Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Montserrat Access/Lodging logistics
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

FloridaDan

Dec 21, 2014, 6:18 PM
Post #1 of 5 (3700 views)
Shortcut

Montserrat Access/Lodging logistics  (Europe: Spain: Catalunya: Montserrat)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am heading to Barcelona next week, and one of my major goals of the trip is to spend a couple of days in Montserrat climbing.

I wanted to see if anyone had advice on where to stay for overnight trips. I've heard there are climber huts, any info on what exactly these are (pavilion style huts, rustic cabin, staffed hostel, etc?), and how easy it is to find them?

Also, will I need a car to access the routes, or are they all within walking distance from the monastery?

Any info about this area would help a bunch!

(This post was edited by FloridaDan on Dec 21, 2014, 6:19 PM)

sonso45

Dec 22, 2014, 2:39 PM
Post #2 of 5 (3591 views)
Shortcut

Re: [FloridaDan] Montserrat Access/Lodging logistics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Dan, there are refugios in the mountain and I am sure you could walk to some climbs from the refugio. But I didn't I drove to the refugio on the north side of Monserrat (Santa Cecilia): http://www.refugiosonline.com/...;PARAM_v_idportal=14

I have generally driven to the southern or northern routes, depending on the time of year. It may be perfect either side currently.

(This post was edited by sonso45 on Dec 22, 2014, 2:39 PM)

csproul

Dec 23, 2014, 9:17 PM
Post #3 of 5 (3463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't know about lodging since we just made a couple day trips from Barcelona, but I found plenty to do within walking distance of the monastery.

jedhands

Dec 28, 2014, 3:34 AM
Post #4 of 5 (3350 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I took the train and bus from Barcelona, and stayed at a hotel at the monastery itself. There was a wall of that sweet conglomerate right outside the room's window - a view only a climber would appreciate.

The refugio closest to the monastery had an attendant who was, naturally, a super strong climber. Not sure of the status now, but the refugio was rustic then. Reminded me of a small AT hut. I was happy to pay for the hotel room for one night. A little extra comfort balanced the short difference in hiking to climbs.

Such a gorgeous mountain!!

FloridaDan

Jan 10, 2015, 12:52 PM
Post #5 of 5 (3210 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jedhands] Montserrat Access/Lodging logistics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the advice!
We ended up going by train&funicular (mountain train) to Montserrat, for around 18 Euro each, roundtrip.
The monastery hotel was going to be around 90 euro nightly, or 45 euro nightly for an apartment (only available if staying for two+ nights).
We opted to explore a bit in search of the climber refuge, and found that the Refuge of St. Benet was just a 25 minute hike up from the left side of the Monastery (mostly hiking up stairs), and shelter there was available for 5 euro nightly, per person.

The refuge is attended by two climber/staff members, has a wood furnace for heat at night, padded bedding for under the sleeping bag, and topos of the surrounding rocks. It's literally right under some of the better climbs, is very primitive, but comfortable and friendly.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook