RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

lildragon

Nov 26, 2001, 6:16 PM
Post #1 of 8 (4119 views)
Shortcut

anti-snow plates
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

how important do you think anti-snow plates are for crampons? i'm looking to get a pair of grivel G12 cramp-o-matic's (anyone have any opinions of them?) off a mail order site, but i can't find plates for them. i heard ball-ups happen much more frequently on vertical railed rigids (WI cramps), rather than semi-rigids (all purpose) like these. i've used charlet moser S12's before for ice and snow, and had no problem without the plates. any opinions out there? help a brother out.

wallhammer

Nov 27, 2001, 12:35 AM
Post #2 of 8 (4119 views)
Shortcut

anti-snow plates [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

as always, it depends on the type of snow you are in. dry powder or the wet stuff. G-12s are a very good crampon and I have the plates on both my sets just cause they make em. A16 on the west coast carries them or you can make your own out of inner tube or thin teflon sheet. they are not that pricey, and when you stick your crampons together to carry them on your pack, the rubber anti snow plates help keep the sharp ends from snagging everything.

bradhill

Mar 22, 2002, 11:00 PM
Post #3 of 8 (4119 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It depends on conditions, but I'd say get 'em. I've got G12s, too. Usually balling isn't a problem, but one day I got stuck doing 8 miles of glacier travel in AK after 8" of fresh snow. I got really sick of kicking my feet hard or tapping with an ice axe at every step to make descending safe. I was accumulating like 4" of snow on the bottom of each foot with every plunge step.

Basically it's one of those things that won't happen often, but when it does it's a huge pain in the ass.

If you're just doing day trips, you can spray your cramons with Pam for the same effect, but it doesn't last too long. Also, you can replace the adjustment components in the G12 with screws once you've got them fit, giving less stuff for snow to stick to.

beyond_gravity

Mar 23, 2002, 11:39 PM
Post #4 of 8 (4119 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'd say you'd definatly want the Antibot plates. I've got Frigel Rambo crampons and Simond Alligator, I have plates for both and I still have problems in wet snow with them balling up, if It dont have plates i may as well not wear crampons. I'd say it depends on how often you like to kick your boots togeather, that is no pro on easy stuff, but on 65º slopes...Yikes!

rustyhardman

Mar 24, 2002, 5:01 PM
Post #5 of 8 (4119 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use the Grivel 2F's for moutaineering. They are a great concept but due to their "cookie cutter" shape they ball up horribly and constantly! I couldnt find anti-balling plates for a while so I improvised using ski base material cut into the shape of the crampon and duct taped into place. It solved all my problems and works incredibly well. Many ski shops will sell you a couple feet of the material for next to nothing and it is very light weight. Anyway, its a cheap and customized alternative that works as well as anything you can buy.

Rusty

Partner polarwid

Apr 26, 2002, 10:36 PM
Post #6 of 8 (4119 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Crampomatics as well, bought off E-bay and the guy included the plates. Definately a plus here in Alaska in the spring, snow like wet concrete. I have a partner who uses old bleach or laudry detergent bottle and cuts the shape out of them, but he loses two or three per trip, not very environmentally friendly
Always good to have them when you need them!

jtcronk

Apr 27, 2002, 5:08 AM
Post #7 of 8 (4119 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used G-12's in the past, as well as Charlet Moser Black Ice's. If you're going to be in any wet/slushy conditions, the plates are a plus. If that type of condition will be more the exception that the rule, you can always punt and use duct tape on both top and bottom surfaces (sticky sides together). I was in Alaska a few years ago and the slush was frustrating and found the duct tape trick. It actually held up for the whole trip, for whatever that's worth.....

bradhill

Apr 28, 2002, 2:47 AM
Post #8 of 8 (4119 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another small benefit is that the antibot plates act as another layer of insulation between your feet and the snow.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook