RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

granite_grrl

Jan 21, 2015, 1:17 PM
Post #1 of 5 (5233 views)
Shortcut

womens climbing days
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Last weekend I organized a woman's ice climbing day at a local waterfall. This is an event that is help most weekends through the winter through our climbing club, I just made it women specific to try to encourage women to get out and try out ice climbing.

I had a couple of guys I know contact me and ask if they could come by and get a few laps in. They had commitments in the afternoon and didn't really have time to get out otherwise. I didn't see a problem with that and told them to come on by.

At the event there were some ladies who were surprised that these guys showed up expecting to climb. Was this something inappropriate? Would it make a difference to you if you showed up at the crag for a women's day and found a couple of guys hanging out with you?

lena_chita

Jan 21, 2015, 5:13 PM
Post #2 of 5 (5210 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] womens climbing days [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It wouldn't bother me at all, but I am not the person who seeks out women-specific clinics, classes, or events.

There is a sub-group of women who, for whatever reason, feel uncomfortable doing certain things in front of men (trying hard, working out, making an attempt at something and failing, appearing stupid, ignorant or silly, etc. etc.. ) For them the all-female environment makes a difference between willing to attempt an activity, and being completely unwilling to participate. For others it is less extreme, but still-present feeling. I can see where they might be taken aback if they were expecting an all-female group, and found some guys included.

I think it is sad and pathetic, but... there wouldn't be need or demand for female-only activities if these attitudes weren't somewhat wide-spread, in various degrees.

And really, for most women who are just somewhat-shy about these things, participating in female-only class is a starting point, a little extra booster that they need. Once they feel more confident, they are O.K. with mixed groups.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 21, 2015, 9:14 PM
Post #3 of 5 (5188 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] womens climbing days [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with Lena. I too am not one to search women-specific events, but I have volunteered in a few. There are definitely women who expect "all-woman" when it says that is the case. Reasons can vary.

I think that next time, I would tell the guys you are sorry, but this is "just the girls." Of course, if the session in INSTEAD of the regular all-inclusive one that they would usually attend, that ain't quite right. I think a female only event should be designed as such an entity from the start.

granite_grrl

Jan 21, 2015, 9:29 PM
Post #4 of 5 (5183 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] womens climbing days [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
I think that next time, I would tell the guys you are sorry, but this is "just the girls." Of course, if the session in INSTEAD of the regular all-inclusive one that they would usually attend, that ain't quite right. I think a female only event should be designed as such an entity from the start.

It was the fact that this was an "instead" circumstance that I felt it wasn't really a problem for these guys to coe for a few hours. This wasn't an instructural day, rather just a chance to climb on a bunch of fixed ropes. Obviously I eould help and instruct, but it wasn't structured that way.

I would like to put together another women's ice day, as this one actually ended up being a bust (sudden warm up and high flow of water started over the falls making it potentially dangerous so I called it off).

Partner macherry

Jan 22, 2015, 4:50 PM
Post #5 of 5 (5100 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] womens climbing days [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i teach women's only ski improvement sessions. my feedback is that women prefer these groups because the feel less intimidation and find the women's only environment more encouraging and motivating. I don't think it's pathetic, most of these women have skied with men who charge hard and have left them behind in the dust (or powder). They want a safe place to learn, express their fears and make mistakes without judgment.

It's different when you come to a sport with experience. I have no problem doing any activity in a coed group, but i have seen the dynamics of the group change within a mixed group or women's only group.

i wouldn't have invited the guys to climb. if women sign up for a women's only activity, it should stay that way

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook