First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

dustinap
Deleted

Nov 25, 2001, 1:44 AM
Post #1 of 66 (8058 views)
Shortcut

Nalgene bottles
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What are the big deal with these bottles? They're expensive, like 7 bucks for a bottle?

Come on, doesn't K-mart sell polyurothene or whatever bottles for 2.95 for the same size?

I'll admit I own a few of these bottles because of the evil marketing propaganda behind them.

Okay.. someone told me to get one to be cool, but hey..

So, do you guys own these and put your cheap-o-rade in them? Or do you put your gatorade in K-mart ones?

mnutz

Nov 25, 2001, 1:59 AM
Post #2 of 66 (8058 views)
Shortcut

Nalgene bottles [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nalgene lexan bottles are great for extended trips when I need to pack water. They don't crush in an overstuffed pack and are practically indestructible. Plus my MSR Water Works filter screws right onto the bottle allowing me to filter directly into the bottle with no chance of contamination. They are also easy to handle in freezing conditions. 2 of these bottles is all I need for an extended backcountry trip.

For just day-trips I just use a Gatorade or Tropicana OJ jug. Lightweight and good size.

larryclimb

Nov 25, 2001, 2:16 AM
Post #3 of 66 (8058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nalgene bottles are good and sturdy, but I also use the plastic bottles Campbells soup comes in. They are about the same size and when they get moldy on the inside from lack of washing I just recycle them and get a new one.

eclarke98

Nov 25, 2001, 2:29 AM
Post #4 of 66 (8058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like them because they are just about impossible to break, and they won't crack in freezing conditions. Plus, the water filter I use when I go backpacking, screws right on to the 32oz bottles.

Partner rrrADAM

Nov 25, 2001, 2:36 AM
Post #5 of 66 (8058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm, maybe I'm just cheap... I use 1/2 gallon Gatorade bottles strung with webbing.

dustinap
Deleted

Nov 25, 2001, 2:42 AM
Post #6 of 66 (8058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do the same Adam.

I've got to say, Nalgene bottles aren't indestructable, I broke part of the lid on one, and it also is starting to come apart.

[ This Message was edited by: dustinap on 2001-11-24 18:44 ]

rck_climber

Nov 25, 2001, 2:46 AM
Post #7 of 66 (8058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well,

Mine seems to be indestructable!! I've dropped it off the top of the Kissing Camels at the Garden and it hit everything on the way down - thought it was shattered for sure.

Got down, and just scraped to all hell, but still full of water! Haven't broken it yet. Did have to replace the top one time, but they're like $1, so no biggie.

Mick

jcs

Nov 25, 2001, 3:52 AM
Post #8 of 66 (8058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Like people said- they dont break and are easy to use with filters, and for mixing, and for HOT drinks. Alos, they dont leak- great for filling with hot water and putting in your sleeping bag on those super-cold nights. For the person whose Nalgene broke- are you sure it was "real." There are lots of cheap imitations made in India and China and available all over Asia- Ive never heard of any real ones breaking (dropped mine enough to know!), or leaking. Has anyone else had a Nalgene break or leak? Hope everyone is well! Oh yeah- I think they are only $5-$6 Canadian at MEC in Vancouver (could be wrong though)- thats only, like, one US dollar- might be worth while for all you yanks to make a trip to Canada just for that!
JCS

[ This Message was edited by: jcs on 2001-11-24 19:55 ]

nikegirl

Nov 25, 2001, 4:00 AM
Post #9 of 66 (8058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Plastic tends to take on the smell/ taste of what is in it...
I can't put flavored drinks ie: coffee, or juice. Into a water bottle, with out tasting it later on...icky.
The Nalgene bottles...for whatever the make-up, doesn't do that.
I lug it around everywhere...kickboxing, yoga, climbing. Never to leak, or break. I haven't tried hot soup, or anything like that...But, snow is 'a dumpin'...I'll have to try it for snowboarding...

I also got it in a cool color, hee hee. Green! Such a girl!!!

T

jcs

Nov 25, 2001, 4:08 AM
Post #10 of 66 (8058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nikegirl- you're pretty burly! Kickboxing, yoga, and climbing- just climbing kicks the cr*p out of me...!!! And a green nalgene- fashion sense- excellent work, keep it up!
JCS

dustinap
Deleted

Nov 25, 2001, 5:13 AM
Post #11 of 66 (8058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where did you buy your replacement top? I looked at rei.com and I didn't see one.

rck_climber

Nov 25, 2001, 5:35 AM
Post #12 of 66 (8058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Got my replacement top at a local climbing store here in Colorado Springs (Mountain Chalet), but I'm sure they're sold now all over. Apparently they didn't start selling just the lids as replacements until recently - right when I needed mine.

BTW, that was a 400' drop off the kissing camels, just noticed that I didn't say that above - these things rock!!

Mick

dustinap
Deleted

Nov 25, 2001, 5:45 AM
Post #13 of 66 (8058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll check my local gear shop=]

Whoa man, a 400 foot drop and you actually found it? Those things are more durable then motorola talk abouts.

No...

Seriously, if you ever drop one of those guys less then 200 feet, go find it. Chances are the casingis cracked, but I bet it still works!

saltspringer

Nov 25, 2001, 7:42 AM
Post #14 of 66 (8058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use a 1/2 litre & 1 litre nalgene on most trips & I use a nalgene dromedary bag now too: it is compatible with the MSR filter & it takes a spigot adaptor so that you can use it hands free (great for hydrating when taking pictures hanging on rappel). I used to think that people using platypus water bags looked like they were regressing to early childhood but I now realize that they allow you to hydrate all the time...no dehydration means better climbing!

wandt

Nov 25, 2001, 10:32 AM
Post #15 of 66 (8058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Only one thing I know of (at least one thing climbers regularly deal with) might break the actual bottle part of a nalgene bottle: if you're at the top of a real mountain and you take a drink, make sure you periodically drink or at least unscrew the lid of your bottle or else by the time you're at the bottom of the mountain it will be a twisted mass of plastic. The air pressure inside the bottle is much lower than the air around it because it seals shut with only the thin air from the high altitude in there. Then it will maybe spring a tiny little leak. Mine did. My friend's didn't.

climb512

Nov 25, 2001, 4:04 PM
Post #16 of 66 (8058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

they are great bottles, rugged,sturdy, fit in most pack side pockets, a biner clips them to your harness haul loop and best of all they are free....to me. my brother in law makes them, he works for nalge! better if he worked for black diamond, but ill take what i can get!

vaness

Nov 25, 2001, 5:08 PM
Post #17 of 66 (8058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have a nalgene bottel. i have droped it so many times! it hasnt leaked yet. but does anyone else notice that when you walk into school 75% of the school has a pink nalgene bottel cliped to there bag with a key chain biner? i hate that! its so annoying. i dont bring mine to school with me. i dont see a poind in bringing it and joining the "crowd" we have water fountains.
vanessa

mnutz

Nov 25, 2001, 6:48 PM
Post #18 of 66 (8058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can order your replacement caps online, Nalgene ships them UPS ground at no charge. Here is the link.

mnutz

Nov 25, 2001, 6:57 PM
Post #19 of 66 (8058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nalgene does guarantee their bottles not to break or leak. They will replace your bottle for free if it ever does.

howieehrlich

Nov 25, 2001, 7:05 PM
Post #20 of 66 (8058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bought them originally because they wont freeze. then, i was completely convinced when I dropped one into a granite rockfall from about 300 feet up when i was backpacking in northern California, didnt break, scratched to hell, but oh well, adds character. The only way ive ever seen one distroyed was at wrok (i work at a climbing gym) we had a bunch that had been sitting around for a couple months without being claimed, so someone tried to heat up lunch in one in a microwave and melted the side of it, so it looks realy deformed now. still sealed and usable though!

orestes1724

Nov 25, 2001, 7:11 PM
Post #21 of 66 (8058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have a nalgine bottle its yellow, its good to use on trips but i really hate it when people who never go anywhere bring them to school and clip them to their bag with their little fake biener...thats so annoying. its like why would you spend 8 bucks on something when you dont use it . people thease days...

rck_climber

Nov 25, 2001, 7:14 PM
Post #22 of 66 (8058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wandt, you're right to open it every now and then when doing some high-mountain stuff (14'ers or mountaineering) where you'll gain or lose a lot of elevation.

But the pressure inside on the way up is much higher inside the bottle than out - that's the same reason that all our soda bottles and bags of chips are ready to explode when they are delivered to this altitude. However, when you go back down (after taking some drinks up top) the pressure will be much lower inside the bottle than outside when you return to camp.

Mick

ratstar

Nov 25, 2001, 8:41 PM
Post #23 of 66 (8058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nalgene is the BEST hands down.

dustinap
Deleted

Nov 26, 2001, 2:02 AM
Post #24 of 66 (8058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What kind of bottles do you guys use? The white soft ones, or the hard ones that come in different colors?
I hve one of each, but which is supposably better? Or why is one better for which reason?

I know I sat a backpack that was about 50 lbs ontop on mine once, it deformed, but when I ran water into it and pushed on it, it poppped right back to normall.

mnutz

Nov 26, 2001, 2:30 AM
Post #25 of 66 (8058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The hard ones that come in colors are the ones I am refering to when I say Nalgene. These are made of lexan. They are very, very tough. They do not hold odors.

I have never used the other ones, except for the tiny ones that I use to put spices and seasonings in.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook