RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

YounginAyo

Apr 30, 2015, 12:30 AM
Post #1 of 3 (5678 views)
Shortcut

DIY Sport Draws, custom quickdraws?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi Yall, I recently viewed a pretty dope sport crag and noticed some pretty fancy fixed draws on some daredevil climbs.

I couldnt happen to notice that the yocal who put them up used 9/16 or 1" tubular webbing as a dog bone on his fixed draws. It seemed to my stargazing eyes that this somebody girth hitched the clipping biner and then just a simple screw link to attach to the hanger. in the middle of this ghetto fashioned dog bone was a simple looking water not. I am wondering if this is good practice or knot?

kennoyce

Apr 30, 2015, 7:18 PM
Post #2 of 3 (5565 views)
Shortcut

Re: [YounginAyo] DIY Sport Draws, custom quickdraws? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

YounginAyo wrote:
Hi Yall, I recently viewed a pretty dope sport crag and noticed some pretty fancy fixed draws on some daredevil climbs.

I couldnt happen to notice that the yocal who put them up used 9/16 or 1" tubular webbing as a dog bone on his fixed draws. It seemed to my stargazing eyes that this somebody girth hitched the clipping biner and then just a simple screw link to attach to the hanger. in the middle of this ghetto fashioned dog bone was a simple looking water not. I am wondering if this is good practice or knot?

What do you think would be wrong with this setup? Climbers have been tying slings out of 9/16 or 1" tubular webbing with a water knot for many many years, and the standard method of attaching permadraws to bolts is with a screw link. The only thing that is at all questionable is the girth hitch, but it doesn't sound like you are even sure that that is how the biners were attached. Obviously the biggest downside to this method is the nylon slings that need to be changed regularly, but this seems pretty normal to me.

The best practice would be to use steel biners and cable draws for longevity, but as long as the gear is in good shape I see no problem with the above.

jt512

May 1, 2015, 7:03 AM
Post #3 of 3 (5497 views)
Shortcut

Re: [YounginAyo] DIY Sport Draws, custom quickdraws? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

YounginAyo wrote:

Small fish. Small pond.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook