Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Help me get to the IFSC World Paraclimbing Championships!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

carabiner96

Jul 24, 2014, 3:32 AM
Post #1 of 46 (19712 views)
Shortcut

Help me get to the IFSC World Paraclimbing Championships!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey gang!

A lot of y'all here know me, I practically grew up on this site! I've kept up with the climbing and just this last weekend qualified to join the US Team in Spain in September for the world climbing Championships.

I'm so excited for the chance to bring hone the gold for my country, and I've been training hard (read more about that here: http://yellowscene.com/...03/20/on-the-ascent/) But of course this trip costs moolah and I'd appreciate any help I could get.

Thanks gang, and if you can't donate, just send me some good vibes mid September when I face off against the Euros (they look STRONG!)

My go fund me page link: http://www.gofundme.com/c12ffw/

My gold medal from Nationals (but not my baby):

Competing in ABS Nationals:

Gimpy McStump!

carabiner96

Jul 24, 2014, 3:38 AM
Post #2 of 46 (19708 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Help me get to the IFSC World Paraclimbing Championships! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

An article about Paranationals this past weekend: http://www.climbingbusinessjournal.com/...s-leap-at-nationals/

optic

Jul 25, 2014, 4:23 AM
Post #3 of 46 (19548 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Help me get to the IFSC World Paraclimbing Championships! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

I like that you're bragging that you made it as first place when you were 1 of 1. Have to say it, but at least be forthcoming about not really being compared to something and state that you had no competition. I'm all for encouraging more women and women with disabilities to climb, but the way you are doing it is misleading. Also, being third of three isn't any better when you sell it as something greater.

http://usaclimbing.net/...ionals%20Results.pdf
Source.

carabiner96

Jul 25, 2014, 5:13 AM
Post #4 of 46 (19538 views)
Shortcut

Re: [optic] Help me get to the IFSC World Paraclimbing Championships! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sorry that you feel that way! I would LOVE to have more competition. The competitive side of adaptive climbing is new and growing, so if you know anyone who's interested please send them my way! That's one of the reasons I'm so excited about Europe, they're so far ahead of us when it comes to their adaptive climbing teams and there is some real competition.

And I am proud of being first of one, second overall, and of putting myself out there in the oft-uncomfortable competition venue. Ask anyone here who knows me, I'm not content to just be the handicapped kid that 'tries really hard'. It took a lot of effort, training, money and time to get to where I'm at today. Am I proud of my 1/1 finish? Yup, you betcha. And I don't see anything wrong with being proud of something you worked hard for.

Mostly, I'm excited to share the potential that competitive adaptive climbing has to offer. I did a bunch of climbing comps in college and even when I did well in those, never did I imagine that there would be entire comps dedicated just to para climbing!

But please, I'm serious - there are great programs all over the country so if you know any body who may be interested in climbing or volunteering, please send them my way. Or swing by yourself sometime and see what we're actually all about.

sungam

Jul 25, 2014, 11:56 AM
Post #5 of 46 (19506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was going to donate but it won't let me pay by paypal.

I sent you a facespace messege to see if we can sort something (even though you totally dodged me in Ouray like a be-atch!).

amarius

Jul 25, 2014, 1:18 PM
Post #6 of 46 (19490 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Andrew Bisharat published a piece Wild and Free on para-climbing on his blog.

carabiner96

Jul 25, 2014, 2:23 PM
Post #7 of 46 (19479 views)
Shortcut

Re: [amarius] Help me get to the IFSC World Paraclimbing Championships! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

amarius wrote:
Andrew Bisharat published a piece Wild and Free on para-climbing on his blog.
Thanks I missed that! I met Philippe at the Vail Mt Games last year and he's such a funny guy- and STRONG!

carabiner96

Jul 25, 2014, 3:03 PM
Post #8 of 46 (19471 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Help me get to the IFSC World Paraclimbing Championships! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
I was going to donate but it won't let me pay by paypal.

I sent you a facespace messege to see if we can sort something (even though you totally dodged me in Ouray like a be-atch!).
That was some world class dodging too , Ouray was crawling with dot commers that weekend!

I'll take to you on face space but I feel like this $6 will cost me something that involves my dignity...

USnavy

Jul 27, 2014, 6:03 AM
Post #9 of 46 (19319 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by USnavy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (7 ratings)  

sungam

Jul 27, 2014, 8:55 AM
Post #10 of 46 (19291 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Help me get to the IFSC World Paraclimbing Championships! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
How about we donate money to them instead?
We do, dumbass. We just don't get a choice in the matter.

If you're done with your entitled "I enlisted" rant, don't you have a Tin Man to run today (good luck on that, btw)? Cool

I don't see anything wrong with Mo asking her friends to see if they want to donate. Especially since she hasn't been shitty about it by guilt tripping people or spamming it freaking everywhere.

lena_chita

Jul 27, 2014, 1:31 PM
Post #11 of 46 (19263 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Help me get to the IFSC World Paraclimbing Championships! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
Awesome, another person asking for a handout to fund their vacation instead of just working like everyone else does. I would have loved a handout on my last 9-month climbing trip, but instead of asking for free money I just did it the old-fashioned way: working, saving, budgeting, ect.

God it pisses me off that people say they would never ask for money for a vacation, but they have no problem asking for money for a "spiritual guidance adventure," AKA hiking the PCT, or "supporting my country in a competition," aka pulling plastic for a day at the IFSC comp. Crazy

There are vets in this country that are dieing because the VA wont give them the care they need. Vets that gave everything so Americans can pig out at McDicks, get type II diabetes at 25, and lay big pipe on the Internet. How about we donate money to them instead? Just a random guess, but I bet that's a better use of one's donations...

People donate money to all sorts of causes for all sorts of reasons. Asking is not a crime. I am pretty sure that nobody is holding a gun to your head and making you press the donate button.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jul 27, 2014, 8:49 PM
Post #12 of 46 (19229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Best of luck to you!

I would like to donate and will try again later. For some reason, when I click the link, I am getting a "problem loading page" message, though it isn't happening on other links. Even when I click the Go Fund Me Home link via google it isn't going. Maybe the site is temporarily down right now.

As for the naysayers...wow. A shame that type of commentary is an example of "community" this place offers in the last few years.

USnavy

Jul 28, 2014, 1:58 AM
Post #13 of 46 (19191 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by USnavy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  

caughtinside

Jul 28, 2014, 2:18 AM
Post #14 of 46 (19180 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
Awesome, another person asking for a handout to fund their vacation instead of just working like everyone else does. I would have loved a handout on my last 9-month climbing trip, but instead of asking for free money I just did it the old-fashioned way: working, saving, budgeting, ect.

Funny that people say they would never ask for money for a vacation, but they have no problem asking for money for a "spiritual guidance adventure," AKA hiking the PCT, or "supporting my country in a competition," aka pulling plastic for a day at the IFSC comp. Crazy

There are vets in this country that are dying because the VA wont give them the care they need. Vets that gave everything so Americans can pig out at McDicks, get type II diabetes at 25, and lay big pipe on the Internet. How about we donate money to them instead? Just a random guess, but I bet that's a better use of one's donations...

So it's ok for vets to pick on the handicapped? Way to go tough guy.

Its really easy to not donate if you don't want to. Clearly its more difficult to keep your idiot mouth shut about it.

granite_grrl

Jul 28, 2014, 2:08 PM
Post #15 of 46 (19118 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Mo, I love that you're taking this step towards major comp climbing. It's not something that is taken seriously in North America for many climbers, but I'm sure you've found that you have recieved new respect for your climbing from the non-climbers in your world.

The fact is that international comp climbing is a true test of your ability (yes, those euros are tough!) and is a way of legitimising our sport to the non climber world.

Thanks for doing your part to moving comp climbing forward in North America.

sungam

Jul 28, 2014, 5:31 PM
Post #16 of 46 (19091 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:
Actually you dont donate shit because you dont live in the US and dont pay US federal income tax.
I would have to pay back taxes if I wanted to move back there, though. Luckily I never make enough yearly to owe anything Cool

Skitian85

Jul 29, 2014, 12:45 AM
Post #17 of 46 (19047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congratulations. I signed up on here just to say that. I'm a paraclimber, adaptive climber, as well. Not to sure what's the more preferred term anymore. I'll definitely be watching the comp, I hope you make it there.

Partner camhead

Jul 29, 2014, 11:16 PM
Post #18 of 46 (18950 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:

There are vets in this country that are dying because the VA wont give them the care they need. Vets that gave everything so Americans can pig out at McDicks, get type II diabetes at 25, and lay big pipe on the Internet. How about we donate money to them instead? Just a random guess, but I bet that's a better use of one's donations...

Not everything is about 'Nam, Walter.

Seriously, Mo qualified to compete in an international comp. That's kind of different from hiking the PCT or doing a roadtrip.

I mean, when the Special Olympics finally accepts climbing, and you get to go represent the US there, I'd be the first to donate, USn00b.

carabiner96

Aug 4, 2014, 4:08 PM
Post #19 of 46 (18754 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Help me get to the IFSC World Paraclimbing Championships! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
Best of luck to you!

I would like to donate and will try again later. For some reason, when I click the link, I am getting a "problem loading page" message, though it isn't happening on other links. Even when I click the Go Fund Me Home link via google it isn't going. Maybe the site is temporarily down right now.

As for the naysayers...wow. A shame that type of commentary is an example of "community" this place offers in the last few years.
You may not remember but you are one of my original 'sponsors' - back in 2006 you had a contest for climb addict and I ended up with a swag bag full of goodies! I still have some stickers on my laptop!

carabiner96

Aug 4, 2014, 4:14 PM
Post #20 of 46 (18750 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Skitian85] Help me get to the IFSC World Paraclimbing Championships! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Skitian85 wrote:
Congratulations. I signed up on here just to say that. I'm a paraclimber, adaptive climber, as well. Not to sure what's the more preferred term anymore. I'll definitely be watching the comp, I hope you make it there.
Gimps unite! Where are you located? I'm always trying to grow the tribe. I helped host a climbing clinic for a limb loss group and there were two ladies there who we're also missing hands. In my desperation to get them more involved I may have, uh, come on a little strong Blush I haven't seen them back- oops!

We also have a lot of veterans at our x3 monthly clinics too, those guys and gals are rad- especially the ones that bring their service dogs. Omg puppies!

Skitian85

Aug 6, 2014, 3:03 AM
Post #21 of 46 (18662 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
Gimps unite! Where are you located? I'm always trying to grow the tribe. I helped host a climbing clinic for a limb loss group and there were two ladies there who we're also missing hands. In my desperation to get them more involved I may have, uh, come on a little strong Blush I haven't seen them back- oops!

We also have a lot of veterans at our x3 monthly clinics too, those guys and gals are rad- especially the ones that bring their service dogs. Omg puppies!

I'm in Hagerstown, Md. I climb at Earth Treks Rockville. I've got a deformity in my right hand, short nubby fingers from surgery. It limits my right hand to most jugs, certain pinches, and some slopers. Finger pockets, crimps, and big pinchers are not doable, but I can work around them a bunch. I've thought about trying to start up a group out here, but I haven't seen many others, maybe 1 or 2. I need to start searching harder and post in the right places.

Skitian85

Aug 30, 2014, 2:41 PM
Post #22 of 46 (18245 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Skitian85] Help me get to the IFSC World Paraclimbing Championships! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What's the verdict? Are you gonna make it out there to Spain?

carabiner96

Sep 1, 2014, 2:04 AM
Post #23 of 46 (18149 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Skitian85 wrote:
What's the verdict? Are you gonna make it out there to Spain?
Yes! And - ohmihgosh- I leave Saturday. I'm feeling strong- I guess that's what happens when you practice! The whole diet thing didn't go well, so I just trained extra hard :)

Here;'s video I found from the 2012 champs (they're every two years)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpOTRHyro3Q

ncrockclimber

Sep 1, 2014, 2:42 AM
Post #24 of 46 (18139 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

USnavy wrote:

Funny that people say they would never ask for money for a vacation, but they have no problem asking for money for a "spiritual guidance adventure," AKA hiking the PCT, or "supporting my country in a competition," aka pulling plastic for a day at the IFSC comp. Crazy

USNavy, you are an asshole.

Maureen, I wish you all the best with your training and upcoming comp. Seeing you succeed at climbing is truly an inspiration and a reminder that the only real limitations are the ones we set on ourselves. To put it another way, YOU ROCK!

Skitian85

Sep 1, 2014, 4:15 AM
Post #25 of 46 (18131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Awesome!! We'll be watching and rooting for you.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook