RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

Lazlo

Feb 1, 2015, 3:49 PM
Post #1 of 6 (18315 views)
Shortcut

35mm talk
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been shooting digital for a few years and have dabbled in 35mm a bit. I've started to notice as time goes on; that I'm just not as pleased with my digital photography as I am with what comes out of my film camera.

I can shoot 200 images in my DSLR, and be pleased with quite a few... but then I get my roll(s) of film back from the same trip... I'm almost always more than happy with the majority of shots. I can't quite put my finger on why exactly. It doesn't even seem to be that the shots are technically 'better'. The shots just seem more appealing.

But anyway; on to the questions.

It costs more than I really want to be spending on it. film, processing, and development. Any thoughts are welcome on how to save money.

Anyone used a film scanner? What are your thoughts? What model do you use? Do you do your own developing?

What (cheap) film do you use or prefer? Where do you purchase it?

As a note; I'm not doing professional photography. My subjects are predominantly alpine landscape and climbing.

johnx13

Feb 1, 2015, 5:11 PM
Post #2 of 6 (18297 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lazlo] 35mm talk [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Film And Digital both have there pro's and con's. I absolutely love film but when traveling sometimes its not as practical. 35mm is amazing and todays technology is just catching up the the quality of film. I shoot both. to me film is an art. I have found that when I shoot a roll of ether 24 or 36 I think about what I want to shoot and every time I shoot with my DSLR theres a lot of wasted shutter counts. Even when I shoot weddings or events.

For your questions shooting both adds up to about the same cost.

I have a darkroom and it has saved tons on developing costs. where I live its $8 for processing for B&W Plus Prints.

For a film scanner you have the best you can buy already Your DSLR. I shoot my film one slide at a time in RAW and after you have a setup it is about as fast a a scanner and about twice the quality image.

And for film B&W I shoot Fuji Acros 100 and Ilford hp5 400 and you can push process it to 1600. I use Ilford delta 400 if I'm pushing 1600 it has less grain and amazing quality.

you can do what i do if you buy some cheap darkroom equipment I buy 100ft rolls and spool it with a film loader. cuts the cost by a lot.

What Dslr do you have? and film camera?

Lazlo

Feb 2, 2015, 3:02 AM
Post #3 of 6 (18245 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnx13] 35mm talk [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnx13 wrote:
Film And Digital both have there pro's and con's. I absolutely love film but when traveling sometimes its not as practical. 35mm is amazing and todays technology is just catching up the the quality of film. I shoot both. to me film is an art. I have found that when I shoot a roll of ether 24 or 36 I think about what I want to shoot and every time I shoot with my DSLR theres a lot of wasted shutter counts. Even when I shoot weddings or events.

For your questions shooting both adds up to about the same cost.

I have a darkroom and it has saved tons on developing costs. where I live its $8 for processing for B&W Plus Prints.

For a film scanner you have the best you can buy already Your DSLR. I shoot my film one slide at a time in RAW and after you have a setup it is about as fast a a scanner and about twice the quality image.

And for film B&W I shoot Fuji Acros 100 and Ilford hp5 400 and you can push process it to 1600. I use Ilford delta 400 if I'm pushing 1600 it has less grain and amazing quality.

you can do what i do if you buy some cheap darkroom equipment I buy 100ft rolls and spool it with a film loader. cuts the cost by a lot.

What Dslr do you have? and film camera?

Thanks for the thorough reply!

I was stoked to hear I could scan with my DSLR. I immediately went on youtube and watched a few tutorials. I gave it a try; but I still have a little refining to do.

First photo is from Walgreens
Second photo is mine

I used my T3i on a tripod, aimed downward. Mounted was a prime 50 fitted with a macro ring. On the table below the camera, I had the negative sandwiched between two panes of glass, sitting atop my iphone which had a bright white background displayed (for backlight).

I'm still stoked on the idea... but it was a struggle forcing out the meager quality that I did manage. I'm thinking I need to upgrade my backlight.

My DSLR is a Canon T3i

For Film, I just picked up a Pentax K1000
I also have a Canon Elan2e
and a Ricoh kr10

The above photo was taken with the Ricoh

zakabog

Feb 27, 2015, 1:16 AM
Post #4 of 6 (17161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Film gets expensive which is what got me into digital in the first place (I was a poor high school student and I was lucky to get a nice point and shoot digital camera on my birthday.) I also had a film SLR but I would rarely ever shoot anything with it because I didn't have the money for more film or processing, I was able to take thousands of photos on my digital camera with no cost at all and that really got me into the hobby. Eventually I ended up with a Canon EOS 5D. It was my first full frame DSLR camera, and the last digital camera I've owned. I purchased a couple of L glass lenses for it (and still have them) and most of my best photos were taken with that camera.

I'd say if you can find a nice used full frame camera, go for it. The T3i has a higher pixel count, but the sensor size and quality is really what matters. In the long run it'd end up being a lot cheaper than having to purchase and develop film, plus you will miss a lot less shots that you might not have taken if you had been trying to conserve film. I still have a film camera and I'm looking at getting something that shoots medium format film, but having a camera with a high quality full frame sensor (paired with good lenses) will definitely help you get a lot more quality digital pics.

johnx13

May 5, 2015, 1:35 AM
Post #5 of 6 (16517 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry for the late response.

Great shot would like to see more work.

did you record any information on the exposure settings?
and what was film?

Most people these days do not understand why people shot film still. I am very impatient and for more me film slows me down you have to wait and on the flip side every camera has a different style and then you can change that by swiping out film.

all of my digital cameras shot the same boring way and yes you can change it by changing you white balance and so fourth but its no where as rewarding to me as film.

The K1000 is a amazing camera and great to learn on. lenses are cheap and I don't care what others say film is still cheaper in the long run.

How much did you pay for your T3i ?
what about that K1000?
In couple years that T3i will be obsolete because of this technology rampage we are on. How old is that K1000 ?

Film cameras are tanks and you know I do not mind dropping my $25 Pentax off a face and shattering it. I would did if I dropped my d750 (because of starvation of course).

another thing that bothers me is today everybody has a camera and even a DSLR. they post the Instagram pic's, but a lot of the pictures never get printed and there lost in the inter web. every print I take on film gets at least one darkroom print.

keep shooting film and if you ever need anything PM me. I have tons of gear laying around and a darkroom.

Lazlo

Sep 11, 2016, 1:06 PM
Post #6 of 6 (13674 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnx13] 35mm talk [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't been on the site in a while... Since this thread, I've jumped head-long into black and white film. Developing, scanning, and printing in the dark room.

I went through a bulk roll of Ilford Delta 400. Loved it. I think I'm going to try Ilford Fp4 next.

https://500px.com/...amp;user_id=12510055

https://www.facebook.com/...p;type=3&theater

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook