RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

tequilaboom

Jul 8, 2015, 11:55 PM
Post #1 of 9 (12724 views)
Shortcut

Sizing Shoes for Trad Climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi folks,

I've been climbing in the Mythos, which over the years have molded perfectly to my feet (squished, but flat toes).

I'm looking to get something that will get me a bit more performance, but that I can wear while trad climbing (which for me, often involves standing on edges to place gear, and jamming in cracks).

Should I size my shoes so that my toes are flat? or should I have a slight curl in the toes? Any other shoe fit advice?

I'm only looking at flat shoes mostly (i.e. anasazi, techno x, and etc).

Thanks folks!

granite_grrl

Jul 9, 2015, 12:41 PM
Post #2 of 9 (12634 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tequilaboom] Sizing Shoes for Trad Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My toes have a slight curl in my crack climbing shoes, but I think fit for this style of climbing is very personal. It also assumes that you're not trying to specialize in either tiny finger cracks or offwidths).

Also if you're going for more performance I would consider getting Velcro shoes. A more technical shoe probably won't be as comfortable so it's nice to have something you can slip on an off at the belay.

moose_droppings

Jul 11, 2015, 1:47 AM
Post #3 of 9 (12534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally, I like a board lasted shoe with a good tight snug heel, nothing to tight in the toes, must be lace ups for me to set and remain fit. I don't need to remove mine at belays. I have weak ankles but my calfs are pretty strong from ice climbing. At the end of the day my feet aren't thrashed.

jorgegonzalez

Jul 16, 2015, 1:00 AM
Post #4 of 9 (12251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trad shoes should not hurt, they need to get you through the day, and maybe get you down too. Your mythos sound peeeerfect. I keep getting new shoes (velcro included) and go back to my 5.10s for trad everytime. Trad usually requires everything from edging to slabby friction, and you need to be able to plaster your toes against the rock when necessary.

markpaul

Aug 10, 2015, 5:46 PM
Post #5 of 9 (11555 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I would say it depends on how hard and what you're climbing. I usually climb trad in the Gunks and Mythos are fine up to 5.7. Once you start pushing through the 5.8s and into 5.10s they don't quite cut it. I use Miura lace-ups for all climbs above 5.8 and they are a tight fit, same exact number size as my Mythos. They took a while to break in but the performance is amazing.

sungam

Aug 11, 2015, 5:13 PM
Post #6 of 9 (11514 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markpaul] Sizing Shoes for Trad Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with markpaul, people who climb worse then me don't need aggressive shoes because they are scrubs and are just bumbling, but people who climb hard, like me, need sick sendmobiles for kicks.

curt

Nov 20, 2015, 3:47 AM
Post #7 of 9 (10102 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Sizing Shoes for Trad Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
I agree with markpaul, people who climb worse then me don't need aggressive shoes because they are scrubs and are just bumbling, but people who climb hard, like me, need sick sendmobiles for kicks.

Occasionally, I like to take n00bs bouldering in my approach shoes. Just cuz.Cool

Curt

Partner cracklover

Nov 20, 2015, 4:40 PM
Post #8 of 9 (10063 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Sizing Shoes for Trad Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
sungam wrote:

Occasionally, I like to take n00bs bouldering in my approach shoes. Just cuz.Cool

Curt

Woo! I bouldered hard enough that you had to put on your climbing shoes to give me a smackdown!

GO

sungam

Nov 22, 2015, 7:05 AM
Post #9 of 9 (10008 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Sizing Shoes for Trad Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
curt wrote:
sungam wrote:

Curt

Woo! I bouldered hard enough that you had to put on your climbing shoes to give me a smackdown!

GO
I can't actually remember if I did or not. I *think* I did? I hope I did.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook