RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

seancharles

Sep 8, 2014, 12:11 AM
Post #1 of 5 (3066 views)
Shortcut

U.S Climbing Road Trip
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys

Was looking to start getting a few idea's on planning a trip to the USA to get some climbing done probably around either Nov 2015 or Feb 2016

Most likely flying into LAX and thinking about hiring a van or something like that and driving around for 2 months taking in the sites and ticking off some climbs.

Just wondering if people had any suggestions on where or what sort of places would be a good place to go visit. I'll climb anything (trad,sport and a few boulders here and there but mainly roped up). Pretty much just looking for a list of sweet places to investigate more and get a general idea of what to aim to get to.

also if anyone knows of any places that they'd recommend to hire a car for a month or two that would be great as well

sonso45

Sep 9, 2014, 4:42 PM
Post #2 of 5 (2936 views)
Shortcut

Re: [seancharles] U.S Climbing Road Trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Will you have a partner? What part of the USA will you fly into?

If you start on the east coast you will have lots of places to climb; generally no taller than a single pitch but there are exceptions. In the west you can have it all.

skelldify

Sep 9, 2014, 5:41 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2925 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your plans are too general for us to be able to give good recommendations. The western US is HUGE.

For general plans like yours, mountainproject.com is very helpful.

If you provide us with a more specific idea of what you're looking for, we can give more specific recommendations.

Maybe peruse mtn project, get some more specific plans together, then get back to us?

granite_grrl

Sep 9, 2014, 6:06 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2919 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

seancharles wrote:
Hey guys

Was looking to start getting a few idea's on planning a trip to the USA to get some climbing done probably around either Nov 2015 or Feb 2016

Most likely flying into LAX and thinking about hiring a van or something like that and driving around for 2 months taking in the sites and ticking off some climbs.

Just wondering if people had any suggestions on where or what sort of places would be a good place to go visit. I'll climb anything (trad,sport and a few boulders here and there but mainly roped up). Pretty much just looking for a list of sweet places to investigate more and get a general idea of what to aim to get to.

also if anyone knows of any places that they'd recommend to hire a car for a month or two that would be great as well

If you arrive November and plan to climb November December it's doable, but you'll be stuck in the far south and it'll be quite cold.

Try for February instead, you'll have more options and you'll be much more comfortable living out of a vehicle.

As for locations - I went on a road trip years ago after finishing University. I was still fairly green to climbing (was leading, but ignorant of many areas, etc). I just went through some climbing sites, picked out names of climbing areas I recognized (because at that point, if I recognized them they were pretty prominent areas) and then started connecting the dots.

Partner happiegrrrl

Sep 10, 2014, 8:12 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I go to the southwest in winter, arriving early late November, basing in Joshua Tree, which has an ever-changing influx of international and US-based climbers.

While December is the coldest month(and yes, you will either be limited to southern desert US), it is certainly not undoable. But, yeah - if you have the choice, I would absolutely wait till February. That will open up much more options.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook