RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

ar.b

Feb 21, 2016, 6:22 PM
Post #1 of 4 (12557 views)
Shortcut

To all gym owner and/or researcher
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Have any of you heard of the "5% rule of interest" ? <-- i dunno the official name of the rules called!

I once read it somewhere about how a rock climbing gym estimate their potiential customer by taking the 5% of the total population around that area/city = people who will hear about the gym, then take 5% out = people who will feel interest to try the gym, then take another 5% out = people who will phycially come to try the gym out.

I read that many gym owner used this to estimate their potential customer before they decide where to put their new gym.

Can anyone tell me where to find more information about that? I found it at least 4 years ago on the internet. but couldn't find it now.

Or anyone have any clue about this? or how to estimate potential member in a gym?

thx

Rokjox

Feb 22, 2016, 6:14 PM
Post #2 of 4 (12427 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ar.b] To all gym owner and/or researcher [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1 in 20 to the third power?

1 in 8 thousand?

so in a town of a quarter million you can get out about 30 guys and gals who will actually ever show up and buy some membership?

If you figure that someone needs be within about 20 miles to actually want to go to a gym regularly, it looks like you need a population density somewhere between Insane and Anthill to make it work. And a city of over a half million minimum to open your doors, under that rule. Assuming you can make do with only 60 members.

What does it take to buy/rent a warehouse, cover the walls with plywood and expensive bolton holds, hang a shitload of ropes and then insure the entire building and parkinglot against idiots who are willing to die to create a lawsuit?

I got no idea how to estimate how many morons live in a given area, but if you are in Kali or Tahgoe you got a chance, the ratio of wealthy morons is wildly out of proportion to the rest of the world.

Good luck.

Maybe you can get a "GoFundMe" account. LOTS of people are looking to bury some of their money. Might as well bury it in your backyard, eh?

naitch

Feb 22, 2016, 6:30 PM
Post #3 of 4 (12425 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ar.b] To all gym owner and/or researcher [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't have answer for you but these people might be able to tell you...

http://www.climbingbusinessjournal.com/

They'd be a great resource if you're thinking about getting into the business.

Rokjox

Feb 23, 2016, 5:25 PM
Post #4 of 4 (12277 views)
Shortcut

Re: [naitch] To all gym owner and/or researcher [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good link. Marketing your climbing gyn, Perfect. Damn EVERYTHING is on the net now.

It should be clearly understood, I have no idea whatsoever how anybody manages to make a small business work in this country. I was a business major dropout.

We have incredible expectations of startups and Mom and pops. Statutory and implied standards. Willful idiots. Negligent or careless customers, slothful employees and others with enormous expectations.

Lawyers.

How can you beat all that and still sell a product while making a profit here? America has one of the highest tax rates anywhere when you add in the regs its insane.

Its gonna need a lot more than 1 in 20 to the third customer/pop. Or more fees than direct TV.

(This post was edited by Rokjox on Feb 23, 2016, 5:36 PM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook