Forums: Climbing Information: General:
This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Partner happiegrrrl

Dec 11, 2015, 11:27 PM
Post #151 of 238 (22659 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

You forgot something......

onceahardman

Dec 12, 2015, 12:10 AM
Post #152 of 238 (22656 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:

Just as a person isn't labeled "white trash" because they are caucasian or a "terrorist" because the are Muslin.

Are terrorists made of cheap, burlap-like fabric?

You forgot to defend your attack on people who use and enjoy corelle.

(This post was edited by onceahardman on Dec 12, 2015, 12:11 AM)

Partner happiegrrrl

Dec 12, 2015, 12:29 AM
Post #153 of 238 (22650 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It was a typo, of course.

Gmburns2000

Dec 12, 2015, 12:50 AM
Post #154 of 238 (22645 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
cracklover wrote:
iknowfear wrote:
macherry wrote:

word on the street says jeff is no longer the owner

any word on who's the new owner?

Jeff has been totally silent on the issue. Not even confirming or denying anything.

GO

Jeff "Legend-In-His-Own-Mind" Widman still has rockclimbing.com listed as one of his "projects," though he may be no more attentive to his own website than he is/was to this one.

You know, that's BET material right there. Lazy bunch of fucks.

onceahardman

Dec 12, 2015, 12:28 PM
Post #155 of 238 (22611 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
It was a typo, of course.

Of course it is. But you miss the broader point.

Be more careful in what you write.

Partner happiegrrrl

Dec 12, 2015, 2:51 PM
Post #156 of 238 (22605 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Could you explain that further, please?

Toast_in_the_Machine

Dec 12, 2015, 5:23 PM
Post #157 of 238 (22588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
You forgot to defend your attack on people who use and enjoy corelle.

Corelle can kill
http://www.stargazette.com/...orningware/24858055/

onceahardman

Dec 13, 2015, 12:18 AM
Post #158 of 238 (22557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
Could you explain that further, please?

Sure.

You made derogatory comments about trailer trash, and using corelle. Then, when someone else comments, clearly tongue in cheek, that he hopes you choke on your Thanksgiving dinner, you get all hurt and report his posts for being threatening. They were not threatening. Had he threatened to come to your house and shove a turkey leg bone sown your throat, that would have been threatening. If you want to trade insults, you need to have a thicker skin.

Be careful what you post. Think before you hit "post reply".

Partner happiegrrrl

Dec 13, 2015, 12:32 AM
Post #159 of 238 (22552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

The trailer trash/corelle comment referred to NO ONE in particular. And honestly - how derogatory is it to say traiiler trash types think Corelleware is fine china?" Really....

If there is someone who rad my post and is going to feel bad at holiday dinner because they have suddenly found out that there are higher quality dinnerware that there treasured Corelle, I apologize, and I mean that sincerely - to anyone who really felt hurt.

The remark of "hope I choke" was made specifically to me, and from a person who has "been weird" directly to me in the past. You could not know this, of course. He may well insist that it was "tongue in cheek," but the guy was thrown off Supertopo(which is pretty hard to have happen) because he was becoming like a rabid animal and threatening people.

The thing is, I told him to stop, and instead he went further. THAT was when I flagged the posts.

I am dome with this conversation.

onceahardman

Dec 13, 2015, 1:04 AM
Post #160 of 238 (22548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
The trailer trash/corelle comment referred to NO ONE in particular. And honestly - how derogatory is it to say traiiler trash types think Corelleware is fine china?" Really....

If there is someone who rad my post and is going to feel bad at holiday dinner because they have suddenly found out that there are higher quality dinnerware that there treasured Corelle, I apologize, and I mean that sincerely - to anyone who really felt hurt.

The remark of "hope I choke" was made specifically to me, and from a person who has "been weird" directly to me in the past. You could not know this, of course. He may well insist that it was "tongue in cheek," but the guy was thrown off Supertopo(which is pretty hard to have happen) because he was becoming like a rabid animal and threatening people.

The thing is, I told him to stop, and instead he went further. THAT was when I flagged the posts.

You seem very unhappie...

Toast_in_the_Machine

Dec 15, 2015, 5:07 AM
Post #161 of 238 (22405 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

markc wrote:
jt512 wrote:
cracklover wrote:
iknowfear wrote:
macherry wrote:

word on the street says jeff is no longer the owner

any word on who's the new owner?

Jeff has been totally silent on the issue. Not even confirming or denying anything.

GO

Jeff "Legend-In-His-Own-Mind" Widman still has rockclimbing.com listed as one of his "projects," though he may be no more attentive to his own website than he is/was to this one.

"I perpetually find myself with more projects than I have time."

Well, that's telling. The last big change was, "Hey, we're killing email!" Since that brought me here as much as anything I just stop in now and then. Maybe we should go back to the wreck!

I'm just here waiting for someone to get their stuff together.

theguy

Dec 16, 2015, 6:54 AM
Post #162 of 238 (22340 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:

Are those her shoes?

Toast_in_the_Machine

Dec 22, 2015, 3:31 PM
Post #163 of 238 (22027 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theguy] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

theguy wrote:
Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:

Are those her shoes?

Ederids, yes

onceahardman

Feb 19, 2016, 12:57 AM
Post #164 of 238 (21037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:

So I just visited the Corning Museum of Glass in Corning, NY. Really interesting place. They also sell some stunningly beautiful Corelle.

It might not be Royal Daulton, or whatever you consider "fine china", but it's really nice.

Partner happiegrrrl

Feb 19, 2016, 1:19 AM
Post #165 of 238 (21033 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're not considering the Art Glass pieces "Corelle," are you? The website for the museum doesn't list any dinnerware available for sale.

Just as an FYI, Corelle is made of a three-part glass laminate. It is a tempered glass, which makes it durable. Fine Chine is made of ceramic, or porcelain.

Corelle is great for what it is - an inexpensive glass that can stand up to rigorous use. It resists chipping, and you really have to try hard to break it.

But it is not fine china.

onceahardman

Feb 19, 2016, 2:16 AM
Post #166 of 238 (21029 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
You're not considering the Art Glass pieces "Corelle," are you? The website for the museum doesn't list any dinnerware available for sale.

Just as an FYI, Corelle is made of a three-part glass laminate. It is a tempered glass, which makes it durable. Fine Chine is made of ceramic, or porcelain.

Corelle is great for what it is - an inexpensive glass that can stand up to rigorous use. It resists chipping, and you really have to try hard to break it.

But it is not fine china.

you strike me as someone who thinks she is the only one in the room who knows anything.

Of course I'm not considering art glass pieces as Corelle. I was just at the museum on Sunday. I don't care what the website says. You live in New York. Go there yourself if you want to try to prove they don't sell Corelle at the huge gift shop at the museum. Then you can finally see how pretty the modern Corelle patterns are, and stop making fun of the many people who use it.

Why is "china" called "china", anyway? Ceramic/porcelain dishware was originally imported from the Orient. By the strictest definition, one could argue that Royal Daulton isn't real "china". I have (and use at Thanksgiving), a beautiful English antique set of Johnson Bros. "Pareek". I know something about this subject. But I would never make fun of someone who considers Corelle to be their best "china". I think you are pretty low for doing so.

Partner happiegrrrl

Feb 19, 2016, 3:29 PM
Post #167 of 238 (20994 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just asked a question.

I haven't yet been to the Corning Glass Museum and would like to; hot glass is an interest of mine.

It really strikes me as bizarre how a website(this one) known for making fun of others, and one where not THAT long ago anti-gay rhetoric could be found with some regularity, has people up in arms over my comment.

Yeah - I GET it - you found my comment low class. I DID apologize to anyone I offended, and it WAS a sincere apology. I am clean on that account; whether someone accepts that apology is their prerogative.

onceahardman

Feb 19, 2016, 10:40 PM
Post #168 of 238 (20972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
I just asked a question.

I haven't yet been to the Corning Glass Museum and would like to; hot glass is an interest of mine.

It really strikes me as bizarre how a website(this one) known for making fun of others, and one where not THAT long ago anti-gay rhetoric could be found with some regularity, has people up in arms over my comment.

Yeah - I GET it - you found my comment low class. I DID apologize to anyone I offended, and it WAS a sincere apology. I am clean on that account; whether someone accepts that apology is their prerogative.

Happie said:

In reply to:

Forgive me, the sincerity of your apology just burned me.

zchandran

Feb 22, 2016, 5:39 AM
Post #169 of 238 (20921 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ncrockclimber] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ncrockclimber wrote:
Jeff wrote:
billcoe_ wrote:
So Jeff, you locked the thread titled This place is DEAD! In effect, eliminating one of the few remaining active topics anyone concerned about the site can offer up advice. Not sure why, unless you were feeling insecure. Let it run. Let people have discussion.

I didn't lock that discussion, not sure who did. I have no problem with you guys grousing about a situation that I agree sucks.

Possibly one of the mods thought the thread had run its course, I don't know.

Regardless, I'm still chipping away, writing code every day on the site.

Wow. One of only two or three threads in the last month that has created ANY conversation gets locked by "someone" and you just shrug your shoulders.

I continue to be shocked with what has happened (or actually not happened) to this site since October 2013. I keep on thinking it can't get any worse, but it does.

It's probably not fair to blame Jeff for locking threads. It's the "let people have discussion" that was the problem all along. Back when I was a beginner, I posted a few questions on the Beginners forums. Most of the replies were of the tone of "OMFG WHY DO YOU NOT KNOW THIS" and "NOOB YOUR GONNA DIE". Which leads me to my simple solution for these problems:

Cull the a-holes from this site.

It's that simple. I posted the same questions as a beginner on Mountain Project, and was given judgement-free advice from the posters there. Over at MP, there were climbers genuinely concerned for my welfare, and trying to help me improve. Over here, it was wall to wall a-holes who were on some type of multi-stage ego trip. Look through the posts here for snarky guides and self-fellating trad climbers ("sport climbing is neither"), and you'll see what I mean.

Partner macherry

Feb 23, 2016, 1:13 AM
Post #170 of 238 (20877 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zchandran] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the assholes have left.

this place is a ghost town

curt

Feb 23, 2016, 3:43 AM
Post #171 of 238 (20867 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zchandran] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zchandran wrote:
ncrockclimber wrote:
Jeff wrote:
billcoe_ wrote:
So Jeff, you locked the thread titled This place is DEAD! In effect, eliminating one of the few remaining active topics anyone concerned about the site can offer up advice. Not sure why, unless you were feeling insecure. Let it run. Let people have discussion.

I didn't lock that discussion, not sure who did. I have no problem with you guys grousing about a situation that I agree sucks.

Wow. One of only two or three threads in the last month that has created ANY conversation gets locked by "someone" and you just shrug your shoulders.

I continue to be shocked with what has happened (or actually not happened) to this site since October 2013. I keep on thinking it can't get any worse, but it does.

It's probably not fair to blame Jeff for locking threads. It's the "let people have discussion" that was the problem all along. Back when I was a beginner, I posted a few questions on the Beginners forums. Most of the replies were of the tone of "OMFG WHY DO YOU NOT KNOW THIS" and "NOOB YOUR GONNA DIE". Which leads me to my simple solution for these problems:

It's that simple. I posted the same questions as a beginner on Mountain Project, and was given judgement-free advice from the posters there. Over at MP, there were climbers genuinely concerned for my welfare, and trying to help me improve. Over here, it was wall to wall a-holes who were on some type of multi-stage ego trip. Look through the posts here for snarky guides and self-fellating trad climbers ("sport climbing is neither"), and you'll see what I mean.

You're saying that you were getting the kinds of answers to your posts that you were looking for over at MP. That being the case, why don't you simply post over there exclusively instead of insisting that this site change to suit you? There is absolutely no reason why RC.com, MP, Supertopo, etc. should have identical criteria for what constitutes acceptable content. I'm sorry that you got your feelings hurt here, but this place is not actually hostile to beginning climbers--some posters here simply have a low tolerance for stupidity and/or repetitive questions.

Curt

curt

Feb 23, 2016, 3:51 AM
Post #172 of 238 (20858 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
the assholes have left...

All of them? Cool

Curt

Rokjox

Feb 23, 2016, 5:57 PM
Post #173 of 238 (20812 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh hell no.

I ran across Aaarggdam a couple months ago and was damn near about to pop a cap before he finally let go of my leg. Its more like "the walking dead" than a reality cemetary. Dead is dead in real. Uncorporation. Around here its a huige pile of mud covering/clogging the threads and a couple madmax types cowering in the ruins. Chenobyl, but there are tourists who happen by and get mugged.

But any of the dead can still be exhumed , mostly maybe. Just no reason to. Nobody has anything they want to say.

And then there is me. right now I am about the top poster and the only real visible sign of occupancy. That makes me the most visible Rat right now.

Rats are getting some use of the databases I'd wager. The Alexis for this site is actually got better stats than supertop anyway. This corpse now has more Maggots than "climber posters" ST has ever had in last 5 years as I recall.

Now back to work answering the expectations of random internet strangers.

Deer Shandy:

MP is stiff moderated towards business expectations, a site built to be a seller, a database driven product. I had perfectly NICE posts on two way radios redacted for some reason, without even a complaint or notice. ((maybe they just didn;t like Rokjox...)) I am an Extra Class Ham Radio guy, I have some insight and knowlege of the topic...Why they pull the post may have had something to do with them being all "our way or the highway".
Much difference of opinion is not tolerated.
There.

Just saying.

The guys who responded to you there probibly thought themselves all kinds of capable of safely telling you all kinds of things, how to do it all. They certify each other, validate each other, motivate and regulate and obfucate with each other. Many make a poor living off'n climbing some way.

I think some on REC CLIMBING (these "other" sites) might atually realize how we is ALL amateurs, and even when we are not, we cant really teach you how to do this stuff. DUDE! YOU DON'T LEARN CLIMBING OFF A SCREEN. All I will ever tell you is how to get yourself killed. "You are gonna die". And then sue me for posting the way to do it for you on a screen. I see you coming.

I CAN SHOW you how, I could TEACH you, I have taught many. But if you want pediantics (?)go and get "helped" where ever it is that you best can absorb the nutrition you need. This may not be the place. I know better than you, trust me on this. You don't want to listen to an internet expert about climbing. None of them. They will get you killed sure as hell. Get a trad partner, the older the better. Young climbers have the odds and the odds are odd. If you havn't done something stupid a lot, its not surprizing if you are still alive, So Far. Old climbers have a history of proven survival IN SPORT. Thats a different thing.

This is REC climbing, not IMGA climbing. Those guys are all over there, and only invade these ruins rarely. Praise Allah. Pass the salt.

Yeah, I'd rather be a maggot on this corpse than a tool for business and regulation. What you want is wrong, not what you got.

Ban expectations!

You are really Gonna Die.

Soon.

way too soon.

(This post was edited by Rokjox on Feb 23, 2016, 6:47 PM)

zchandran

Apr 4, 2016, 3:43 AM
Post #174 of 238 (20030 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] This place is dead part 2 (exclamation mark not needed) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

curt wrote:
zchandran wrote:
ncrockclimber wrote:
Jeff wrote:
billcoe_ wrote:

You're saying that you were getting the kinds of answers to your posts that you were looking for over at MP. That being the case, why don't you simply post over there exclusively instead of insisting that this site change to suit you? There is absolutely no reason why RC.com, MP, Supertopo, etc. should have identical criteria for what constitutes acceptable content. I'm sorry that you got your feelings hurt here, but this place is not actually hostile to beginning climbers--some posters here simply have a low tolerance for stupidity and/or repetitive questions.

Curt

I think "don't be a douchebag" is universal enough that multiple sites can follow it without conflict. Unless your business model is to minimize your members, in which case RC is doing a bang-up job and successfully differentiating itself from all those other forums that don't cater to the "total dick" demographic...

curt

Apr 14, 2016, 6:58 AM
Post #175 of 238 (20326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

zchandran wrote:
curt wrote:
zchandran wrote:
ncrockclimber wrote:
Jeff wrote:
billcoe_ wrote:

Curt

I think "don't be a douchebag" is universal enough that multiple sites can follow it without conflict. Unless your business model is to minimize your members, in which case RC is doing a bang-up job and successfully differentiating itself from all those other forums that don't cater to the "total dick" demographic...

Calling out stupidity, when merited, does not constitute being a douchebag. It's more of a public service.

Curt

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook