Forums: Community: Campground:
You are not wanted here.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 4125 4126 4127 4128 4129 4130 4131 4132 4133 ... 4213 Next page Last page  View All

snoopy138

Aug 22, 2014, 10:34 PM
Post #103201 of 105309 (5826 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
Rolling rock!

That takes me back. Always disliked rolling rock, but not enough to not drink it if it's all we had.

yeah, that stuff is terrible. it was never the only thing we had, so I never had to drink it.

snoopy138

Aug 22, 2014, 10:35 PM
Post #103202 of 105309 (5822 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Rolling rock!

That takes me back. Always disliked rolling rock, but not enough to not drink it if it's all we had.

I like it well enough. Decent summer beer.

Rong.

caughtinside

Aug 22, 2014, 10:39 PM
Post #103203 of 105309 (5820 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
camhead wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Rolling rock!

Yeah... I guess.

Rolling Rock sucks. Skunky.

Went out for drinks with some fiernds in SLC the other night. Utah alcohol laws have changed a bit (no more private club laws, you can have more than one drink per person at the table now), but they still have that stupid fucking 3.2% restriction. You can get higher alcohol content beers in regular bars now, and there is even a good new microbrewery called Epic that makes good full strength beers, but it is completely impossible to get full-strength beer on tap ANYWHERE in Utah. Even if you visit the Epic brewery, they can only serve you their stuff in bottles.

So, when you order a beer on tap, they serve it to you in this huge 24 oz mug so you still get some sort of buzz, and you wind up waterlogged and bloated for the rest of the night. Booooo.

very Utah-rded

interesting. I work with a couple guys from utah and they told me the microbrew scene there is terrific. And these guys like their beer.

snoopy138

Aug 22, 2014, 10:41 PM
Post #103204 of 105309 (5817 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Rolling rock!

Yeah... I guess.

Went out for drinks with some fiernds in SLC the other night. Utah alcohol laws have changed a bit (no more private club laws, you can have more than one drink per person at the table now), but they still have that stupid fucking 3.2% restriction. You can get higher alcohol content beers in regular bars now, and there is even a good new microbrewery called Epic that makes good full strength beers, but it is completely impossible to get full-strength beer on tap ANYWHERE in Utah. Even if you visit the Epic brewery, they can only serve you their stuff in bottles.

So, when you order a beer on tap, they serve it to you in this huge 24 oz mug so you still get some sort of buzz, and you wind up waterlogged and bloated for the rest of the night. Booooo.

Epic makes pretty gud beers.

caughtinside

Aug 22, 2014, 10:42 PM
Post #103205 of 105309 (5814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
camhead wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Rolling rock!

Yeah... I guess.

very Utah-rded

interesting. I work with a couple guys from utah and they told me the microbrew scene there is terrific. And these guys like their beer.

Although I should add that I am a big fan of low alcohol beer. I don't really understand the attraction of over proofed beers, they taste like ass and you get wasted off of one. That's no fun.

caughtinside

Aug 22, 2014, 10:43 PM
Post #103206 of 105309 (5813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
camhead wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Rolling rock!

Yeah... I guess.

very Utah-rded

Although I should add that I am a big fan of low alcohol beer. I don't really understand the attraction of over proofed beers, they taste like ass and you get wasted off of one. That's no fun.

While we're on the subject of silly beers, and you guys will love this, I bought a 12 pack of Budweiser the other week.... of 8oz cans!! They are hilarious!! And Tiny! Like those Tree Top Apple Juices I drank as a kid. So much fun!!AngelicAngelicAngelic

granite_grrl

Aug 22, 2014, 11:38 PM
Post #103207 of 105309 (5806 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snoopy138] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
Hey Mo, it's tomato season up here, picked up a half bushel of Roma's last weekend for $13. Lovely big guys too.

I've been curious about making ketchup since you talked about it here a while ago, but I'm also thinking it's going to be too much effort if I have to skin them by hand, and WAY too much effort if I need to remove the skins.

How many tomatoes do you use for a batch? I don't go through that much ketchup in a year anyway.
It's definitely worth beg borrowing or stealing either a hand crank food mill (most you can hook up to a drill- MOAR power!) because then you just slice tomatoes in half, toss it in, and sauce comes out one end and seeds and peels the other. Boom.

I want to say I take about 30 pounds and turn it into 8 half pints. It's not a lot because you cook it down even thicker than sauce. But...omg it's delicious. Once you have it you're just like 'Heinz who?'

If you're using the processor you can do the whole thing in a day, otherwise you can always freeze the raw sauce/purée as you go then unfreeze all at once to process into ketchup. You don't need special gear for the canning outside of one if those blue enamel canners but even if you don't have that you can use a big pot with a towel on the bottom (so water can circulate 360* around the jars).

Once jarred they last 2+ years, so even if you have a shitty afternoon of blanching and seeding by hand- I still think it's worth it if you can get 20 half pints out if it. Keeps well in the fridge too but def not as long as store bought.

Want me to send you a jar to taste test?

First, approximitly how many tomatoes is in 8lbs? Second, I fucking hate talking pints, quarts and ounces. What a stupid fucking system. And now I have to go look up how many ml a pint is. (just looked it up, a pint 473mL....I assume you did the super small jars because it doesn't last as long?).

Oh, how long does it last once you open the jar anyway? I could see that not being worth while because I don't use ketchup very often.

I'd love to get a jar to taste, but I'm in the great white north and shipping would probably be a lot. Maybe I can try making a super small batch just to see if I want to go through with it?

You got kitchen scales? Put a few average-sized tomatoes on the scale and see how much they weigh, so you can do your number of tomatoes per pound conversion... This stuff is approximate, anyway.

And yes, I use a tomato mill also, for processing larche batches. It is really nice because you don't need to dunk the tomatoes into hot water first, to loosen the skin. Just cut then into halves or quarters. If I were making just a couple of jars, I would do a pot of hot water and peel them, but it does get pretty tedious if you are doing this alone, and have to dunk couple bushels of tomatoes into boiling water, and then peel them by hand.

(g_g flies into rage at the word bushel... I'm with you! I still have no idea how much is a bushel, in normal measurements. But I do know what a bushel basket of tomatoes look like)

I'm okay with bushel, I mean a bushel is a bushel. I still think pints quarts and ounces are idiotic.

base 10 units are too easy awesome.

Fixed that for you.

granite_grrl

Aug 22, 2014, 11:43 PM
Post #103208 of 105309 (5803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
camhead wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Rolling rock!

Yeah... I guess.

very Utah-rded

Don't go to Quebec then.

I still have an over sized Unibroue Maudite in my fridge from February. I think the bottle is a full liter and it's 8%. I have no idea when I'm going to drink it.

granite_grrl

Aug 22, 2014, 11:44 PM
Post #103209 of 105309 (5803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
camhead wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Rolling rock!

Yeah... I guess.

very Utah-rded

While we're on the subject of silly beers, and you guys will love this, I bought a 12 pack of Budweiser the other week.... of 8oz cans!! They are hilarious!! And Tiny! Like those Tree Top Apple Juices I drank as a kid. So much fun!!AngelicAngelicAngelic

*shitz pantz in rage*

climbs4fun

Aug 22, 2014, 11:46 PM
Post #103210 of 105309 (5802 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
camhead wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Rolling rock!

Yeah... I guess.

very Utah-rded

Don't go to Quebec then.

I still have an over sized Unibroue Maudite in my fridge from February. I think the bottle is a full liter and it's 8%. I have no idea when I'm going to drink it.

I love Maudite

granite_grrl

Aug 23, 2014, 12:11 AM
Post #103211 of 105309 (5795 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbs4fun] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbs4fun wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
camhead wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Rolling rock!

Yeah... I guess.

very Utah-rded

Don't go to Quebec then.

I love Maudite

I do too, the point stands that I'm going to be drunk if I drink that entire bottle by myself. It's more of a sharing beer anyway.

curt

Aug 23, 2014, 7:46 AM
Post #103212 of 105309 (5769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbs4fun wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
camhead wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Rolling rock!

Yeah... I guess.

very Utah-rded

Don't go to Quebec then.

I love Maudite

La Fin Du Monde is also excellent.

Curt

Partner camhead

Aug 23, 2014, 1:47 PM
Post #103213 of 105309 (5750 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snoopy138] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

snoopy138 wrote:
camhead wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Rolling rock!

Yeah... I guess.

Epic is gud. I just wish I could get their stuff on tap. I'm not sure if they sell kegs outside the state.

Partner camhead

Aug 23, 2014, 1:49 PM
Post #103214 of 105309 (5750 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
camhead wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Rolling rock!

Yeah... I guess.

very Utah-rded

Sounds like Type 3 Fun.

Partner camhead

Aug 23, 2014, 1:59 PM
Post #103215 of 105309 (5749 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wrapping up mah Utah trip here; the Taco is loaded down with paintings, guns, wine, and power tools. Heading down South to the redrock in Capitol Reef for one more book lecture, then busting over to Moab, then to RADo where I may try to climb with Angry. Then back to Dubbya Vee just in time for Labor Day. I guess it's been raining there the whole time I've been gone, woohoo!

Got pulled over last night on the way home from a friend's house, for going 30 in a 25. Scared the shit out of me, since the small town cops here can be real fascists. I'd had two beers, too, which could have fucked me. But I passed the alphabet test with flying colors, didn't get a speeding ticket, and the officer was actually pretty nice. But jeez, that could have been bad.

granite_grrl

Aug 23, 2014, 2:24 PM
Post #103216 of 105309 (5743 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
climbs4fun wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
camhead wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Rolling rock!

Yeah... I guess.

very Utah-rded

Don't go to Quebec then.

I love Maudite

Curt

Jiant bottles of Fin du Monde are even harder to drink if you don't feel like getting drunk at 9% alcohol.

I find all the Unibroue stuff kinda....flowery? It's good, but I'm not always in the mood for it, even the regular alcohol level stuff.

climbs4fun

Aug 23, 2014, 5:43 PM
Post #103217 of 105309 (5731 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
climbs4fun wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
camhead wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Rolling rock!

Yeah... I guess.

very Utah-rded

Don't go to Quebec then.

I love Maudite

Curt

I'll have to check that out, thanks

Partner epoch

Aug 24, 2014, 8:27 PM
Post #103218 of 105309 (5686 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
Just got back from two days of wedding festivities.... I think I got asked/told to go pass out in my truck as I was complaining because the woman I was dancing with and wanted to have sex with was married, and I tried to explain that if she didn't think it was a problem, neither would I.

Also, the person officiating the wedding forgot to tell everyone to sit down during the ceremony. I'm not the only one!
Was there a canoe? Was it booze filled?

dr_feelgood

Aug 24, 2014, 10:01 PM
Post #103219 of 105309 (5681 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
Just got back from two days of wedding festivities.... I think I got asked/told to go pass out in my truck as I was complaining because the woman I was dancing with and wanted to have sex with was married, and I tried to explain that if she didn't think it was a problem, neither would I.

Also, the person officiating the wedding forgot to tell everyone to sit down during the ceremony. I'm not the only one!
Was there a canoe? Was it booze filled?

No canoe-- But I was booze-filled for sure!

dr_feelgood

Aug 24, 2014, 10:02 PM
Post #103220 of 105309 (5679 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, I heard from the NoCakians following their tremblor. Everyone seems fine. Minus all the old farts in Napa, but whatever.

caughtinside

Aug 24, 2014, 11:58 PM
Post #103221 of 105309 (5672 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes it was exciting. 50 miles away and it shook our house pretty good. Woke me up from the bed just shaking. I didn't hear anything break, so I went back to sleep. It felt like it lasted a long time, like almost a minute.

I think there are several water main breaks in Napa, and a friends 50 gal reptile tank fell off the stand and smashed.

lena_chita

Aug 25, 2014, 2:35 PM
Post #103222 of 105309 (5651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
Yes it was exciting. 50 miles away and it shook our house pretty good. Woke me up from the bed just shaking. I didn't hear anything break, so I went back to sleep. It felt like it lasted a long time, like almost a minute.

I think there are several water main breaks in Napa, and a friends 50 gal reptile tank fell off the stand and smashed.

Ugh. Not fun. I can't say I liked them when I was growing up.

Drivel posted a blurb about waking up to her first earthquake.

snoopy138

Aug 25, 2014, 5:15 PM
Post #103223 of 105309 (5627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
camhead wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Rolling rock!

Yeah... I guess.

very Utah-rded

well, a lot of them taste quite good, and for many of us, we don't actually get wasted off just one of them.

snoopy138

Aug 25, 2014, 5:16 PM
Post #103224 of 105309 (5622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
camhead wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Rolling rock!

Yeah... I guess.

very Utah-rded

Don't go to Quebec then.

It's probibly 750 ml, though I guess it's possible they do full liter-a-colabeer for the canadian market.

snoopy138

Aug 25, 2014, 5:17 PM
Post #103225 of 105309 (5620 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] You are not wanted here. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
snoopy138 wrote:
camhead wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Rolling rock!

Yeah... I guess.

Epic is gud. I just wish I could get their stuff on tap. I'm not sure if they sell kegs outside the state.

I've had their stuff on tap at numerous establishments in socak. At full abv.

First page Previous page 1 ... 4125 4126 4127 4128 4129 4130 4131 4132 4133 ... 4213 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook