Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
traveling thru NM in January
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

arrockgirl

Nov 26, 2001, 11:35 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1550 views)
Shortcut

traveling thru NM in January  (North_America: United_States: Nevada: Southern_Nevada: Bull_Horn_Park: Mama_s_Kitchen)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I will be traveling thru NM in January and was wondering what is the farthest north I could expect good weather, and beta on best sites. Will be headed up to CO to Ouray for ice climbing. Appreciate suggestions, interested climbing partners, etc. Thanks

beta

Dec 1, 2001, 1:36 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1550 views)
Shortcut

traveling thru NM in January [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

January can be iffy, There are some sport climbing routes in socorro that may be ok if they are south facing or the weather isn't too cold. Weather can be cold and windy, some snow.

Up in Albuquerque, the Sandias are good if you are interested in trad. The approaches are tough from the few places on the bottom, most people go to the crest and rap off to find routes. Rock is chossy at best.

The Sandia Select climbing guide can give you good beta on the Sandias. Available at REI.

There is a good climbing gym if you want to work out the kinks, Stone Age Climbing, easily accessed off of I-25 at Commanche Blvd. Hope that helps .(you ice climbers are sicko's HEE HEE), enjoy the holidays and happy climbing.

Jeff

arrockgirl

Dec 1, 2001, 2:01 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1550 views)
Shortcut

traveling thru NM in January [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, Jeff. We are just going to kind of watch the weather, and if a big blizzard blows up and we can't drive, then we'll just head south. I'm not too fond of itineraries!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook