Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

leahmeryl

Jan 17, 2003, 4:52 PM
Post #1 of 63 (4673 views)
Shortcut

Dogs on climbing road trips?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm planning a sort-of cross country trip for 3 weeks in July. I want to bring my rott, but don't know how it will work out with climbing. Brought her camping a few times and she's great, but looking for opinions as to climbing. If I stay in a motel I can leave her there and she'll be fine, but the point is to bring her with me. Will it be too hot? Will she be bored? Do most parks let dogs in (offleash?)? Any info would be great!

jonzoclimber

Jan 17, 2003, 5:00 PM
Post #2 of 63 (4673 views)
Shortcut

Dogs on climbing road trips? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

just bring her and see what happens.... Worst case u have to tie her to a tree or something

holmeslovesguinness

Jan 17, 2003, 5:02 PM
Post #3 of 63 (4673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hate to say it, but depending on where you plan on climbing, the pooch may not be able to come with you. pretty much any place on federal land (especially national parks) will probably not allow dogs, or at the very least require them to be on a leash.

leahmeryl

Jan 17, 2003, 5:02 PM
Post #4 of 63 (4673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

She's really very sweet. She's rarely ever even been on a leash.

climbhigh23

Jan 17, 2003, 5:03 PM
Post #5 of 63 (4673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

take yer dog...what would a road trip be without your dog? as far as climbing goes, just make sure you keep her out of the rope of other climbers (and yours). i know this probably sounds stupid, but you'd be surprised how many times other peoples dogs end up in/on my rope. i love dogs, have 2 of my own, but i still don't like other peoples dogs running free while i am belaying....i would guess people that don't like dogs REALLY don't like it when other peoples dogs are bothersome when they are climbing/belaying. just keep her on a leash, with plenty of water and some shade, and it should be fine. if you roll through ohio, let me know.

roninthorne

Jan 17, 2003, 5:24 PM
Post #6 of 63 (4673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your dog on a road trip? At climbing areas? And a dog that, by nature and your own admitted predisposition, is unused to the leash?

In a word: NO.

How 'bout this scenario... while you are climbing, lost in the splendor and glory of nature and achieving your own set of goals, I will come over and walk all over your rope with muddy feet, urinate/defecate within your belay area, and dig through your pack for loose snacks and goodies. Then I'll pick a fight with your belayer and hump your girlfriend's leg, after which I'll go dig a nice erosion jumpstart at the base of the wall, take a nap, wake up and chase some squirrels (from whom I could catch several virulent diseases including but not limited to black plague), and hurry back to do it all over again, after lunch.

How much of that would you put up with from a human being, a life form capable of saving your life if the chips are down?

Then why in the world would you want to subject other climbers and crags to that sort of behavior from a form of life whose principle contribution to human existance has been the eradication of leftovers?

In twenty-plus years of travel and climbing all over this wonderful land of ours, the NUMBER ONE problem I have seen at crags has not been apathetic climbers, or bad attitudes, or failure of maintenance. It has been dogs. I love 'em, I've owned 'em, but there is no denying that, no matter how well-trained you may delude yourself into believing them to be, dogs at the crags are access and impact issues all rolled up into a socially-oblivious ball with the safety-consciousness of a fern.

Unless you foresee a very real probability of getting stranded deep in the backcountry and subsequently needing extra supplies of protein and a new pair of furry boots, DON'T BRING YOUR DOG.

[ This Message was edited by: roninthorne on 2003-01-17 09:27 ]

bandycoot

Jan 17, 2003, 5:36 PM
Post #7 of 63 (4673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My exp with dogs:

I have one that I take everywhere when I climb. He is a little 40 lb cutie that is very shy and couldn't bite someone if he wanted because he'd be too busy running away. I leash him while climbing, and he kicks it in the shade. I carry food and H20 for him ALL THE TIME. He is a perfect climbing dog that likes the outdoors, and is mildly descent off leash and not scary at all!!

Once I went to Tahquitz (without dog) and there was a little beagle looking dog. It went completely crazy as I tried to walk by and attacked. It bit me on the leg hard enough to draw blood, so I had to clock it with my climbing helmet in the head pretty damn hard. I F**ked that little guy up pretty good too. His owner had not leashed him, and was too busy belaying to deal with his dog, and was in a high traffic area. I was really pissed with the guy and dog and was pretty tempted to have the dog put down.

If there is ANY chance that you dog will bite someone, and I mean ANY don't bring it. Keep it on leash at all times unless in a truly remote area. People will be scared of the dog!

Dogs are not allowed something like 200' from the road in national parks. You either have to leave them behind or dodge the fuzz. They are allowed on NO trails in national parks.

hugepedro

Jan 17, 2003, 5:38 PM
Post #8 of 63 (4673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like dogs but I don't like to bring them climbing because I try to be considerate of other people.

My last partner would bring her dog often. He's a good dog, but there were issues. Some people are scared to death of dogs, and I felt really bad when I saw the absolute fear in some people's eyes as they walked past him. Climbs that had tricky approach scrambles were difficult and dangerous to get to with the dog in tow. He would whine and wimper anytime my partner was on the wall, distracting us and bothering other climbers. I finally had to say, "no more dog" please.

holmeslovesguinness

Jan 17, 2003, 6:02 PM
Post #9 of 63 (4673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, at crowded crags with lots of other people, dogs are kind of a pain. especially when you have multiple dogs thrown together, it's pretty distracting. i only take my dogs with me to an obscure local crag where the chance of seeing other people, let alone dogs, is pretty slim.

leaverbiner

Jan 17, 2003, 6:17 PM
Post #10 of 63 (4673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bring the Dog . . . don't listen people like roninthorne who clearly has serious issues . . . but do listen to the advice of others cautioning and recommending behavior . . . be considerate of others, understand that they may have a great deal of fear, and respect their enjoyment by cleaning up after your dog, always keeping it on a leash and taking proper care of the dog (bring at atleast as much water for the dog as you do for yourself, givin the size of your dog probably more that you would bring for yourself, somewhere in the neighborhood of a gallon for a day). Be ware of parks that don't allow dogs, and respect this restriction . . . but if dogs are allowed just be considerate and mindful of others, you and your pooch have as much of a right to enjoy the ootdoors as anyone else . . . but you have to take the responsibility for the dog's actions, every rule you follow for yourself you need to enforce for your dog, particularly in terms of pack it in pack it out, leave no trace, minimizing impact etc . . .

andesrocks

Jan 17, 2003, 6:34 PM
Post #11 of 63 (4673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not worth the risk for your dog. There are really weird people out there. Once my black lab saw a "friendly" guy next to our tent and went over to say hello. All he did was walk over and "stood" up on his back legs (no barking at all, but quite a few good lickings ), putting his front legs on the guy's chest. With one of his nails he scratched the fella's arm. Well...the guy called the cops saying my dog was dangerous. Almost got him put down....
Saddly, my advise is to leave your dog at home.

[ This Message was edited by: andesrocks on 2003-01-17 10:35 ]

grundleson

Jan 17, 2003, 7:00 PM
Post #12 of 63 (4673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its your dog. It goes where you go. ive taken my dog on many a' road trips and its worked out just fine. she just sleeps right outside with me next to my sleeping bag. i tie some rope onto the zipper of my bag and attach it to her. and i usually bring a fleece blanket for the pooch as well

but then again. who knows.

rockwomyn

Jan 17, 2003, 7:17 PM
Post #13 of 63 (4673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I take my dogs to the crag. however i always have them leashed. for the safety of others and for my peace of mind while on the rock. they just chill in the shade and don't bother anyone and watch my stuff when on multi-pitch. i really don't suggest letting her/him off the leash. i understand that he/she may be accustomed to being unleashed...as mine are when we back pack in more remote areas without other people or dogs. i say bring the dog..but abide by the rules...most parks required dogs to be leashed. do what you wish but i do get a little agitated myself by people who allow ther dogs to run leashless.....to me it is a distraction to me climbing and potentially to my belayer. i would much rather have my belay having eyes on me than playing with a friendly, lovable unleashed pup.

[ This Message was edited by: rockwomyn on 2003-01-17 12:36 ]

drdeath

Jan 17, 2003, 7:34 PM
Post #14 of 63 (4673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just be careful if you take your dog through tennessee.

Couple handcuffed, dog shot to death over lost wallet

pushfurther

Jan 17, 2003, 7:53 PM
Post #15 of 63 (4673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

keep your dog on a leash.

that way if it decides that i shouldn't be walking through the area, i can walk through safely and you won't find your dog dead when you rap down, with me asking for rabies certificates..

leahmeryl

Jan 17, 2003, 8:01 PM
Post #16 of 63 (4673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I really appreciate those of you replying with constructive feedback.

As for those of you who feel necessary to be rude and obnoxious... please send me a small article of your clothing or something else my dog can sniff so she can pick you out of a crowd easier.

pinnaclechick

Jan 17, 2003, 8:02 PM
Post #17 of 63 (4673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Reminds me of when my (ex) husband and I moved from TX to WA several years ago with my cat. One night we stayed in a hotel in Wyoming.. we looked around for a hotel with the doors on the outside, but couldn't find one. Well, it was the end of October and chilly at night, and there was no way I was making my cat stay in the truck all night. So we emptied a cooler and stuffed her inside, and smuggled her upstairs to our room. We got some funny looks from people on the elevator when we were standing there and suddenly the lid of the cooler popped up a couple inches and a strange sound came from within... I quickly sat on it.

Anyway.. before you take your dog along to the crags, please be sure it gets along with other dogs. I haven't seen many dogs act aggresively towards people, but I've seen a lot of near dog-fights. It's really distracting, and I can't imagine how anyone could manage to have a good time climbing if they always had to worry about their dog trying to eat someone else's.

MY .02.

climbhigh23

Jan 17, 2003, 8:05 PM
Post #18 of 63 (4673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well it looks as if we have an animal lover amongst us, huh?

nice work pushfurther...very constructive.

kman

Jan 17, 2003, 8:07 PM
Post #19 of 63 (4673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"please send me a small article of your clothing or something else my dog can sniff so she can pick you out of a crowd easier" yeah dude!

If dogs are allowed and it is as nice and well behaved as you say then bring it with you.

leahmeryl

Jan 17, 2003, 8:14 PM
Post #20 of 63 (4673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's dudette to you, buster.

holmeslovesguinness

Jan 17, 2003, 8:14 PM
Post #21 of 63 (4673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As for those of you who feel necessary to be rude and obnoxious... please send me a small article of your clothing or something else my dog can sniff so she can pick you out of a crowd easier.

Good one

nimo

Jan 17, 2003, 8:32 PM
Post #22 of 63 (4673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pushfurther, it is attitudes like that which often cause problems at crags with dogs. Also, if I came down from a climb to find my dog dead and you asking for rabies certificate rabies would be the least of your worries. You would be better off defecating all over my stuff and stealing my climbing gear than taking my dogs life.

roninthorne

Jan 17, 2003, 9:00 PM
Post #23 of 63 (4673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dear loserbiner-

How very droll...

Among the "serious issues" I have is the irritation caused by some $#!&ehead who doesn't know me from Lowell George spouting off a pop psych analysis of me from a distance, instead of addressing the topic.

My opinion on the negative impact of dogs at the crags has been formed by observation and experience over the last two decades, during which I have climbed all across America, WITH AND WITHOUT A DOG OF MY OWN.

Sorry, but I am not some conveniently dog-hating extremist who would fit comfortably into the tiny box of your mental categories. I am a dog owner who has seen the good and bad of trying to share an experience with your dog that in no way profits the dog.

As for leashing your dog at the base... have any of you people ever heard of rock fall?

Do you love your dog so much that you'll leave them to become talus meat when one of those holds up there finally yields to gravity and leverage?

How very commendable... now you are not only inconveniencing (and endangering) the climbers around you, you're also willing to sacrifice your dog to your need for constant companionship. Bravo.

Leahmeryl- when you ask a question and/or state an opinion on a public forum, you should probably expect to defend your position. Not my rules, just a constant in human interactions.

And, BTW... should your dog find me in a crowd, I'd be more than happy to demonstrate the survival uses to which it can be put. But I do like the way this loveable, trouble free creature whose presence at the crags you are trying to rationalize is now being used as a threat. I think that says all there is to say about the issue, don't you?

[ This Message was edited by: roninthorne on 2003-01-17 13:02 ]

pushfurther

Jan 17, 2003, 9:17 PM
Post #24 of 63 (4673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:But I do like the way this loveable, trouble free creature whose presence at the crags you are trying to rationalize is now being used as a threat. I think that says all there is to say about the issue, don't you?

i believe the words are OOOOOOOOOBURN!!!1

and climbhigh..as for being an animal lover, how do you know i am not? i've worked in various vet hospitals and animal shelters, and volunteered my time to help adopt dogs and cats from local shelters..

but the fact remains that if i was hiking through the woods and a strange dog attacked me, i wouldn't hesitate to kill it. poor rover may have been your best buddy, but that doesn't matter to me. leash him or leave him at home.

climbhigh23

Jan 17, 2003, 9:49 PM
Post #25 of 63 (4568 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pushfurther -

i guess i was under the impression that an animal lover wouldn't threaten to kill a dog...something fundamentally wrong with that. so, sorry, you are an animal lover, just one that is talking about killing a dog.

i do agree that rover should be on a leash, regardless of how well trained or friendly he/she is.

peace...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook