Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Enough gear for Jtree top roping
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

 


nickrp


Feb 4, 2015, 5:25 PM
Post #1 of 6 (4178 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 18, 2006
Posts: 129

Enough gear for Jtree top roping  (North_America: United_States: California: Joshua_Tree_National_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all!
So we are heading out to Joshua tree in a few weeks and I want to see if my current "rack" if you could call it that would work out there. Mainly looking to do some lower grade top ropes (5.5-5.8) or maybe some really low grade leads then set up a anchor up top for the other three climbers. I have climbed jtree 2-3 times but have only lead toe jam and that was with a borrowed rack. Again most of what we are looking for is top roping stuff. Let me know your opinions on my setup and if anything is missing that would be so crucial there that without it we would have a real tough time. Thanks in advance!!!
I currently have the below:
The basics (harness, Atc etc...).
9 locking biners
11 reg biners
8 quick draws
7 24" slings
Bd nuts 4-13
Bd hexes 7-11
Bd c4 cams 1-2
100 ft webbing
60m dynamic rope.
200 ft rap rope (canyoneering rope)
200 ft retreaval rope
"Sneaky peat" (webbing sling used to repel then you can retreave it from ground, again for canyoneering)


kennoyce


Feb 5, 2015, 5:37 AM
Post #2 of 6 (4113 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2001
Posts: 1338

Re: [nickrp] Enough gear for Jtree top roping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

nickrp wrote:
Hi all!
So we are heading out to Joshua tree in a few weeks and I want to see if my current "rack" if you could call it that would work out there. Mainly looking to do some lower grade top ropes (5.5-5.8) or maybe some really low grade leads then set up a anchor up top for the other three climbers. I have climbed jtree 2-3 times but have only lead toe jam and that was with a borrowed rack. Again most of what we are looking for is top roping stuff. Let me know your opinions on my setup and if anything is missing that would be so crucial there that without it we would have a real tough time. Thanks in advance!!!
I currently have the below:
The basics (harness, Atc etc...).
9 locking biners
11 reg biners
8 quick draws
7 24" slings
Bd nuts 4-13
Bd hexes 7-11
Bd c4 cams 1-2
100 ft webbing
60m dynamic rope.
200 ft rap rope (canyoneering rope)
200 ft retreaval rope
"Sneaky peat" (webbing sling used to repel then you can retreave it from ground, again for canyoneering)

I'd say the main thing you are missing is larger cams. A lot of the cracks for building anchors in on the tops of formations in J-tree tend to be quite wide. I'd suggest picking up at least 1 #3 and 1 #4 C4. I'm sure you can find things to do with your current rack, but having those two cams would open up a lot of other options. Have fun.


nickrp


Feb 5, 2015, 6:29 AM
Post #3 of 6 (4103 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 18, 2006
Posts: 129

Re: [kennoyce] Enough gear for Jtree top roping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thanks! Ill see if i can swing those before the trip!

kennoyce wrote:
nickrp wrote:
Hi all!
So we are heading out to Joshua tree in a few weeks and I want to see if my current "rack" if you could call it that would work out there. Mainly looking to do some lower grade top ropes (5.5-5.8) or maybe some really low grade leads then set up a anchor up top for the other three climbers. I have climbed jtree 2-3 times but have only lead toe jam and that was with a borrowed rack. Again most of what we are looking for is top roping stuff. Let me know your opinions on my setup and if anything is missing that would be so crucial there that without it we would have a real tough time. Thanks in advance!!!
I currently have the below:
The basics (harness, Atc etc...).
9 locking biners
11 reg biners
8 quick draws
7 24" slings
Bd nuts 4-13
Bd hexes 7-11
Bd c4 cams 1-2
100 ft webbing
60m dynamic rope.
200 ft rap rope (canyoneering rope)
200 ft retreaval rope
"Sneaky peat" (webbing sling used to repel then you can retreave it from ground, again for canyoneering)

I'd say the main thing you are missing is larger cams. A lot of the cracks for building anchors in on the tops of formations in J-tree tend to be quite wide. I'd suggest picking up at least 1 #3 and 1 #4 C4. I'm sure you can find things to do with your current rack, but having those two cams would open up a lot of other options. Have fun.


nickrp


Feb 5, 2015, 6:50 AM
Post #4 of 6 (4100 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 18, 2006
Posts: 129

Re: [nickrp] Enough gear for Jtree top roping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Question though, why wouldn't some of my bigger hex's suffice? I get Cams have more range of versatility but wouldnt my bigger hexes work for a lot of what a 3 and 4 cam would cover?


Partner epoch
Moderator

Feb 5, 2015, 7:38 AM
Post #5 of 6 (4092 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 27, 2005
Posts: 32163

Re: [nickrp] Enough gear for Jtree top roping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

nickrp wrote:
Question though, why wouldn't some of my bigger hex's suffice? I get Cams have more range of versatility but wouldnt my bigger hexes work for a lot of what a 3 and 4 cam would cover?

Based on the previous comment and from just climbing....

You really would benefit from having pro up to 4". Whether it is passive or active is slightly irrelevant. IF you have hexes or tricams of that size and know how to use them; go for it. I've really never *needed* anything greater than a 3" cam (BD or otherwise) for anchor pro out there. Especially if you have 100' of webbing and 200' of static. It'd be interesting to see what you would rig with all of that. Keep it simple, keep it redundant, keep it safe.


kennoyce


Feb 5, 2015, 9:24 AM
Post #6 of 6 (4067 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 6, 2001
Posts: 1338

Re: [nickrp] Enough gear for Jtree top roping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

nickrp wrote:
Question though, why wouldn't some of my bigger hex's suffice? I get Cams have more range of versatility but wouldnt my bigger hexes work for a lot of what a 3 and 4 cam would cover?

They may suffice in some cases, The main problem with hexes is that you need a constriction or at the very least a parrellel crack of exactly the right size. I can think of numberous anchors I have built on the tops of J-Tree formations where the cracks end up being outwardly flaring and the direction of pull from the anchor is outward, which means there is no way to place a hex and have it work for the direction of pull. You could probably get by with just a 1, 2, and 3, but I really like having a 4 as well when I'm there.


Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook