Forums: Climbing Information: General:
What is the formula for calculating rope breaking strength?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dr_feelgood

Aug 25, 2014, 6:37 PM
Post #26 of 28 (1834 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tpcollins] What is the formula for calculating rope breaking strength? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

tpcollins wrote:
Actually I have taken advice here and have changed my lanyard to the Beal Dynaclip which is made of dynamic rope. I saw a video online comparing various tests on daisy chains (that I first bought) showing them breaking on a short impact. The Beal stretched like a rubber band and didn't break - that's what I'll be using. And this lanyard will be kept snug all the time to the attachment line so if I do fall, I won't fall far.

I do have a Tree Spider treestand harness which is one of the best available. However, if I fall with the rear attached tether, I would be hanging forward thereby putting pressure on the femoral artery as well as being faced away from the tree.

I've tested both setups from a rafter in my garage and the Petzl harness does not put any pressure on the femoral artery like the Tree Spider does, plus with the lanyard tied into the front, I feel I have a better chance of getting back facing towards the tree for self rescue. Plus my lifeline is situated inline with my climbing sticks to aid in self rescue. If I became unconscious and then fell out of the stand, I believe my survival chances increase with the Petzl.

Thanks again for the help.

Jesus. How much do you plan on drinking in your treestand?

rocknice2

Aug 25, 2014, 7:34 PM
Post #27 of 28 (1823 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tpcollins] What is the formula for calculating rope breaking strength? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

tpcollins wrote:
Plus my lifeline is situated inline with my climbing sticks to aid in self rescue.

Well that explains everything. Good hunting
and Your Welcome

sbaclimber

Aug 26, 2014, 8:25 PM
Post #28 of 28 (1783 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] What is the formula for calculating rope breaking strength? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
tpcollins wrote:
Actually I have taken advice here and have changed my lanyard to the Beal Dynaclip which is made of dynamic rope. I saw a video online comparing various tests on daisy chains (that I first bought) showing them breaking on a short impact. The Beal stretched like a rubber band and didn't break - that's what I'll be using. And this lanyard will be kept snug all the time to the attachment line so if I do fall, I won't fall far.

I do have a Tree Spider treestand harness which is one of the best available. However, if I fall with the rear attached tether, I would be hanging forward thereby putting pressure on the femoral artery as well as being faced away from the tree.

I've tested both setups from a rafter in my garage and the Petzl harness does not put any pressure on the femoral artery like the Tree Spider does, plus with the lanyard tied into the front, I feel I have a better chance of getting back facing towards the tree for self rescue. Plus my lifeline is situated inline with my climbing sticks to aid in self rescue. If I became unconscious and then fell out of the stand, I believe my survival chances increase with the Petzl.

Jesus. How much do you plan on drinking in your treestand?
+1
We are here on RC.com, so overthinking things is to be expected, but seriously....if you think you are going to fall out of your treestand, then just tie yourself to the tree and be done with it!

PS, if you fall asleep, not only will you potentially fall out of the tree, the "prey" will probably get away as well...Tongue

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook