Forums: Climbing Information: Access Issues & Closures:
**QUEEN CREEK - OAK FLAT** Last chance to save!!!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

pheenixx

Apr 7, 2016, 5:56 PM
Post #1 of 4 (20944 views)
Shortcut

**QUEEN CREEK - OAK FLAT** Last chance to save!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

On March 18, 2016, the Tonto National Forest issued a Notice of Intent to prepare an EIS (Environmental Impact Statement) for the Resolution Copper Project and Land Exchange. YOUR COMMENTS AND INPUT ARE VITAL!!!

Please take some time to evaluate the destructive actions of this Mine which will cause the LARGEST LOSS OF CLIMBING in N.America, forever!!!

Details and mail list links are all on this page as referenced: http://www.resolutionmineeis.us/

As of April 4, 2016 the Tonto Forest Supervisor has extended this Public Scoping Period for an additional 60 days. The last day to submit comments will now be July 16, 2016.

Thank you for your time and efforts toward saving this irreplaceable climbing resource!!

(This post was edited by pheenixx on Apr 7, 2016, 6:04 PM)

curt

Apr 14, 2016, 7:01 AM
Post #2 of 4 (20526 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pheenixx] **QUEEN CREEK - OAK FLAT** Last chance to save!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The deadline for comments is actually July, 18.

Curt

ronk

Apr 15, 2016, 2:31 AM
Post #3 of 4 (20443 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pheenixx] **QUEEN CREEK - OAK FLAT** Last chance to save!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As a place where I learned to climb and also taught my son and his family it is hard to see this go away. I wish we could do more, it sounds like big money is winning again in Arizona.

pheenixx

Apr 15, 2016, 3:46 AM
Post #4 of 4 (20440 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] **QUEEN CREEK - OAK FLAT** Last chance to save!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
The deadline for comments is actually July, 18. Curt
Thanks Curt- Looks like the Forest Service (FS) gave us 2 xtra days (I copied from FS) -woot! Somebody should inform AccessFund (AF) of same as there is error on their website and also on the little qcc website (I reference those who hijacked original QCC -Queen Creek Coalition group as 'little qcc').

BTW whatever happened to CCA (Concerned Climbers of AZ) who originally spoke out against the Mine & the little qcc? Why is there no info anymore on CCA website regarding saving Queen Creek or Oak Flat? (curt was former leader of CCA as well as AF designated representative for QC/OF).

The people who stole the original QCC are still acting as if they have exclusive/granted rights to meet with FS officials and ARE SUPPORTING climbing LOSS by subsidence instead of working toward supporting legislation to overturn the give-away. How can the CCA or the AF continue to NOT speak out against such an org who is still being allowed to direct "access issues" in this area? How can the AF announce action alerts and implore climbers to take their valuable time to write letters addressing NEPA while this other group discourages opposition when it engages with the FS? According to history, The AF made a deal to trade Queen Creek for a choss pile aka Tamo. If legislation against the Oak Flat giveaway passes, would the AF have to relinquish Tamo back to Resolution?

The AF stated on it's website "It is critical that we grasp this opportunity to submit comments to the USFS—before July 16th—about the loss of climbing, water and air quality issues, disregard for Native American rights, and any other potential impacts of the proposed Resolution Copper mine at Oak Flat."

Why is the focus OF EVERYONE -NOT on critical "Save Oak Flat" legislation when the FS has stated at times that this could be the only way to stop the mine? House Legislation had 41 co-sponsors: https://www.congress.gov/...bill/2811/cosponsors
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From little qcc website: February 2016

"The QCC continues to work with other recreational groups, land owners, and land managers to implement its vision of a Recreational Greenbelt in and around Superior, Arizona. Its partners include the Legends of Superior Trails, The Superior Chamber of Commerce, the International Mountain Bicycling Association, the Arizona Trail Association, the Tonto Recreation Alliance, and the East Valley Backcountry Horseman Association, in addition to Resolution Copper and the Tonto National Forest.....The analogy would be a doughnut of rock climbing crags with a hole in the middle of it. Magma Mine Road runs through the “hole” and will be lost but the crags on the outside will remain. What is needed is access to the doughnut from its perimeter rather than its middle. The Recreational Users Group is entertaining road access to the doughnut from the outside as replacement access to the rock climbing crags."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The little qcc has added a "doughnut" to the 'Kool-aid' menu.

Edit added: little qcc.com website- ALL 3 links pertaining to NEPA scoping process by Forest Service posted March 18,2016 ALL LINKS POINT TO ERRORS. No one cared to check for errors prior to public posting but then again, why should they care when they are friends of the Mine? http://theqcc.com/news/

(This post was edited by pheenixx on Apr 15, 2016, 4:24 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook