RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

pyoor

Apr 27, 2011, 6:13 PM
Post #1 of 4 (17725 views)
Shortcut

Finger Injury Causing Wrist Pain?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Recently I was working out a route with several 2 finger pockets (using my middle and ring fingers). After an hour or so on the route I noticed that putting hanging pressure on those two fingers I'd get a minor pain in the middle of my wrist. A week and a half later I can still feel a slight discomfort in that area. I'm going to stay away from holds like that for a bit until it heals but I was wondering if this was common or a cause for concern.

Thanks

cmceown

Apr 28, 2011, 5:22 AM
Post #2 of 4 (17699 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pyoor] Finger Injury Causing Wrist Pain? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a similar thing happen when pulling a gaston above my head - got a searing pain in my wrist which didn't prevent me from climbing but didn't go away after several weeks ... tried a number of things to cure it but found that the best was icing it (a lot) and giving it a good (but very gentle) stretch. It's now fine.

I am, however, not a doctor and get most of my medical advice from Dr Google so take this anecdote with a very large grain of salt. Wink

ChuteandClimb

Apr 26, 2017, 7:09 PM
Post #3 of 4 (16566 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cmceown] Finger Injury Causing Wrist Pain? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is the closest thread I can find.

I overdid it quite a bit on some very fun, but very crimpy routes. Finally just did that last route of the day where I should have just stopped.

Pain/tension is in right hand and wrist as follows:
-- Middle two fingers first joint (no biggie, this stiffness is normal. I do have a couple decades old (A2?) sheath damage on the ring finger already, just a bump now)
-- Joint where the palm and wrist come together (not normal) and:
-- the first couple inches of my forearm right in the middle (inboard of where one checks for pulse) (not normal and this where most of the pain is).

I'm resting, icing, and doing stretches of the area. I might be 'checking' the area too much (stretch and move). Will probably skip climbing tomorrrow

Any ideas?

johnwesely

Aug 10, 2021, 3:10 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1424 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ChuteandClimb] Finger Injury Causing Wrist Pain? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hanboard until you are healthy enough to climb again and then stop overdoing it when fatigued.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook