RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

oz120

Aug 24, 2011, 4:45 AM
Post #1 of 17 (19994 views)
Shortcut

Mountain Tool California roll
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://www.mountaintools.com/cat/mt/necess/mt_caroll.htm

So what does everyone think of this I found it a year or so ago but have recently found my starting trade rack and of gear had been stolen from my storage unit. I was wondering what you gear heads think about this. I understand that alot of it will not be used but I could trade what I don't use for more of what I do use, or I could save it for anything I plan to take on in the future. I understand also that i need to replace other gear that was missing that is either not included in this or that needs to be added because there is not enough included like some of the stoppers and the tricams. Any input on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks you,
Jordan

billcoe_

Aug 26, 2011, 4:00 AM
Post #2 of 17 (19905 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oz120] Mountain Tool California roll [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oz120 wrote:
http://www.mountaintools.com/cat/mt/necess/mt_caroll.htm

So what does everyone think of this I found it a year or so ago but have recently found my starting trade rack and of gear had been stolen from my storage unit. I was wondering what you gear heads think about this. I understand that alot of it will not be used but I could trade what I don't use for more of what I do use, or I could save it for anything I plan to take on in the future. I understand also that i need to replace other gear that was missing that is either not included in this or that needs to be added because there is not enough included like some of the stoppers and the tricams. Any input on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks you,
Jordan

I think I got it.

What was the question again?

oz120

Aug 26, 2011, 4:04 AM
Post #3 of 17 (19899 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Mountain Tool California roll [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is it worth consideration for purchase or is the to many things that will never be used?

moose_droppings

Aug 26, 2011, 4:57 AM
Post #4 of 17 (19882 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you looked around and caught the sales at different places you could save a lot more than their proposed savings of $339.00 off Mountain tools listed price of the different items. You could also be a little more personalized about what you need and get.

gunkiemike

Aug 26, 2011, 1:15 PM
Post #5 of 17 (19835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oz120 wrote:
Is it worth consideration for purchase or is the to many things that will never be used?

First off, if you order that rack package, I think they'll ask you what you want in it. You DID read the part about customizing the contents to the customer's specifications, right? And it sounds like you don't know what you want/need, so that'd be a problem right there.

Secondly, their suggested package is basically double nuts and double cams. I wouldn't suggest you spend nearly $2K that way; not for someone just starting out.

Talk to folks in your area to see what comprises a rack for the type of climbing you expect to be doing. Play with your partners' racks and then decide what to buy.

Last point on the rack package...one BigBro?????

socalclimber

Aug 26, 2011, 3:31 PM
Post #6 of 17 (19797 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] Mountain Tool California roll [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gunkiemike wrote:
oz120 wrote:

First off, if you order that rack package, I think they'll ask you what you want in it. You DID read the part about customizing the contents to the customer's specifications, right? And it sounds like you don't know what you want/need, so that'd be a problem right there.

Secondly, their suggested package is basically double nuts and double cams. I wouldn't suggest you spend nearly $2K that way; not for someone just starting out.

Talk to folks in your area to see what comprises a rack for the type of climbing you expect to be doing. Play with your partners' racks and then decide what to buy.

What Gunkie sez...

Very sound advice.

DougMartin

Aug 27, 2011, 3:24 AM
Post #7 of 17 (19754 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Your form PA right! Somerset area if I read your profile right? Seneca in WV and the Gunk's in NY are the biggest areas that would require you to have a full rack of trad gear! Here is what the guides at Seneca say is required to handle just about anything on the east coast.

http://climbseneca.com/srcs_site/information/needgear.html

They call it the Whole Enchilada package!

Stopper Set 5-11

$ 62.50

1 set

TriCams .5-1.5

$ 75.00

1 set

Metolius Master Cams #1-#4

$241.29

1 set

Camalots #0.5-#3

$340.99

12 24" slings

$ 59.40

12 BD Quicksilvers

$ 90.00

12 BD Hotwires

$102.00

48" Double Runner

$ 6.95

20' 7mm Cordellette

$ 9.80

10 Quicksilvers (for Racking Gear)

$ 75.00

2 rocklocks

$ 23.00

All for about a grand! Lot's cheaper than that other place. And if you talk to Massey nice enough he might throw in a shirt! He gave me a few free stickers last time I bought a new Nalgene so a new trad rack might rate a shirt!! If that is what ya need to make the deal happen!

Feel free to Pm me if you want to chat about climbing! Heck we are close enough geographically to possibly climb together! I climb in southwestern PA all the time! Was just at Cole's Cove a week ago and hit up Coopers Rock in WV this week (all within two hours of you I think)!! That is if a 200lb, 43 year old guy that can only climb 5.10 is not to slow or weak for you!

PS I have a full trad rack that would love and needs to get scratched up!

oz120

Mar 17, 2015, 6:27 AM
Post #8 of 17 (17349 views)
Shortcut

Re: [DougMartin] Mountain Tool California roll [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

DougMartin wrote:
Your form PA right! Somerset area if I read your profile right? Seneca in WV and the Gunk's in NY are the biggest areas that would require you to have a full rack of trad gear! Here is what the guides at Seneca say is required to handle just about anything on the east coast.

http://climbseneca.com/srcs_site/information/needgear.html

They call it the Whole Enchilada package!

Stopper Set 5-11

$ 62.50

1 set

TriCams .5-1.5

$ 75.00

1 set

Metolius Master Cams #1-#4

$241.29

1 set

Camalots #0.5-#3

$340.99

12 24" slings

$ 59.40

12 BD Quicksilvers

$ 90.00

12 BD Hotwires

$102.00

48" Double Runner

$ 6.95

20' 7mm Cordellette

$ 9.80

10 Quicksilvers (for Racking Gear)

$ 75.00

2 rocklocks

$ 23.00

All for about a grand! Lot's cheaper than that other place. And if you talk to Massey nice enough he might throw in a shirt! He gave me a few free stickers last time I bought a new Nalgene so a new trad rack might rate a shirt!! If that is what ya need to make the deal happen!

Feel free to Pm me if you want to chat about climbing! Heck we are close enough geographically to possibly climb together! I climb in southwestern PA all the time! Was just at Cole's Cove a week ago and hit up Coopers Rock in WV this week (all within two hours of you I think)!! That is if a 200lb, 43 year old guy that can only climb 5.10 is not to slow or weak for you!

PS I have a full trad rack that would love and needs to get scratched up!

Thanks very much for the advice. I would like to say I'm sorry for bringing back a dead thread but I figured since I disappeared for 4 years I could at least stop in and say thanks.

6pacfershur

Mar 18, 2015, 2:57 AM
Post #9 of 17 (17268 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oz120 wrote:
.....Thanks very much for the advice. I would like to say I'm sorry for bringing back a dead thread but I figured since I disappeared for 4 years I could at least stop in and say thanks.

never mind the pleasantries, what did you buy!? (and welcome back)

oz120

Mar 18, 2015, 4:13 AM
Post #10 of 17 (17260 views)
Shortcut

Re: [6pacfershur] Mountain Tool California roll [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

6pacfershur wrote:
oz120 wrote:
.....Thanks very much for the advice. I would like to say I'm sorry for bringing back a dead thread but I figured since I disappeared for 4 years I could at least stop in and say thanks.

Ended up not buying anything had to step away from climbing for a bit (had a son) but now I'm looking to start top roping again once I lose a bit of weight.

Then I will be looking at the whole enchilada kit.

sungam

Mar 18, 2015, 1:54 PM
Post #11 of 17 (17219 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] Mountain Tool California roll [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gunkiemike wrote:
For the 95% of people who really want to climb offwidths until they climb their first 15' of offwidths, of course!

Yes, I know, dates, zombies, etc. BUT I TAKE WHAT I GET SOMETIMES, OKAY?

sungam

Mar 18, 2015, 1:56 PM
Post #12 of 17 (17218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oz120 wrote:
6pacfershur wrote:
oz120 wrote:

Ended up not buying anything had to step away from climbing for a bit (had a son) but now I'm looking to start top roping again once I lose a bit of weight.

NO ENCHILADAS TILL THE WHOLE ENCHALADA, BABY.

GET LIGHT, GET STRONG, GET BENDY THEN GET FUKKIN SENDY. I BELIEV IN YOU, BUT ONLY IF YOU BELIEVE IN YOU.

oz120

Mar 18, 2015, 8:39 PM
Post #13 of 17 (17173 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Mountain Tool California roll [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
oz120 wrote:
6pacfershur wrote:
oz120 wrote:

NO ENCHILADAS TILL THE WHOLE ENCHALADA, BABY.

GET LIGHT, GET STRONG, GET BENDY THEN GET FUKKIN SENDY. I BELIEV IN YOU, BUT ONLY IF YOU BELIEVE IN YOU.

That's the plan at this time! Cant wait for warmer weather hate hiking and working out outside in snow.

billcoe_

Mar 27, 2015, 4:24 PM
Post #14 of 17 (16900 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'D LIKE TO APOLOGIZE FOR MY LAME RESPONSE 4 YEARS AGO.

I WILL CHECK BACK IN 4 MORE YEARS AND APOLOGIZE FOR THIS ONE AS WELL. WELCOME BACK!

I'LL BE OVER AT SUNGUMS HOUSE AT THE ENCHILADA FEED IF YOU NEED ME.

(This post was edited by billcoe_ on Apr 8, 2015, 9:52 PM)

oz120

Apr 5, 2015, 5:28 PM
Post #15 of 17 (16648 views)
Shortcut

Re: [6pacfershur] Mountain Tool California roll [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

6pacfershur wrote:
oz120 wrote:

Picked up #.3-3 C4 Camalots, Neutrine Rackpack, #5-11 BD stoppers, 12 Alpine draws made with 60cm BD Dynex Sewn Runners and BD HotWire beners, 3 BD Rocklockers, 2 Positrons, a Nut tool, 50'x7mm accessory cord(for anchors), Grigri 2, Reverso 4(incase the Grigri craps out or I drop it), 2 120cm Dynex Sewn Runners, Mambo standard 10.1mmx60m rope, Half Dome Helmet, Mammut Ophir 3 Slide Harness, Metolius Multi Loop Gear Sling all for right around $1k(hell of a deal if you ask me.)

Sorry about kicking a dead horse agian.

Jordan

sungam

Apr 5, 2015, 6:01 PM
Post #16 of 17 (16642 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Mountain Tool California roll [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
I'D LIKE TO APOLOGIZE FOR MY LAME RESPONSE 4 YEARS AGO.

I TILL CHECK BACK IN 4 MORE YEARS AND APOLOGIZE FOR THIS ONE AS WELL. WELCOME BACK!

I'LL BE OVER AT SUNGUMS HOUSE AT THE ENCHILADA FEED IF YOU NEED ME.
Well my girlfriend is out of town for another 3 nights so I have the place to myself *tee hee*.

billcoe_

Apr 8, 2015, 9:54 PM
Post #17 of 17 (16469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oz120 wrote:
Picked up #.3-3 C4 Camalots, Neutrine Rackpack, #5-11 BD stoppers, 12 Alpine draws made with 60cm BD Dynex Sewn Runners and BD HotWire beners, 3 BD Rocklockers, 2 Positrons, a Nut tool, 50'x7mm accessory cord(for anchors), Grigri 2, Reverso 4(incase the Grigri craps out or I drop it), 2 120cm Dynex Sewn Runners, Mambo standard 10.1mmx60m rope, Half Dome Helmet, Mammut Ophir 3 Slide Harness, Metolius Multi Loop Gear Sling all for right around $1k(hell of a deal if you ask me.)

Thats a nice start, welcome back.

oz120 wrote:
Sorry about kicking a dead horse agian. Jordan

Bring the dead horse over to Sungums and we'll all have tacos.....jus' sayin'.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook