RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

skalla92

Aug 22, 2014, 10:51 PM
Post #1 of 7 (9545 views)
Shortcut

Training advice
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everyone, I climb V6/7 and 5.11C/D. I havent been climbing all summer due to other adventures like river rafting and canyoneering. I also just moved to a different state, UT, so that doesnt help. Back in Colorado before I moved I was on a rock climbing team with some of the youth nationals top ten boys and girls which helped a lot with training. Now in Utah i only have a few climber friends who only climb V4 and 5.10d.

So my question is, I need a good list of bodyweight workouts that cover every climber muscle and the opposing muscles, and then also some sports that can help as cross training. Im going to try to join a climbing team here in Utah soon.

Right now im mountain biking and slacklining for lowerbody and some core and balance. Im also doing some bodyweight core workouts along with pushups and pullups.

Also im a 6'5" 17 year old so I really need to work the muscles used to keep me up on overhangs since the extra weight from being tall along with my feet being farther out which of course makes it harder to keep up on overhangs. Im hoping to get into the double digits with bouldering before I die, I know, itll take many many years.

lena_chita

Aug 23, 2014, 12:33 PM
Post #2 of 7 (9443 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skalla92] Training advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

skalla92 wrote:
Hey everyone, I climb V6/7 and 5.11C/D. I havent been climbing all summer due to other adventures like river rafting and canyoneering. I also just moved to a different state, UT, so that doesnt help. Back in Colorado before I moved I was on a rock climbing team with some of the youth nationals top ten boys and girls which helped a lot with training. Now in Utah i only have a few climber friends who only climb V4 and 5.10d.

So my question is, I need a good list of bodyweight workouts that cover every climber muscle and the opposing muscles, and then also some sports that can help as cross training. Im going to try to join a climbing team here in Utah soon.

Right now im mountain biking and slacklining for lowerbody and some core and balance. Im also doing some bodyweight core workouts along with pushups and pullups.

Also im a 6'5" 17 year old so I really need to work the muscles used to keep me up on overhangs since the extra weight from being tall along with my feet being farther out which of course makes it harder to keep up on overhangs. Im hoping to get into the double digits with bouldering before I die, I know, itll take many many years.

You are in Utah. go climb! Climbing IS the body-weight exercise that works every climbing muscle. It's not like there is a shortage of rocks out there. Nor a shortage of gyms http://www.indoorclimbing.com/utah.html

While it is nice to have climbing partners who climb at the same level as you do, it is not necessary for climbing. Especially bouldering. But everywhere in Utah that I have climbed there were climbs in the 5.10 range in decent vicinity of climbs in the 5.11 range, so really, you will be fine. And the gyms will have them, too. You will meet more climbers, including climbers in your grade range, if you go climbing. Not if you do crunches at home, sorry.

skelldify

Aug 23, 2014, 2:35 PM
Post #3 of 7 (9425 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Training advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Amen!!!

rocksister

Sep 6, 2014, 8:16 PM
Post #4 of 7 (8741 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skalla92] Training advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I train in Utah during the summer. Not only is there a wide assortment of outdoor climbing in the mountains, but there are plenty of indoor gyms. I don't know where in Utah you are, but I know of two solid climbing gyms WITH YOUTH TEAMS in Utah. One of them is in Ogden at a gym called The Front. They host Regionals or Divisionals for the southwest regions quite a lot. The other team is at a gym called Momentum. There are two locations, Millcreek and Salt Lake, and practices switch off between the two. A lot of people on Team Momentum are nationally ranked.

Hope this helps :)

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook