Forums: Climbing Information: Access Issues & Closures:
The Access Issue
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

talons05

Nov 27, 2001, 12:38 AM
Post #1 of 6 (3562 views)
Shortcut

The Access Issue  (North_America: United_States: Arkansas: Ozarks: Springdale_Bouldering_Area)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok folks, here's the deal: I was home in Fayetteville for Thanksgiving, and so I stopped by the bouldering area to check on things. Right now it looks like the back half is closed. The overhang and adjacent walls all the way back to the "icebox" are still open. However, past that there is a barricade in the path and a sign threatening criminal prosecution. Respect this sign. Do not go into the back areas. I am working right now to find out who owns the land so that I can write them a letter. We will get this issue resolved as quickly as possible, but until we do, please respect the laws and continue to enjoy the remaining areas.

AW

talons05

Nov 27, 2001, 12:51 AM
Post #2 of 6 (3562 views)
Shortcut

The Access Issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh yeah, and email me with questions, gripes, or suggestions about this...

AW

gator211

Dec 30, 2001, 6:39 AM
Post #3 of 6 (3562 views)
Shortcut

The Access Issue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was recently contacted by a local that suggested that the climbing activity at the Springdale bouldering area slow down considerably if not stop all together for the time being. If you climb there you know about the new no trespassing signs on the road past the overhang. He and several of the other locals are going to try and talk with the owner of the surrounding areas in the spring. They have a decent relationship with the man, and they think they can cool things down.
He (the Fay local that contacted me) told me the story of the Goshen crag and how a resident of the area doesn't have to own the area to make the place unclimbable...like by slashing tires, and threatening the neighbors if they allow the climbers to climb. It would definitely be a shame if the area was closed completely or the residents go Goshen on us.

I'm curious to know what other people think about the issue.

talons05

Sep 10, 2003, 5:32 PM
Post #4 of 6 (3562 views)
Shortcut

Do they have something to hide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wanted to resurrect this post, as it is now becoming prime climbing weather. For those of us who work 70+ hrs a week, springdale is one of the few spots to get in some daily rock-time... Anyone who has new access beta or suggestions, let's hear them... Personally, I don't think it's right that someone who doesn't even own the land is trying to shut down perfectly harmless use... I don't appreciate losing my climbing spot to help keep some redneck's meth-lab hidden.

A.W.

Partner missedyno

Sep 10, 2003, 7:16 PM
Post #5 of 6 (3562 views)
Shortcut

crazylikeafawkes moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

crazylikeafawkes moved this thread from Regional Discussions to Access Issues & Closures.

A good reason to wake up a post! Hopefully here in Access Issues & Closures it will be given the proper attention

peas

Sep 10, 2003, 11:47 PM
Post #6 of 6 (3562 views)
Shortcut

Re: crazylikeafawkes moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Perhaps a more descriptive title will give it more specific attention as well.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook