which I had sort of guessed but wanted to confirm. Also saw Lake Powell which was neat. Finished the descent right over tuolumne and the valley.
Lake powell can eat a choad

Durp.

Getting out West for rockstar book tour in a few wekes. Not desert season but still psyched to get back to Capitol reef.

west just being the desert regions?

Yeah, just Yewtah. Still looking like I'm going to do a larger roadtrip in the winter to SoCal, though.

Partner camhead

Jul 31, 2014, 9:28 PM
Post #102954 of 105309 (4461 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, finished up the hangboard cycle for the month, and am pretty psyched about the way training is going so far. It's been unusually cool here in the Dubbya Vee, temps haven't gotten over 80 for nearly a week. Got out climbing yesterday for the first time in a while, and it went pretty well, despite the regular post-hangboard lack of power. Was so psyched that I climbed all day– 9 or 10 pitches up to 12c– then went bouldering until dark afterwards.

The big challenge for building power is going to be putting together a good bouldering circuit with reliable moves that won't get wet all the time. Otherwise I'm gonna be doing a lot of commutes to the gym in Charleston.

lena_chita

Jul 31, 2014, 10:17 PM
Post #102955 of 105309 (4455 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
House flies are bad this year. They keep buzzing around me here at the office.

Anyway, just tried to kill one with a flyswatter. It was a long shot, it was sitting on the handle of my desk. Anyway, I hit it, it goes flying....right down my shirt! And it's still alive! And there were people right there, so I couldn't hardly start feeling around in my shirt to try to get rid of it.

It did fly out and fly away. I just wanted to tell someone about it.

That is awl.

LOL, I would have liked to see your face when that happened. I hate flies! Sometimes i feel that I hate them even more than mosquitoes.

lena_chita

Jul 31, 2014, 10:29 PM
Post #102956 of 105309 (4451 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
Well, finished up the hangboard cycle for the month, and am pretty psyched about the way training is going so far. It's been unusually cool here in the Dubbya Vee, temps haven't gotten over 80 for nearly a week. Got out climbing yesterday for the first time in a while, and it went pretty well, despite the regular post-hangboard lack of power. Was so psyched that I climbed all day– 9 or 10 pitches up to 12c– then went bouldering until dark afterwards.

The big challenge for building power is going to be putting together a good bouldering circuit with reliable moves that won't get wet all the time. Otherwise I'm gonna be doing a lot of commutes to the gym in Charleston.

Is this in preparation to the trip out West? Otherwise, I am having a hard time imagining why you'd do a hangboard cycle that ended on July 31st. Seems like it is way too early for the fall climbing season?

The temps have been chilly here, too. It is interfering with my tomato ripening. I was counting on some furnace-hot dog-days-of-summer kind of weather.

Black Krym is going to be the first ripe tomato this year-- again. Cucumbers are doing a good job so far. And I have about 15 little honeydews hanging on their vines. It's an Asian variety called Silver Stripe. I have never had it before, but they looks awfully cute so far. And yes, stripey.

I have been looking and my eggplants and peppers and doing some mental math though. I mean, sweet banana peppers and jalapenos are cranking out the peppers reliably. And there are some fruits hanging on poblano, too. But the sweet bell peppers just don't produce enough to justify having room for them in the garden. I have never been able to get more than couple of those sweet bell peppers per plant, and they are usually much thinner-walled than the sweet bell peppers that you get at the store, and not as sweet, either. And the same with eggplants. I get maybe two eggplants per plant, especially on the bigger kind. One variety is still to produce ANY fruit on the 3 plants at all.

granite_grrl

Aug 1, 2014, 11:50 AM
Post #102957 of 105309 (4424 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I tried bell peppers one year and never again. They take too long and just don't produce enough. Sheppards are a good option for a sweet pepper, but they still take longer than say a sweet banana. Could work well for you though, I think your growing season is a touch longer?

I've done pretty okay with egg plant in the past, but for the number I need and use I just buy them.

Let me know how the mellons do. I've never had luck, I think they need too much water (this may have been a good year to try them).

Partner cracklover

Aug 1, 2014, 12:32 PM
Post #102958 of 105309 (4418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you like spicy, plant some jalapenos next year. Of all the peppers I've ever grown, those produce (by far) more, and earlier, than any other.

Funny thing about jalapenos - they only get spicy if they're water-stressed. Couple of years I watered them every day, and they were super-happy - big, bushy plants, full of gorgeous jalapenos. Tried several different varieties, from different companies. Couldn't figure out why nearly every last one of 'em had no heat. The next year I let them get a little wilty between waterings, and they spiced right up.

GCool

Partner camhead

Aug 1, 2014, 12:37 PM
Post #102959 of 105309 (4417 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:

Is this in preparation to the trip out West? Otherwise, I am having a hard time imagining why you'd do a hangboard cycle that ended on July 31st. Seems like it is way too early for the fall climbing season?

Yeah, it's not the best time for true periodization, but I just decided that, since July is usually so grim with conditions, and I'd be traveling for half of August, it was the best time to just kind of reboot my finger strength. I don't really want to have a defined peak this season, but just come into it in better shape than off-the-couch. And hangboard strength sticks around for a loooong time.

And yeah, I would like to climb well when I'm in Yewtaw, heh.

[garden tawk]. I've got one pepper plant that is huge, but no fruit yet. Booooo. Even planted mint that is struggling (how the fuck for that happen?). Only thing that seems to be doing well in the forest soil is oregano, which is going nuts.

granite_grrl

Aug 1, 2014, 2:26 PM
Post #102960 of 105309 (4410 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
If you like spicy, plant some jalapenos next year. Of all the peppers I've ever grown, those produce (by far) more, and earlier, than any other.

Funny thing about jalapenos - they only get spicy if they're water-stressed. Couple of years I watered them every day, and they were super-happy - big, bushy plants, full of gorgeous jalapenos. Tried several different varieties, from different companies. Couldn't figure out why nearly every last one of 'em had no heat. The next year I let them get a little wilty between waterings, and they spiced right up.

GCool

I've never noticed the water stress, I've also heard that a nice hot summer will produce hotter peppers, but haven't really noticed that either.

What does seem to be true is you want a nice crackling on them. We always leave them until they get nice and red.

I find they produce later than a couple of the other hot peppers we grow. The cayennes do really well, but they have very little meat to them. We started growing these nice little thai type chillies that are fucking rad. The plant stays really small up here, but they are prolific. They have produced the first ripe peppers for my this year.

Another variety that I really like big bombs, but couldn't find them. I found them about as hot as my jalapenos, but a bit bigger and meatier. Couldn't find them this year though :(.

lena_chita

Aug 1, 2014, 2:27 PM
Post #102961 of 105309 (4410 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
I tried bell peppers one year and never again. They take too long and just don't produce enough. Sheppards are a good option for a sweet pepper, but they still take longer than say a sweet banana. Could work well for you though, I think your growing season is a touch longer?

I've done pretty okay with egg plant in the past, but for the number I need and use I just buy them.

Let me know how the mellons do. I've never had luck, I think they need too much water (this may have been a good year to try them).

I've never tried sheppards, haven't even heard of them, but I will look for them next year. And yeah, eggplants are doing o.k. But I want to have maybe 2-3 eggplants a week for as many weeks as possible. And that doesn't seem to happen.

I am doing really well with succession planting of small stuff, like lettuce, radishes, spinach, cilantro, etc. I haven't needed to buy any since the end of June.

And next year, when I can start the garden earlier, I would be good with succession planting of beets and carrots. They are doing well, I just haven't had any yet, because I planted late.

But I can't figure out how to have succession of eggplants or peppers. Everybody says that you should plant a mixture of early and late varieties to extend the season. But no matter what I plant, they all mature at the same time. And not particularly prolifically.

Oh yeah, and I have irrigation system in place, courtesy of Heffe. So hopefully the melons are getting enough water.

lena_chita

Aug 1, 2014, 2:30 PM
Post #102962 of 105309 (4409 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
cracklover wrote:

GCool

I've never noticed the water stress, I've also heard that a nice hot summer will produce hotter peppers, but haven't really noticed that either.

What does seem to be true is you want a nice crackling on them. We always leave them until they get nice and red.

I find they produce later than a couple of the other hot peppers we grow. The cayennes do really well, but they have very little meat to them. We started growing these nice little thai type chillies that are fucking rad. The plant stays really small up here, but they are prolific. They have produced the first ripe peppers for my this year.

Another variety that I really like big bombs, but couldn't find them. I found them about as hot as my jalapenos, but a bit bigger and meatier. Couldn't find them this year though :(.

Yeah, I definitely noticed before that less watering = totter peppers. (The same goes for bitter cucumbers-- in this case, not a desirable feature, lol)

My jalapenos are not hot at all this summer. Kids approve...

I have picked a lot of green ones already, because I am impatient. But definitely plan to leave some to get red.

lena_chita

Aug 1, 2014, 2:36 PM
Post #102963 of 105309 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
lena_chita wrote:

Yeah, it's not the best time for true periodization, but I just decided that, since July is usually so grim with conditions, and I'd be traveling for half of August, it was the best time to just kind of reboot my finger strength. I don't really want to have a defined peak this season, but just come into it in better shape than off-the-couch. And hangboard strength sticks around for a loooong time.

And yeah, I would like to climb well when I'm in Yewtaw, heh.

[garden tawk]. I've got one pepper plant that is huge, but no fruit yet. Booooo. Even planted mint that is struggling (how the fuck for that happen?). Only thing that seems to be doing well in the forest soil is oregano, which is going nuts.

Yeah, oregano grows wild really well. I am sure mint will adapt, too. Just give it till next spring.

Did you get flowers at all on your peppers, or none. If you are getting flowers but no fruit, blame it on chilly weather. Peppers don't set fruit well when it's cold. But if it is lush green and big, and no flowers even, let alone fruit, then you have too much nitrogen.

snoopy138

Aug 1, 2014, 5:30 PM
Post #102964 of 105309 (4392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gardening tawk << bread talk <<<<<< biking tawk

granite_grrl

Aug 1, 2014, 5:46 PM
Post #102965 of 105309 (4385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
gardening tawk << bread talk <<<<<< biking tawk

I can live with this.

Peppers are fucking awesome though.

dr_feelgood

Aug 1, 2014, 6:58 PM
Post #102966 of 105309 (4381 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing Tawk!

Bugaboos TR

After getting to the parking lot and porcupine-proofing our car, we bivied and then hiked in the next morning. Despite a ninety-pound pack, it wasn’t that bad, taking about 2.5 hours for a three mile hike with 3000’ of vert.

Check out my sexy thighs...

The first day, we set up our dome sweet dome, and scouted the approach to the Northeast Ridge of Bugaboo Spire. When we went for it the next morning, we got to the col and hid in a cave while waiting out a lightning-graupel storm. Back to the tent. That afternoon, Aki led a somewhat gross and overgrown 5.10 corner, and we hiked Eastpost.

Day three, we re-attempted Northeast Ridge, and were successful. 11.5 hours camp to camp.

There is even a fantastic poo-with-a-view on the Bugaboo-Snowpatch Col.

Day four, the weather was supposed to be shit. We took it easy, even though it wasn’t too bad. Days five and six, however, it was shit. After over ten thousand cumulative points in rummy and five rounds of Settlers of Catan in the Kain hut, we were a bit nuts.

Day seven, we attempted to do the Pigeon spire route. It was a bit rime-y, so we bailed and did part of a route up the pigeon toe.

We also walked all over the fucking park, and Anthony bonked hard. Like sets-up-autoblock-off-harness hard.

Day eight, we went and did Surf’s Up with our neighbor Andy. Ended up on a party-belay with seven people total.
Ended up coming off at sunset.

Day nine, Aki and I did a route up pigeon spire. I want to say it was Tailfeathers left. Or right. I don’t remember.
Here is the last bit of the approach on 60 degree plus snow.

And the third belay.

Twizzlers and Arizona Ice tea after nine days of climbing make for one hell of a readjustment. My guts still don’t feel right.

tripperjm

Aug 1, 2014, 7:37 PM
Post #102967 of 105309 (4372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hummm.... Well, just try to be in shape,

If you're going to try to send teh Hole.

granite_grrl

Aug 1, 2014, 8:03 PM
Post #102968 of 105309 (4365 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was going to ask if you got an ACC membership to stay at the hut, but then remembered that it's only the huts in the East where members get a discount.

dr_feelgood

Aug 1, 2014, 8:26 PM
Post #102969 of 105309 (4354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
I was going to ask if you got an ACC membership to stay at the hut, but then remembered that it's only the huts in the East where members get a discount.
Yeah, we just camped. You get to save $15 a night on fees, and it cuts an hour and a thousand feet of vertical off of every approach.

lena_chita

Aug 1, 2014, 9:22 PM
Post #102970 of 105309 (4347 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
Climbing Tawk!

Bugaboos TR

After getting to the parking lot and porcupine-proofing our car, we bivied and then hiked in the next morning. Despite a ninety-pound pack, it wasn’t that bad, taking about 2.5 hours for a three mile hike with 3000’ of vert.

The first day, we set up our dome sweet dome, and scouted the approach to the Northeast Ridge of Bugaboo Spire. When we went for it the next morning, we got to the col and hid in a cave while waiting out a lightning-graupel storm. Back to the tent. That afternoon, Aki led a somewhat gross and overgrown 5.10 corner, and we hiked Eastpost.

Day three, we re-attempted Northeast Ridge, and were successful. 11.5 hours camp to camp.

Day four, the weather was supposed to be shit. We took it easy, even though it wasn’t too bad. Days five and six, however, it was shit. After over ten thousand cumulative points in rummy and five rounds of Settlers of Catan in the Kain hut, we were a bit nuts.

Day seven, we attempted to do the Pigeon spire route. It was a bit rime-y, so we bailed and did part of a route up the pigeon toe.

We also walked all over the fucking park, and Anthony bonked hard. Like sets-up-autoblock-off-harness hard.

Day eight, we went and did Surf’s Up with our neighbor Andy. Ended up on a party-belay with seven people total.

Day nine, Aki and I did a route up pigeon spire. I want to say it was Tailfeathers left. Or right. I don’t remember.

And the third belay.

Twizzlers and Arizona Ice tea after nine days of climbing make for one hell of a readjustment. My guts still don’t feel right.

Nice pics!

And your sexy thighs are very white.

dr_feelgood

Aug 1, 2014, 10:00 PM
Post #102971 of 105309 (4340 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
Climbing Tawk!

Bugaboos TR

And the third belay.

Nice pics!

And your sexy thighs are very white.

I am a honkey....

chossmonkey

Aug 2, 2014, 4:49 PM
Post #102972 of 105309 (4318 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
woo?

Fuck you!!!!

That iz awl.

lena_chita

Aug 4, 2014, 5:01 PM
Post #102973 of 105309 (4222 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
woo?

Fuck you!!!!

That iz awl.

is this like a drive-by FU, or what?

snoopy138

Aug 4, 2014, 5:13 PM
Post #102974 of 105309 (4221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
Climbing Tawk!

looks fairly nice for a gross and overgrown corner

snoopy138

Aug 4, 2014, 5:14 PM
Post #102975 of 105309 (4218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:

coordinates?

First page Previous page 1 ... 4115 4116 4117 4118 4119 4120 4121 4122 4123 ... 4213 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook