RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

ChalkIsCheap

Nov 22, 2014, 7:19 PM
Post #1 of 15 (9700 views)
Shortcut

Planning a March Break trip from Ontario to Mexico
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guy's. My wife and I are planning a two week trip for this March Break 2015 and driving from Southern Ontario to El Potrero Chico and back.

On the way down and back I was planning on stopping at climbing areas to camp and climb between driving. So far I was planning on our first stop to be at the Red in Kentucky, second stop to be at Horseshoe Canyon Ranch in Arkansas. Coming back we wanted to stop in New Orleans and then maybe at OBED in Tennessee.

We are set on driving and climbing at multiple locations rather then putting all our eggs in one basket. I have done numerous trips where we have only climbed for a few days at each place and it was a great way to get a feel for an area and know whether you want to make a return trip or not.

We really want to do El Potrero and HCR, everything else in the middle is extra. We are hoping people have suggestions of destinations or things to do/see on the way or anything to be aware of. I am looking for good suggestions to break up the drive from HCR to El potrero as it is 15.5 hours. We lead up to maybe 5.10d sport and I lead 5.9ish trad maybe higher if it is better quality then southern ontario. OBED might be out of our grade range for a majority of the climbs so another option would be nice.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

dagibbs

Nov 24, 2014, 3:13 PM
Post #2 of 15 (9619 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ChalkIsCheap] Planning a March Break trip from Ontario to Mexico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Reimers Ranch is a limestone sport climbing crag near Austin, Texas. Might be a spot to break up the trip southward from Arkansas -- and it looks like it is (mostly) on the way.

Enchanted Rock is a granite dome that is a bit more off the direct path, but also around Austin -- more trad than sport I think. But another possibility for breaking the trip up.

marc801

Nov 24, 2014, 3:34 PM
Post #3 of 15 (9613 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ChalkIsCheap] Planning a March Break trip from Ontario to Mexico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

ChalkIsCheap wrote:
Hey guy's. My wife and I are planning a two week trip for this March Break 2015 and driving from Southern Ontario to El Potrero Chico and back.

On the way down and back I was planning on stopping at climbing areas to camp and climb between driving. So far I was planning on our first stop to be at the Red in Kentucky, second stop to be at Horseshoe Canyon Ranch in Arkansas. Coming back we wanted to stop in New Orleans and then maybe at OBED in Tennessee.

We are set on driving and climbing at multiple locations rather then putting all our eggs in one basket. I have done numerous trips where we have only climbed for a few days at each place and it was a great way to get a feel for an area and know whether you want to make a return trip or not.

We really want to do El Potrero and HCR, everything else in the middle is extra. We are hoping people have suggestions of destinations or things to do/see on the way or anything to be aware of. I am looking for good suggestions to break up the drive from HCR to El potrero as it is 15.5 hours. We lead up to maybe 5.10d sport and I lead 5.9ish trad maybe higher if it is better quality then southern ontario. OBED might be out of our grade range for a majority of the climbs so another option would be nice.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Two weeks and that itinerary? Seems like a super low climbing to driving ratio, but if that's what you want....

granite_grrl

Nov 24, 2014, 6:12 PM
Post #4 of 15 (9601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How many hours does it take to drive down to EPC? I've done a two week trip out to Devils Tower from Ontario before. It's a solid 24hours, and that was pretty much my limit.

John5

Nov 25, 2014, 3:38 AM
Post #5 of 15 (9566 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Planning a March Break trip from Ontario to Mexico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

google maps says 30hrs, door to door

sonso45

Nov 25, 2014, 12:35 PM
Post #6 of 15 (9543 views)
Shortcut

Re: [John5] Planning a March Break trip from Ontario to Mexico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Driving to EPC for a few days climbing, at most, is a lot of driving. Crossing the border with a car takes time and money. Get insurance. Stay on toll roads as much as possible. Do not drive at night.

I would recommend skipping Kentucky and head straight for HCR. Lovely place. Fun climbing.

On the way back, if you have time, then head to the Red.

marc801

Nov 25, 2014, 3:51 PM
Post #7 of 15 (9514 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sonso45] Planning a March Break trip from Ontario to Mexico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sonso45 wrote:
Crossing the border with a car takes time and money. Get insurance. Stay on toll roads as much as possible. Do not drive at night.
The current recommendation from the US State Department is to not drive in northern Mexico.

sonso45

Nov 25, 2014, 5:33 PM
Post #8 of 15 (9500 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Planning a March Break trip from Ontario to Mexico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They're Canadian. The US State Dept warnings don't apply to them. LOL.

It isn't safe. But don't drive in Chicago, Los Angeles, and many other cities. You may get shot.

Driving in Mexico is a choice. So is climbing. Read the warnings and weigh the risks.

I'm usually on the drive on down crowd, thanks for the balance Marc

ChalkIsCheap

Nov 27, 2014, 8:02 PM
Post #9 of 15 (9384 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Planning a March Break trip from Ontario to Mexico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
How many hours does it take to drive down to EPC? I've done a two week trip out to Devils Tower from Ontario before. It's a solid 24hours, and that was pretty much my limit.
I just did a two week trip out to Grand Teton, Lander, Ten Sleep and Devils Tower. it was 30 hours to Teton and back and even with that amount of stops and a few down days before and after Teton we still got a lot of climbing in. This trip is equal to the amount of total driving and amount of stops just instead of a 30 hour straight shot it will be broken into 8 hour driving days.

Thanks dagibbs for the suggestions, I will look into those. Is Mexico really that bad?

dagibbs

Nov 28, 2014, 7:35 PM
Post #10 of 15 (9314 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ChalkIsCheap wrote:
Is Mexico really that bad?

The area around EPC is generally quiet. In other areas, for driving purposes it is generally recommend to stay on the major (toll) highways, rather than head off them. Also, Mexico law mandates have Mexico-issued insurance. My understanding is that this can be purchased at the border crossing. There may, also, be a non-import bond on the car -- you'd have to check on this.

Otherwise, as I understand things, the section closest to the US border is the riskiest. On the US side, there's a lot of police road-blocks, document queries, and harassment within about 100-200 miles of the border. On the Mexico side, this is also where there are more problems from gangs, trafficing, etc. But, once again, on the Mexico side the toll highways are far better patrolled and still generally safe.

dynosore

Nov 28, 2014, 8:13 PM
Post #11 of 15 (9304 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You really need to do some homework before driving down there. You clearly dont understand thr gravity of the situation.

potreroed

Nov 29, 2014, 1:44 PM
Post #12 of 15 (9239 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Driving to Mexico is no big deal. Be sure to bring your vehicle title and permission from any lien holder.

It is much cheaper to buy insurance online than at the border.

Go to http://mexpro.com They can also help you get your vehicle permit ahead of time so you don't have to deal with it at the border.

Don't drive at night and stay on the toll roads.

marc801

Nov 30, 2014, 5:13 PM
Post #13 of 15 (9185 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Planning a March Break trip from Ontario to Mexico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore wrote:
You really need to do some homework before driving down there. You clearly dont understand thr gravity of the situation.

Just like in climbing, you need to do your own risk assessment and decide your comfort level. Don't base it on one person on the net telling you what you'd like to hear. BTW, the Mexican nationals that work at my wife's company say in no uncertain terms: don't drive in northern Mexico. Period.

Here's an excerpt from http://travel.state.gov/...-travel-warning.html:
In reply to:

Gun battles between rival TCOs or with Mexican authorities have taken place in towns and cities in many parts of Mexico, especially in the border region. Gun battles have occurred in broad daylight on streets and in other public venues, such as restaurants and clubs. During some of these incidents, U.S. citizens have been trapped and temporarily prevented from leaving the area. TCOs use stolen cars and trucks to create roadblocks on major thoroughfares, preventing the military and police from responding to criminal activity. The location and timing of future armed engagements is unpredictable. We recommend that you defer travel to the areas indicated in this Travel Warning and to exercise extreme caution when traveling throughout the northern border region.

The rising number of kidnappings and disappearances throughout Mexico is of particular concern. Both local and expatriate communities have been victimized. In addition, local police have been implicated in some of these incidents. We strongly advise you to lower your profile and avoid displaying any evidence of wealth that might draw attention.

Carjacking and highway robbery are serious problems in many parts of the border region and U.S. citizens have been murdered in such incidents. Most victims who complied with carjackers at these checkpoints have reported that they were not physically harmed. Incidents have occurred during the day and at night, and carjackers have used a variety of techniques, including bumping/moving vehicles to force them to stop and running vehicles off the road at high speeds. There are some indications that criminals have particularly targeted newer and larger vehicles, especially dark-colored SUVs. However, victims driving a variety of vehicles, from late model SUVs to old sedans have also been targeted. While violent incidents have occurred at all hours of the day and night on both modern toll ("cuotas") highways and on secondary roads, they have occurred most frequently at night and on isolated roads. To reduce risk, we strongly urge you to travel between cities throughout Mexico only during daylight hours, to avoid isolated roads, and to use toll roads whenever possible. The Mexican government has deployed federal police and military personnel throughout the country as part of its efforts to combat the TCOs. U.S. citizens traveling on Mexican roads and highways may encounter government checkpoints, which are often staffed by military personnel or law enforcement personnel. TCOs have erected their own unauthorized checkpoints, and killed or abducted motorists who have failed to stop at them. You should cooperate at all checkpoints.

A commenter on Stack Exchange says:
In reply to:
I have a close friend whose mother lives near Monterrey and for years he drove down to visit her. He wouldn't even DREAM of doing it now, and he flies instead. It is extremely dangerous in the north, especially near the Texas border.

From an expat discussion on https://www.lonelyplanet.com/...om-us-through-mexico:

In reply to:
You do not need to drive hundreds of miles out of your way to cross. I am not interested in rekindling a discussion about safety but I strongly recommend one of two routes:

Cross at Laredo/Nuevo Laredo--- Autopista to Monterrey---Ring road (periferico) around north of Monterrey---Highway 40D to Saltillo----Hwy 57 south from Saltillo.

Cross at Eagle Pass/Piedras----Hwy 57 south.

Do not cross downriver from Laredo (ie. McAllen/Brownsville) and do not drive through central Tamaulipas to Ciudad Victoria and points south. Do not cross at Columbia which is between Laredo and Eagle Pass.

For reference, I live in Nuevo Laredo and travel in Tamaulipas, Coahuila and Nuevo Leon regularly. Ex-pat residents of the interior are not necessarily knowledgable about conditons in the northeastern border states from what I read here and on ex-pat boards.

In reply to:
A very volatile situation has been developing in Reynosa/Matamoros over the past couple of months and it erupted last Sunday night. Safe isn't a real precise term, but Nuevo Laredo and Piedras Negras don't have public violence anywhere on the scale of what is happening in the lower Rio Grande Valley area of Tamaulipas.

Since no one thinking clearly would enter Mexico at the crossings between Anzalduas/Mission and Laredo, that doesn't leave many options east of El Paso.

(This post was edited by marc801 on Nov 30, 2014, 5:35 PM)

skelldify

Dec 1, 2014, 11:28 PM
Post #14 of 15 (9061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went to El Potrero Chico three years ago. The climbing was great, and I've been wanting to go back ever since. However, I've decided now is not the time. The rock will still be there in a few years, and hopefully things will cool down. There are a TON of great places to climb without taking the risk of traveling there.

ChalkIsCheap

Jan 30, 2015, 5:00 PM
Post #15 of 15 (8179 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skelldify] Planning a March Break trip from Ontario to Mexico [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So, since my wife read into more of the documented happenings in Mexico and we talked to someone who was there the night the Hildago band was abducted we are no longer going into mexico on this trip. Smart.

However we are still looking for an extra location or two in the general area around Arkansas that is worth while visiting. on the tail end of our journey we plan on hopefully going to New Orleans and heading north through Tennesse. Any suggestions for good camping and climbing would be appreciated.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook