RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

BartHumphries

Feb 28, 2015, 11:01 PM
Post #1 of 2 (6892 views)
Shortcut

Climbing wall without bolt, indoor protection training
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was looking at this amazing artificial wall that had what looked like a great crack, etc., and while it provides a great opportunity to practice grabbing and climbing with the crack with hands/foot, it doesn't offer the opportunity to teach and practice placing protection, since it's only made from fiberglass. Are there manufacturers who pour/shape concrete walls in this style? Are there images shown online? Maybe something made with really good cement like Portland cement or some other shaped structure?

(This post was edited by BartHumphries on Feb 28, 2015, 11:37 PM)

dagibbs

Mar 2, 2015, 4:24 PM
Post #2 of 2 (6708 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BartHumphries] Climbing wall without bolt, indoor protection training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have seen such walls with metal-reinforced sections for placing gear. The metal (probably steel) has a tread-pattern on it, like you sometimes see on steps or flooring, to give the gear something to grip.

Problem is, a lot of the art of placing gear is learning how to deal with imperfect rock, lots of choices, and figuring out the best such choice. On a crafted wall, there are likely to be a few, built, obvious choices -- which are designed to be safe -- and only those. So, not a good place to teach/learn gear placement. That should always be done on real rock.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook