Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Stolen fixed draws in Bat Cave West Hills
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

alomas

Mar 27, 2015, 9:00 PM
Post #1 of 5 (2657 views)
Shortcut

Stolen fixed draws in Bat Cave West Hills  (North_America: United_States: California: Los_Angeles_County: Bat_Cave__The: Euro_Wall)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Someone has taken the time to climb the routes with a wrench and unscrew and remove the fixed draws I put up last year. Last we saw them up there was March 1st. 3 draws on the 5.11a and 4 draws on European Vacation. The intention was to fix draws on all the climbs. If you hear of anyone that might have taken them please let them know those were not accidentally left behind but intended to make climbing at the cave easier for all. That's why they were screwed in tightly. I would like them returned to me, or just put them back on the wall.
I get the naivety of expecting people to be good to one another or the local crag, but it doesn't help the reputation of climbers when we go up and remove gear that someone obviously took the time, effort, and money to put up for all to use. They're fixed draws on quick links, Camp Steel carabiners, and Petzl Spirit webbing. I would have put cheaper stuff up there, but I climb in the cave pretty regularly and like to have good gear on the wall.

marc801

Apr 3, 2015, 5:00 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2336 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alomas] Stolen fixed draws in Bat Cave West Hills [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

alomas wrote:
Someone has taken the time to climb the routes with a wrench and unscrew and remove the fixed draws I put up last year. Last we saw them up there was March 1st. 3 draws on the 5.11a and 4 draws on European Vacation. The intention was to fix draws on all the climbs. If you hear of anyone that might have taken them please let them know those were not accidentally left behind but intended to make climbing at the cave easier for all. That's why they were screwed in tightly. I would like them returned to me, or just put them back on the wall.
I get the naivety of expecting people to be good to one another or the local crag, but it doesn't help the reputation of climbers when we go up and remove gear that someone obviously took the time, effort, and money to put up for all to use. They're fixed draws on quick links, Camp Steel carabiners, and Petzl Spirit webbing. I would have put cheaper stuff up there, but I climb in the cave pretty regularly and like to have good gear on the wall.
Sounds like someone might be making a statement or expressing their displeasure. There have been major pissing contests elsewhere about fixed draws.

For example: http://www.rockclimbing.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Edit: added url

(This post was edited by marc801 on Apr 3, 2015, 5:05 AM)

FastEddie

Apr 3, 2015, 11:17 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2288 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Stolen fixed draws in Bat Cave West Hills [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Or could it be that the area is now closed to climbing? If you look up bat cave on this site it has an access note that the area has recently been closed due to the destruction of formations.

marc801

Apr 4, 2015, 5:40 AM
Post #4 of 5 (2271 views)
Shortcut

Re: [FastEddie] Stolen fixed draws in Bat Cave West Hills [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

FastEddie wrote:
Or could it be that the area is now closed to climbing? If you look up bat cave on this site it has an access note that the area has recently been closed due to the destruction of formations.
Why so it is.
Looks like the OP is SOL.

alomas

Apr 4, 2015, 5:56 AM
Post #5 of 5 (2266 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Stolen fixed draws in Bat Cave West Hills [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The cave is not closed. Unless you live here and climb in the Los Angeles area I wouldn't pay much attention to those 'warnings'. It's in a Los Angeles park and the are zero access issues.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook